Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LAPD gets 1st delivery of new FN 509s

LAPD gets 1st delivery of new FN 509s

News not directly related to 2022 SHOT Show:

https://www.police1.com/police-produ...fe849-83973760

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

How the heck did they justify choosing that over a comparable Glock, or, for that matter, HK?

Best, Jon

Holy bore axis!

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    How the heck did they justify choosing that over a comparable Glock, or, for that matter, HK?

Best, Jon
    Cynically, money talks. Without any research on my part I’m sure the price-per-unit, additional equipment/parts, and training was very attractive.

FWIW, Aaron Cowan has said in multiple mediums that he believes the FN optic mounting system to be the best that is currently available. He may not be the “end-all” SME but his opinion is noteworthy. To be fair, I don’t really monitor the influencer crowd so that opinion may have changed.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    FN got the contract at my former agency by undercutting the S&W offer so money may talk. After the disastrous experience of the FNS-9, I'm sure FN was salivating to get a prestige contract like LAPD even at a low profit.

There is some info on the testing done in this article.

https://www.police1.com/police-produ...1x0A7c0gNUs1V/

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Cynically, money talks. Without any research on my part I’m sure the price-per-unit, additional equipment/parts, and training was very attractive.

FWIW, Aaron Cowan has said in multiple mediums that he believes the FN optic mounting system to be the best that is currently available. He may not be the “end-all” SME but his opinion is noteworthy. To be fair, I don’t really monitor the influencer crowd so that opinion may have changed.
    My guess is any manufacturer would have made whatever mounting system the LAPD wanted to have that contract

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post

Best, Jon
    It’s not like we didn’t already have a whole thread on the topic…https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ws-You-Can-Use

But the Cliff notes:

The FN 509 has the best factory modular optics mounting system. That’s not based solely on Cowan’s opinion.

The FN 509 has passed other agency testing (including my own) but simply did not get the contract in those instances. It’s a quality gun. This from someone who would not recommend any prior FN polymer service pistol for any serious use. Simply put when the MHS solicitation came up FN finally got serious about service pistols and they unfucked themselves.

This particular model for LAPD comes with an Apex trigger (or at least the trigger shoe) as OEM.

LAPD doesn’t transition the entire Dept when the switch guns. The new gun is what is issued to new hires for the life of the contract. In-service officers previously qualified on other striker fired platforms such as Glock and Smith and Wesson have the option of keeping their existing guns or transitioning to the FN at their own expense if they wish. LAPD previously had Glocks in 40 and 9mm and dropped them for S&W M&P 9mm, which is now being “replaced” by the FN. So LAPD is very familiar with Glocks.

Without getting into the weeds on the VP9, the HK VP9 has not fared well in US LE Agency trials and I’m not aware of any significant institutional users in the US.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-19-2022 at 11:44 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    My guess is any manufacturer would have made whatever mounting system the LAPD wanted to have that contract
    The mounting system on the FN 509 was developed for the MHS contract not for the LAPD contract.

And since LAPD does not switch out the entire department when they switch guns it’s not that lucrative. The only people being issued FN 509’s are new hires going through the Academy during the life of the contract.

The real benefit is collateral sales and getting agencies to look at FN who would have other wise only looked at the big 3- Glock, SIG, S&W.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-19-2022 at 11:41 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    FN got the contract at my former agency by undercutting the S&W offer so money may talk. After the disastrous experience of the FNS-9, I'm sure FN was salivating to get a prestige contract like LAPD even at a low profit.

I was an FN pistol hater for a long time. The FNP, FNX, and FNS are all pieces of s**t. In fact I have m, on this forum been calling out incidents of the FNS discharging in duty holsters long before the P320 was released.

That said, when the military MHS contract came up m, FN got serious, hired some real talent and unfucked themselves.
    The FN MHS entrant and the non-public version of that tested by my agency were both essentially FN 509’s. The 509 is a safe and reliable service pistol on par with Glock Smith & Wesson SIG etc.

I can certainly understand your personal distaste for FN given what a turd the FNS was, but there’s a lot of people in this thread talking a lot of s**t about things they know nothing about.

One thing you are correct about is that while the actual sales to LAPD are minimal since they don’t transition the entire department the collateral sales in southern California and from other agencies that might not have looked at the 509 are worth a lot of money.

User Tag List