Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: LAPD gets 1st delivery of new FN 509s

Site Supporter
    The FNS experience at my former agency does leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth. This was compounded by FN representatives at a long ago promotional gig trying to convince me that all the California SWAT teams and the FDLE special operations teams were adopting the FN5.7. This was exacerbated by the cool guy firearms instructors trying to push me out of the program desperate to choose a pistol that, #1, the county police did not carry abd, #2, that we'd be really cool because almost no other agency carried the FNS.

That bile spewed, FN clearly makes some quality firearms. I will also comment that FN was quick to admit and attempt to correct the issues with our weapons, FN replaced barrels and magazines with no issues. That resolved most of the issues. Many of the problems stemmed from pistol-mounted lights. Ironically enough, our new cool guy firearms training coordinator had decided PML's would be mandated with our new pistols.That policy didn't last long.

While I haven't shot the FN 509, it seems better than the FNS. For the sake of LAPD officers, I hope it is.

I will remark that, when we realized our FNS-9's were garbage. I didn't send a department-wide email suggesting we ask FN to trade our FNS-9's for Hi-Powers.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It’s not like we didn’t already have a whole thread on the topic…https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ws-You-Can-Use

But the Cliff notes:

The FN 509 has the best factory modular optics mounting system. That’s not based solely on Cowan’s opinion.

The FN 509 has passed other agency testing (including my own) but simply did not get the contract in those instances. It’s a quality gun. This from someone who would not recommend any prior FN polymer service pistol for any serious use. Simply put when the MHS solicitation came up FN finally got serious about service pistols and they unfucked themselves.

This particular model for LAPD comes with an Apex trigger (or at least the trigger shoe) as OEM.

LAPD doesn’t transition the entire Dept when the switch guns. The new gun is what is issued to new hires for the life of the contract. In-service officers previously qualified on other striker fired platforms such as Glock and Smith and Wesson have the option of keeping their existing guns or transitioning to the FN at their own expense if they wish. LAPD previously had Glocks in 40 and 9mm and dropped them for S&W M&P 9mm, which is now being “replaced” by the FN. So LAPD is very familiar with Glocks.

Without getting into the weeds on the VP9, the HK VP9 has not fared well in US LE Agency trials and I’m not aware of any significant institutional users in the US.
    I stopped reading words about FN pistols some years ago. This was really interesting and a great "catch up". Now I'm going to read that thread.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

What are the chances FN releases this configuration to the non-LEO market?

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I will remark that, when we realized our FNS-9's were garbage. I didn't send a department-wide email suggesting we ask FN to trade our FNS-9's for Hi-Powers.
    But somebody did?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Without getting into the weeds on the VP9, the HK VP9 has not fared well in US LE Agency trials and I’m not aware of any significant institutional users in the US.
    Well, now that you said it, weeds are always interesting...
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Well, now that you said it, weeds are always interesting...
    I'd like to hear this because, well, it's the internet and nothing says you care like derailing a perfectly uninteresting thread about FN with chatter about an H&K rival.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    There's a department local to me that issues the 509 and...well...it's not gone well.

The lug on the front of the magazine that holds it in the gun tends to wear to the point where I know officers who are literally holding an issued magazine in the gun teacup style to get it to work. (Replace it? Are you kidding? That would cost money!)

In addition I've had personnel from that department show up to training sessions with guns that were unable to fire. As in present the gun from the holster, press trigger, get absolutely nothing. As well as failures to reset. Even allowing for stupid user tricks it's deeply concerning.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeBee View Post
    What are the chances FN releases this configuration to the non-LEO market?
    There’s no reason not to outside the CA market.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    There's a department local to me that issues the 509 and...well...it's not gone well.

The lug on the front of the magazine that holds it in the gun tends to wear to the point where I know officers who are literally holding an issued magazine in the gun teacup style to get it to work. (Replace it? Are you kidding? That would cost money!)

In addition I've had personnel from that department show up to training sessions with guns that were unable to fire. As in present the gun from the holster, press trigger, get absolutely nothing. As well as failures to reset. Even allowing for stupid user tricks it's deeply concerning.
    Interesting. We ran 10 examples through 10,000 rounds each in 250 round increments, 5 with TLR-1s mounted and 5 without, with no such issues.

Given our results, the LAPD’s results and the results of at least one medium sized Dept that tested 509s I’d be curious to know what the disconnect is.

They wouldn’t be the first company to have guns go out with bad batches of parts from sun contractors.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    But somebody did?
    Sadly, no. I doubt either the firearms training staff nor the admin building would have found the proposal as amusing as it might be received here. Of course, with the increased use of the Staccato 2011 in law enforcement and the reintroduction of the Hi-Power by both FN and Springfield, the proposal might have had some legs.

User Tag List