Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Candela SureFire Lights Release

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    Interesting. I’ve been extremely underwhelmed with my PHLV2 light. Throws pretty good, but spill and light color I’m just not a fan of. At this point my EDCL2T never gets carried and I primarily carry a 1k lumen stiletto. I may get the new EDCL2T and dump the Modlight if it makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I could not stand the color temp. of the Modlite I played with. Cloud Defense is way better on color temp.

I think some don't notice temp. or all they care about is lumens/throw NOT what they can actually see (warmer lights give much better definition outdoors for me)

For me the cooler lights get (notably) more reflection off of fog and smoke (like on a range) than warmer/neutral temps.

Curious what the new SF lights will be like.
    Looking forward to 4h new SF offerings as an update to a scout with a Malkoff head or P60 modular adapter.

Regarding the Modlite, the 5K heads are a good option but not always available. I have an early larger one which has more spill that’s the recent slimmer heads. It makes a great handheld without the cool blue hue which I also don’t care for.

5000k is "warmer" but not "warm".

Around 4k is where there is definition and depth at least for me.

I'm just in a holding pattern until Cloud Defensive puts out their handgun light.

I do appreciate Surefire for sticking to the same form factor. I'm sure there are compromises they made, keeping that as a priority. At some point, Surefire (as well as Streamlight), will have to consider changing their body shapes to keep up with companies like Modlite and Cloud.

I’ve been a 99% Surefire guy for about 20 years now. I still have my first: a 60 lumen E2 incandescent. At this point I have an XC1B on my EDC 19, a 1,000 lumen X300U on my nightstand/training G45, a 1,500 lumen M600DF scout on my carbine, and a 500 lumen M300 scout pro.

In simple, non-flashlight geek laymen’s terms, what does this mean? What is candela vs lumens? I googled it and didn’t find a clear, real-world answer.
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I’ve been a 99% Surefire guy for about 20 years now. I still have my first: a 60 lumen E2 incandescent. At this point I have an XC1B on my EDC 19, a 1,000 lumen X300U on my nightstand/training G45, a 1,500 lumen M600DF scout on my carbine, and a 500 lumen M300 scout pro.

In simple, non-flashlight geek laymen’s terms, what does this mean? What is candela vs lumens? I googled it and didn’t find a clear, real-world answer.
    Lumens: Raw amount of light coming out of the flashlight
    Candela: Concentration of the light onto a single point

Quote Originally Posted by TeeBee View Post
    Lumens: Raw amount of light coming out of the flashlight
    Candela: Concentration of the light onto a single point
    Perfect, thank you!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

• Luminous flux = lumens (total output of light in all directions)
    • Luminous intensity = candela (point source brightness)
    • Illuminance = lux (equal to one lumen per square meter at stated distance)

At one meter, candela and lux yield the same value.

For evaluating what a beam pattern might look like based on the specs;

I find a ratio of around 25:1 candela-to-lumens produces a good balance of brightness to overall output for EDC use. Example: Malkoff M91T (750 lumens/19,000 candela).

Ratios under that produce a more evenly lit beam with a less discernible hot spot. Example: Malkoff Bodyguard v2. (1,000 lumens/12,000 candela).

Ratios over that produce a more intense hot spot with fewer lumens going into the spill. Example: Malkoff E2XTD (650 lumens/70,000 candela).

Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    An analogy I've liked is water out a hose. Lumens would be how much water comes out of the hose, while water pressure (and thus how far the water goes) is like candela.

I wonder if/when the tactical world will start latching onto CRI.

User Tag List