Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: LAPD gets 1st delivery of new FN 509s

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    So it's as good as direct milling in regards to support of the optic but retaining modularity?

And I'm hoping the ACRO footprint becomes standard. Just seems like a better idea than relying on tiny screws.
    I’d say it’s damn close. I ran a lot of rounds through the factory dpp setup and had zero problems. The apex Acro plate fit tight and also had zero issues. Interested to see how this chpws plate shakes out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The optic mounting has me interested in this pistol.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    For anyone interested, there is a great threat over on the FN forums where a user has about a dozen different combinations between Apex, factory, and ShootingSight striker, trigger, and sear combinations. He has a video showing the amount of pre-travel, creep, and over travel with each. Pretty neat for someone to do since working on these pistols is a bear.

https://www.fnforum.net/threads/509-.../#post-1565346

Any updates on the performance of the LE models for the LAPD?
    Last edited by KentuckyWindage; 11-11-2023 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWindage View Post
    I was curious as well. Still very surprised that LAPD picked this pistol as their new duty pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyWindage View Post
    No news may be good news lol. Sometimes when we hear multiple stories (p320) it’s never a good thing. Hopefully they are doing what they are supposed to and they have nothing to report back about.

I love my midsize and being able to thread your rmr directly to the slide instead of into the plate is pretty big imo.

Whenever my wife and I watch Bosch Legacy, I look hard for a FN 509 but haven't seen one yet!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    No news may be good news lol. Sometimes when we hear multiple stories (p320) it’s never a good thing. Hopefully they are doing what they are supposed to and they have nothing to report back about.

I love my midsize and being able to thread your rmr directly to the slide instead of into the plate is pretty big imo.

I would tend to believe so as well. I know they are being fielded as a few officer involved shooting videos have shown the 509 with a RMR or another red dot.

Quote Originally Posted by awmp View Post
    I was curious as well. Still very surprised that LAPD picked this pistol as their new duty pistol.
    I'm not surprised, LAPD only paid $180 per gun and I'm not convinced FN wouldn't have only charged them $1 per gun if they had pushed the issue, so there is that...

I don't know anyone down at LAPD anymore to ask, but I don't think you are going to hear too much negative about them. They're a typical 9mm modern striker-fired polymer service pistol. I'm sure they are going to work and serve their purpose just fine.

When we went through the armorer's class and evaluated them in early 2022 we found they shot well, but were a bit of a pain at an armorer level to maintain compared to other options like the Glock, S&W M&P, or SIG P320. FN's answer was the gun didn't need any servicing until 20,000 rounds which is far above the average police pistol's service life (not wrong there). I asked the rep about when an officer goes swimming with the pistol (happens more often then you would think) or when it gets soaked in inclement weather and he didn't really have an answer for that. FN supplied LAPD with a special press to disassemble the FN receivers, which your average consumer or smaller department isn't going to have. A Glock can be fully stripped with a 3/32 punch (or a sacrificial Bic pen in a jam). The newer M&P's only require a 3/32 punch and a couple hex wrenches to access the safety plunger under the plate. So to me, the FN 509 is needlessly more complex than these.

LAPD in the past twenty years has issued the Beretta 92FS, Glock 22, Glock 17, S&W M&P, and now the FN 509. Give it a few years and they'll probably switch to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    ...When we went through the armorer's class and evaluated them in early 2022 we found they shot well, but were a bit of a pain at an armorer level to maintain compared to other options like the Glock, S&W M&P, or SIG P320. FN's answer was the gun didn't need any servicing until 20,000 rounds which is far above the average police pistol's service life (not wrong there). I asked the rep about when an officer goes swimming with the pistol (happens more often then you would think) or when it gets soaked in inclement weather and he didn't really have an answer for that. FN supplied LAPD with a special press to disassemble the FN receivers, which your average consumer or smaller department isn't going to have. A Glock can be fully stripped with a 3/32 punch (or a sacrificial Bic pen in a jam). The newer M&P's only require a 3/32 punch and a couple hex wrenches to access the safety plunger under the plate. So to me, the FN 509 is needlessly more complex than these.
    Thanks for this comparison. The FN 509 sounds like a hard pass for me, and I won't be recommending it to anyone.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List