Thread: Needing help with questions about where and how to reload

Question Needing help with questions about where and how to reload

Being new to owning a gun I have a couple questions about where and how to reload. I have taken a couple gun classes/ tactical handgun and a defense handgun and been told that I need to practices my reloads 2 different way one said one way the other told me something else and I was needing to know witch way is best for my goal as of now it is for personal defense not ruling out I might go to a local IDPA match.

1. Should I get use to reloading at chin level where I can see what I am doing but where the gun blocks some of my vision on the target or at chest level where I can keep my vision on the target?

2. What is a good time to set my goal for in performing a reload?

Welcome!

1. Reloading in your "workspace" is slightly below eye level, where you can maintain visual awareness of your surroundings / situation, while also reloading your handgun in an efficient & expeditious manner. Reloading at chest or waist level is not recommended, as you are looking down and away from the threat & not maintaining situational awareness.

2. From concealment, doing the FAST Drill, I'm trying to get a reload completed in under 2.3 seconds or so.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by xdm View Post
    1. Should I get use to reloading at chin level where I can see what I am doing but where the gun blocks some of my vision on the target or at chest level where I can keep my vision on the target?

2. What is a good time to set my goal for in performing a reload?

Agreed about the work space.

Take a look at the videos in the Drills / Practice section. Todd teaches a very good way to do a reload in his FAST class. Take a look at post 7 here by Jody. See how is elbows index on his body bringing the mag and pistol together just under eye level? This is a good starting point.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...est-(F.A.S.T.)

If you can get ahold of the Magpul Dynamics handgun video, they both verbally and visually describe the reload in-depth. They describe "work space" in great detail. Excellent video for the beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    If you can get ahold of the Magpul Dynamics handgun video, they both verbally and visually describe the reload in-depth. They describe "work space" in great detail. Excellent video for the beginner.
    Their videos do provide a great reference at times. Here is the clip you referenced:

Something I can't seem to pick up on the video's because of the angles or they're just too damn fast- when you bring the gun how much do you turn it? I'm finding that as I glance down to look the mag in, if the gun is in perfect profile I miss the insertion. If I turn it enough to slightly see the opening in the magwell it works much better, but is obviously a little slower to turn back and get on target. Also at what point do you release the mag from the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Something I can't seem to pick up on the video's because of the angles or they're just too damn fast- when you bring the gun how much do you turn it? I'm finding that as I glance down to look the mag in, if the gun is in perfect profile I miss the insertion. If I turn it enough to slightly see the opening in the magwell it works much better, but is obviously a little slower to turn back and get on target. Also at what point do you release the mag from the gun?
    I turn it inwards so that I an see up the magwell. As for releasing, as soon as I start the mag change, I drop the mag as soon as I start reaching for the one on the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Thanks for the info on the video. I just ordered it from amazon.com.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Put the heals of your hands and your pinkies together with your palms facing you. Your elbows should be near the bottom of your rib cage on each side. This is what I use as an index point. (learned it from Todd, works great) When the pistol and the mag come together here you still have a view of the action and the tool will come to the same place every time. I tilt the pistol so I can see the far side of the magwell, not the entire opening. This will also put you in a good position to do a smooth press out for follow up shots.

That's perfect JFK and GT, thanks a bunch. I'll get the full scoop at AFHF next week, but this will definitely give me a head start.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFK View Post
    Put the heals of your hands and your pinkies together with your palms facing you. Your elbows should be near the bottom of your rib cage on each side. This is what I use as an index point. (learned it from Todd, works great) When the pistol and the mag come together here you still have a view of the action and the tool will come to the same place every time. I tilt the pistol so I can see the far side of the magwell, not the entire opening. This will also put you in a good position to do a smooth press out for follow up shots.

User Tag List