Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AIWB Belt Tension

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    In fairness, one man's "game changer" may be another man's "fail", but it doesn't make either statement hyperbole, as long as it isn't provided as a "universal" truth. Otherwise, there's not much sense in sharing our experiences and points of view.

I think most of us here realize that each of us has different preferences, comfort zones, physiognomy, and tolerance for the pokes and prods which AIWB incorporates.

What "rolls out on one guy" is "perfect" on another etc etc.

I think we all have boxes of "game changers" tucked away. The needle moves incrementally.
    Your points are well taken. I have edited my post to soften my points a bit.

I found that I do not need to cinch my belt as tight with AIWB as I did with IWB @ 3 o’clock.

I also used a foam yoga block to make a ‘cup’ for the holster. In addition to functioning like a wedge to pull the grip in and muzzle away from my body it softens up the hard points on the holster that tends to dig in when seated.

Yoga blocks are kinda handy for DIY projects. Easy to cut with a pocket knife, you can sand them smooth, and cheap. I’ve used it for a couple holsters as well as a cheek rest for a .22 rifle.

There's a bunch of good advice in this thread. It may be helpful to think about the physics of AIWB. It starts with a fairly simple statics problem: The holstered gun is a lever, balanced by forces on either side of a fulcrum (the belt). The ideal solution is to have the grip close to your body with minimal forces pressing against you.

Because of gravity and 'girth' pulling and pushing the top of the gun, you need pressure at your groin area to push the muzzle end away. Here are some tips:

• Holster too high or too short: top of the gun will tip out. A short lever arm requires more force. Try a longer holster or add a MasterMind pillow that sticks out below the holster.
    • Too little 'wedge': top of the gun will tip out.
    • Belt is too tight: will defeat the wedge effect &/or make the pressure above and below the belt unnecessarily great.
    • Pants are too tight (especially in the groin): will defeat the wedge. This is typically a female problem
    • Pants are too loose: the only pressure you have to stabilize the gun is your belt, and the top and bottom of the gun/holster. That's typically uncomfortable.
    • Belt too stiff: the lever system you set up while standing can't adjust to your body's movement.
    • Belt too floppy: belt must be kept too tight
    • Wedge too stiff: digs into groin. Try a MasterMind pillow.

In general, 1/4" of belt tightness can make a big difference, so continuously adjustable belts are a must.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

If you're on FaceBook, I'd suggest that you join the PHLster Concealment Workshop group and ask questions there too. They're doing really good work getting people tuned up on comfortable concealment.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by ECK View Post
    I also used a foam yoga block to make a ‘cup’ for the holster. In addition to functioning like a wedge to pull the grip in and muzzle away from my body it softens up the hard points on the holster that tends to dig in when seated.
    Very creative idea but I can’t visualize this. Can you share a pic?

User Tag List