Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Suitcases

Tumi.

Have used them for years.

For traveling a few times a year, I'd just keep replacing the cheapos. I'd be far less pissed when the rampers or carrousel damages the my $40 bag vs. $400 bag.

If you have a Costco membership, you might check out the warranty policy on their luggage.

I had the luggage works the Suvorov mentioned for several years. They're heavy and repairs are expensive, IME. They're durable tho.
    David S.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    If you have a Costco membership, you might check out the warranty policy on their luggage.

I had the luggage works the Suvorov mentioned for several years. They're heavy and repairs are expensive, IME. They're durable tho.
    I did the Costco bag thing for my first few years at the airlines. Went through two different generations of them and countless bags. At first I thought I was so smart because I could get me a new bag whenever the old bag started to fail and man did I go though bags. With the near transcon commute and the 20+ lbs of charts I had to carry, I was burning through wheel bearings like crazy. Then all of a sudden there was a period where Costco stopped selling their bags and all I got was a refund and no bag. I decided to go cheep and buy a “Crew Bag” and that lasted about a year before it failed. I finally gave in and bought my LW bag in like 2009. I’ve had to replace the wheel bearings a couple times and the rampers bent my handle, the side pockets have failed and there are a few screws missing but it continues to soldier on.

The metal frame ones are heavy, but I’ve found the plastic frame one to be of acceptable weight and durability.

I've been superbly happy with the Samsonite Winfield line over the last 5 years. Lightweight and durable; hardshell design is very space efficient and allows me to pack more per suitcase than my colleagues. A trip that will usually take two large suitcases and a carry-on for my colleagues can easily be done with a medium checked bag and carry on, both from the Samsonite Winfield line. Note that this means I've also been carrying more weight per suitcase compared to the average suitcase which has less internal volume, and they've held up great. They also fit exceptionally well in the frunk and trunk of my Porsche Cayman.

Over the last 4 years, I spent more nights travelling each year than spent at home, if that gives you an idea for my travel pace. Not as much travel as a professional pilot, but if they had a durability problem for the average low-volume traveler then I definitely would have seen it, and they would have failed in the first year for me. 2022 is the first year since I got these suitcases that I am expected to sleep at my home for more than 3 or 4 months (cumulative) out of the year.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Have you looked into Tuffpak?

https://nalpak.com/tuffpak?mode=1

They’re popular with guys who make a habit of going to Africa. A friend bought one and it’s remarkably strong for its weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    Have you looked into Tuffpak?

https://nalpak.com/tuffpak?mode=1

They’re popular with guys who make a habit of going to Africa. A friend bought one and it’s remarkably strong for its weight.
    They look oddly shaped and more geared for specialty items..?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    They look oddly shaped and more geared for specialty items..?
    Well the guys going to Africa are usually taking a safari rifle along with clothes, boots, cameras and whatever. Apparently the Stuff Sack helps with packing and I believe the wheels are replaceable.

It’s probably not what you were thinking but I just offered it as a suggestion.
    And It wouldn’t be hard to figure out which bag was yours at luggage pickup.

Site Supporter
    A colored strap or handle wrap or similar is a pretty simple, and inexpensive, solution to the what luggage is mine problem. Take it from someone who finally figured out why people put those silly things on when he bought a plain black suitcase...

Site Supporter
    I've been very happy with Away. Pretty inexpensive and they are well designed, have good wheels and handles, and have a great warranty. Had an airline put a massive dent in the corner of one last year. Took it to the Away store and walked out 2 minutes later with a new replacement for free.

I worked at a luggage store several years ago that carried all of the medium and high end bags. Came to have a strong preference for certain high end luggage after seeing them all up close and seeing all the warranty work that came in. I don't think you can go wrong with Tumi (still where I go for briefcase needs), Briggs and Riley, or Rimowa, but these days I have a hard time paying the premium over what you can get from Away.

Another satisfied Briggs & Riley customer. I've gotten really good at living out of a carry-on. I like that the wheels are NOT omni-directional since it keeps my bag from rolling down a hill when I'm not hanging on to it.

Mine has a teal blue wrap on the handle, which is a cheap, easy way to improve visibility.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List