Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: FN re-enters the P-35 game

At first I was kinda excited about the new FN, but the more I find out... not so much.

The Hi Power was the OG Glock 19. Small enough to carry, big enough to shoot. If I'm going to pack a service pistol sized gun, there are other ones I would pick.

If SA gets their act together, I'll likely own a SA35. Right now they are going for stupid money, but after the market stabilizes, the MSRP really isn't that bad.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    As much as I love the OG-HP, I like that this thing is a new pistol and not really based on the P35. There's been so little innovation for new types of metal guns in the past few years... so, in that respect I think it's cool they basically built a brand new metal service pistol. I don't love that it's bigger... but maybe that just leaves more room for a compact variant.

I think one mistake was maybe naming it/branding it "High Power"--which communicates that it's something it really isn't. And of course invites direct comparisons to the original. I would have given it a name that's suggestive of the lineage, but different enough to set it apart... like the P36. Or HP21.

Oddly enough, all the new stuff has convinced me that what I really really need to do is just get a damn Glock 19, and stick to that.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Oddly enough, all the new stuff has convinced me that what I really really need to do is just get a damn Glock 19, and stick to that.
    Since the advent of the pointed stick, the G19 is the best all-around personal weapon ever designed.

I think the $1200+ msrp is going to help
    SA with the SA-35 assuming the kinks get ironed out. They are a halfway point between the Girsan guns and the FN re-boots. I agree with the comments thus far … the dimensions and stats are a bit of a head scratcher (longer grip, heavy weight).

I am still hopeful for the SA-35 - at $1k or less I might try the FN … but not at the current prices. Back on the hunt for the SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    I think the $1200+ msrp is going to help
    SA with the SA-35 assuming the kinks get ironed out. They are a halfway point between the Girsan guns and the FN re-boots. I agree with the comments thus far … the dimensions and stats are a bit of a head scratcher (longer grip, heavy weight).

I am still hopeful for the SA-35 - at $1k or less I might try the FN … but not at the current prices. Back on the hunt for the SA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its the perfect duty gun to compete with the S&W 3rd gens for agency adoption....30 years ago.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Its the perfect duty gun to compete with the S&W 3rd gens for agency adoption....30 years ago.
    With the widespread acceptance of striker fired guns with short light trigger pulls, maybe a single action trigger with a usable form a safety is not the disadvantage it was 30 years ago. SIG has found a market for SAO versions of their legacy guns as well as a metal framed version of their striker fired gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I had this epiphany as I was splitting kindling earlier, and figure out how/when to budget for an SA35.

I have a theory that anytime you adopt a handgun that you intend to put to serious use, the price of entry always ends up about $2000 by the time you buy the gun, holsters, magazines, sights to suit your eyes, vetting ammo, and carry ammo. The cost can go up or down slightly, typically up, especially if you are adapting a new caliber.

Since the P35 is the OG Glock 19, and I already have some Glock 19s, well...

Never mind. I'll just stick with the Glock 19.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I had this epiphany as I was splitting kindling earlier, and figure out how/when to budget for an SA35.

I have a theory that anytime you adopt a handgun that you intend to put to serious use, the price of entry always ends up about $2000 by the time you buy the gun, holsters, magazines, sights to suit your eyes, vetting ammo, and carry ammo. The cost can go up or down slightly, typically up, especially if you are adapting a new caliber.

Since the P35 is the OG Glock 19, and I already have some Glock 19s, well...

Never mind. I'll just stick with the Glock 19.
    I thought you wanted to be a Walt Longmire in a World of Tactical Timmies
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

As interesting as I think this gun is I do kind of scratch my head about it.

I guess what I'm wondering is why would FN go through the hassle and expense of creating a niche pistol with a high price when they could have just re-launched the legacy HP? Obviously the legacy guns weren't selling in the modern market in numbers that justified keeping them around. So how is this gun any different? It has some ambi features and holds a couple more rounds but are these changes enough to reinvigorate?

The obvious answer would seem to have been bring back the old BHP in MKIII+ format. Put some Novak sights and an extended frame tang on it and dehorn the rear edges of the ambi thumb safeties. Make it similar in features to the current stuff we see from every 1911 maker. Would such a gun sell with an MSRP of $1250? Probably initially. This whole thing seems like a big gamble on FN's part. More so than just bringing back some version of the legacy pistol.

The idea upthread that the new HP was developed for something like the Canadian pistol trials seems logical. This design could be something that FN developed fifteen or twenty years ago when the BHP was still a thing but got mothballed for some reason. And now with a bit of a retro trend in the firearms industry they figured it was time to push it out into the market.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

User Tag List