Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LAPD gets 1st delivery of new FN 509s

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    The FN rep for the LAPD gun told me the trigger is an LAPD design spec worked over a few iterations to what it is on this version. Quite possible LAPD took APEX attributes into account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The trigger shoe appears to be APEX. You may be correct about the internals it’s attached to.

Doesn’t FN have other 509 models that come with the apex trigger is OEM?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by kjr_29 View Post
    The FN rep for the LAPD gun told me the trigger is an LAPD design spec worked over a few iterations to what it is on this version. Quite possible LAPD took APEX attributes into account.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The trigger shoe appears to be APEX. You may be correct about the internals it’s attached to.

Doesn’t FN have other 509 models that come with the apex trigger is OEM?
    At the end of the video below FN Rep at SHOT show states all 509s going forward will come with the LAPD trigger.

LAPD doesn’t transition the entire Dept when the switch guns. The new gun is what is issued to new hires for the life of the contract. In-service officers previously qualified on other striker fired platforms such as Glock and Smith and Wesson have the option of keeping their existing guns or transitioning to the FN at their own expense if they wish.
    "First delivery" sounds impressive, but it's enough for training cadre and academy classes. I doubt LAPD wants to maintain a large inventory of unissued pistols.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

At the end of the video below FN Rep at SHOT show states all 509s going forward will come with the LAPD trigger.

We will see how it shakes out, but I'm not holding my breath. I have not had favorable experiences with the FN striker pistols, FNS or 509s.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

That is a good thing, it was pretty nice.

Hopefully this is a better version of the trigger found in the 509 LS "Edge". FN seemed to get the 509 about right and then said "Hey, let's make the trigger suck" yet sadly the Edge wasn't much better than stock. I know, trigger snobbery, but seriously the trigger is atrocious compared to competitor offerings.

I'm interested to see how the 509 evolves and improves.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Vending Machine Operator
    My reaction is pretty similar to when the military chose the P320. It's not my favorite nor would it have been my first choice, but for the men and women on the ground who deserve a good sidekick I hope it evolves successfully. Some promising progress from release, seems like.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    LVMPD shooting of kidnapping suspect. One officer had an FN 509 with optic.

But the Cliff notes:

The FN 509 has the best factory modular optics mounting system. That’s not based solely on Cowan’s opinion.

The FN 509 has passed other agency testing (including my own) but simply did not get the contract in those instances. It’s a quality gun. This from someone who would not recommend any prior FN polymer service pistol for any serious use. Simply put when the MHS solicitation came up FN finally got serious about service pistols and they unfucked themselves.

This particular model for LAPD comes with an Apex trigger (or at least the trigger shoe) as OEM.

LAPD doesn’t transition the entire Dept when the switch guns. The new gun is what is issued to new hires for the life of the contract. In-service officers previously qualified on other striker fired platforms such as Glock and Smith and Wesson have the option of keeping their existing guns or transitioning to the FN at their own expense if they wish. LAPD previously had Glocks in 40 and 9mm and dropped them for S&W M&P 9mm, which is now being “replaced” by the FN. So LAPD is very familiar with Glocks.

Without getting into the weeds on the VP9, the HK VP9 has not fared well in US LE Agency trials and I’m not aware of any significant institutional users in the US.
    I was tasked with replacing our Sig Classic firearms in 2018.

Of the 6 models in the test, the 509 & VP9 were in the lower half, only beating the APX. The biggest gripe about the 509 was the difficulty depressing the mag release.
    Last edited by iWander; 01-29-2022 at 06:02 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by iWander View Post
    I was tasked with replacing our Sig Classic firearms in 2018.

Of the 6 models in the test, the 509 & VP9 were in the lower half, only beating the APX. The biggest gripe about the 509 was the difficulty depressing the mag release.
    The 509 mags being difficult to release has been a common issue. The 509’s predecessor, the FNS had the opposite issue. Seems like FN over corrected.

User Tag List