Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Suitcases

RFI: Suitcases

Looking for a very rugged, well thought out (but simple) suitcase. Anyone have one they’d give a strong recommend?

TIA.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Pelican Air 1615

https://www.amazon.com/Pelican-1615-.../dp/B08C9VYQLH

Maximum checkable size. Pelican lifetime warranty. Lighter construction than standard Pelicans.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Looking for a very rugged, well thought out (but simple) suitcase. Anyone have one they’d give a strong recommend?

TIA.
    Do you fly a lot where you have to be concerned with the 50 lb. limit?
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    After a fair amount of research and posting a similar question somewhere (I forget where at this point - it may have been TPI), I ended up going with Briggs & Riley for a few different pieces and I think it's great. It's expensive but worth it, in my experience. https://www.briggs-riley.com/

We’ve been pretty happy with our Travelpro’s. We caught a sale at Macy’s and picked up 3 pieces, including a couple rollaboards.

Tier 1, Briggs & Riley or Rimowa. Be prepared to shell out 600+ at least.

For something cheaper, consider TravelPro and Away brand. I see a ton of Away at the airport. Lots of color options and is pretty good quality. TravelPro makes professional line that they only sell to actual flight crew, but I believe their premium line is very similar in quality and available for retail sale.

I personally use a TravelPro 21" spinner. Small enough to fit in the overhead compartment of even regional jets. I only ever carry on, never check luggage. But I'm not a consultant or flight crew, so I'm not flying constantly.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    As someone who has lived out of their suitcase the past 20 years and has tried many different brands I would urge you to check out the bags by Luggage Works. https://luggageworks.com/default/

Well over 90% of the guys I work with (including myself) use them. I’ve had my current bag (the executive) for over 10 years. It is due to be replaced due to the fabric being worn out but the frame is still in decent shape. Given the hard life I’ve put it through (on the road 3-4 days a week) I can’t complain.

It is true that travel pro makes quite a few crew bags. This is mostly due to deals they have with airlines that provide their cabin (and for some foreign airlines cockpit) crews their bags. Think about the best form of advertising a luggage company can get? About the only thing I can say good about the Travel Pro’s that they are lighter than LW and ore stylish. That may appeal to certain types of crew, but they have nowhere near the durability. If you are getting your bags for free then go with TravelPro but the vast majority of flight crew who have to shell out their hard earned money for their own kit buy LW.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 01-17-2022 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Lessen perceived snark.

Thanks for all the replies thus far. We only travel twice per year, but everything we have only lasts 3 to 4 years, and it’s not like we’re buying $50 suitcases. I had a $100 bag break after 4 trips, which prompted me to ask my favorite expert panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Do you fly a lot where you have to be concerned with the 50 lb. limit?
    Yes. Until the plague subsides ( which may be/ feels like never), I’m selling organs and flying first class. That said, +50 is extra, but two bags are include, so I may go two quality medium bags.

Quote Originally Posted by shootist26 View Post
    Tier 1, Briggs & Riley or Rimowa. Be prepared to shell out 600+ at least.

For something cheaper, consider TravelPro and Away brand. I see a ton of Away at the airport. Lots of color options and is pretty good quality. TravelPro makes professional line that they only sell to actual flight crew, but I believe their premium line is very similar in quality and available for retail sale.

I personally use a TravelPro 21" spinner. Small enough to fit in the overhead compartment of even regional jets. I only ever carry on, never check luggage. But I'm not a consultant or flight crew, so I'm not flying constantly.
    I really like the thought of something custom, which jumps out at you at the baggage claim.

Another thing, I’ll go $500 to $1000 IF the juice is worth the squeeze per say.

User Tag List