Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for other Protonmail Users...

Question for other Protonmail Users...

Do you know/think/feel that your emails end up in other's people's spam a lot?

I only have anecdotal evidence, but it seems that since I started using Protonmail, if I send an "unsolicited" email (i.e. I'm initiating the contact), I hear that my emails seem to end up in the spam folder more often than not. I've tried using the different host address (*@protonmail.ch, *@pm.me, etc.) and they don't seem to make any difference.

Anyone else seeing this?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Do you know/think/feel that your emails end up in other's people's spam a lot?

I only have anecdotal evidence, but it seems that since I started using Protonmail, if I send an "unsolicited" email (i.e. I'm initiating the contact), I hear that my emails seem to end up in the spam folder more often than not. I've tried using the different host address (*@protonmail.ch, *@pm.me, etc.) and they don't seem to make any difference.

Anyone else seeing this?
    I haven't had this issue. I'm not generally sending a ton a personal emails, but I haven't had any issues.

I have yet to run into that issue.

There are a LOT of other factors in an email that can affect deliverability like that. Stuff like use of certain words or punctuation in certain ways can do it. Same goes for pictures and certain types of links.

One thing worth considering with them is a paid account plus using a custom email domain. Buy a web domain for usually ~$8-20/yr (Namecheap is a good option), and then you can connect it with ProtonMail to create your own branded email. The "Plus" plan is $48/yr, which allows this. Why might you want to do this? Being that it's a separate domain from the standard protonmail.whatever domains, it's a clean slate to send from. Also, for anyone that has even a small business, looks much more professional.

Additionally, on their "Professional" plan ($75/yr), it gives you the capability for a catch-all email. What this enables you to do is effectively create unlimited "fake" emails for various purposes that can have the side benefit of increasing security. For example, creating a separate "fake" email for EVERY single online account you create. These wouldn't be separate emails with inboxes, and would instead reroute to your catch-all account. For example, these would be valid emails:

HTML Code:
    example@mydomain.com
    example+1@mydomain.com
    example+2@mydomain.com
    example+3@mydomain.com
    example+4@mydomain.com
    Imagine the first is your catch-all. Each account you create could have a fake email like the numbered examples (many other valid ways to write those, so doesn't have to be that format). Any email sent to them (like forum notifications, for example) would route to the catch-all account. Now, if anyone tries to hack any of your accounts, if every single one is a different email and password, you have defense in depth.

Just a few random things hopefully people find useful.

Site Supporter
    Without boring everyone with details, the company I manage fraud prevention for starting seeing so many users with Protonmail who had fake or stolen identities that we had to quit allowing registrations from Proton addresses. I believe that was 2019 or early 2020. Proton's anti-abuse team contacted us asking for a list of their emails tied to fraud. I didn't dig into it very far since we blocked it entirely, but a little research at the time gave me the impression that Proton was used for fraud and spam at a much higher than average rate. I wouldn't be surprised at all if good Proton users get flagged as spam because of it. We've also had some issues with mail sent to Proton(confirmed addresses) being returned as undeliverable.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    My university blocks email from ProtonMail entirely.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    My university blocks email from ProtonMail entirely.
    Why do they do that?

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    Why do they do that?
    Because of how frequently it's used for fraud, spam, et cetera, as @scjbash mentioned.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Because of how frequently it's used for fraud, spam, et cetera, as @scjbash mentioned.
    Interesting. But is it?

Site Supporter
    Thanks, Sig_Fiend, that’s interesting stuff.
    If someone got their own domain (as you suggested) and the ProtonMail “Plus plan” would it still be identifiable as coming from ProtonMail? That is, would that be a way around the blocking of emails from ProtonMail as described after your post?
    I’m very attracted to the security and privacy of ProtonMail. But if I were to use it, or something like it, I wouldn’t want to have to deal with the suspicion of fraud/spam whenever I used it with a business or other entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    I have yet to run into that issue.

There are a LOT of other factors in an email that can affect deliverability like that. Stuff like use of certain words or punctuation in certain ways can do it. Same goes for pictures and certain types of links.

One thing worth considering with them is a paid account plus using a custom email domain. Buy a web domain for usually ~$8-20/yr (Namecheap is a good option), and then you can connect it with ProtonMail to create your own branded email. The "Plus" plan is $48/yr, which allows this. Why might you want to do this? Being that it's a separate domain from the standard protonmail.whatever domains, it's a clean slate to send from. Also, for anyone that has even a small business, looks much more professional.

Additionally, on their "Professional" plan ($75/yr), it gives you the capability for a catch-all email. What this enables you to do is effectively create unlimited "fake" emails for various purposes that can have the side benefit of increasing security. For example, creating a separate "fake" email for EVERY single online account you create. These wouldn't be separate emails with inboxes, and would instead reroute to your catch-all account. For example, these would be valid emails:

HTML Code:
    example@mydomain.com
    example+1@mydomain.com
    example+2@mydomain.com
    example+3@mydomain.com
    example+4@mydomain.com
    Imagine the first is your catch-all. Each account you create could have a fake email like the numbered examples (many other valid ways to write those, so doesn't have to be that format). Any email sent to them (like forum notifications, for example) would route to the catch-all account. Now, if anyone tries to hack any of your accounts, if every single one is a different email and password, you have defense in depth.

Just a few random things hopefully people find useful.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 01-08-2022 at 09:58 AM.

I've had a Proton account for years and I think I've used it maybe twice. One of those accounts I keep just in case I decide to use it someday.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List