Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: FN re-enters the P-35 game

Site Supporter
    It looks like there might be grips that allow the back strap to be enlarged. Hopefully optics ready models are in the works too. If it had a light rail it would be a nice non vapor-ware alternative to the DWX.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A new HP that won’t take HP magazines? Hard pass. I’ll keep on with my Mk.III (sorta wish I’d bought two) and wait to see if Springer gets the bugs out of their clone.
    Other than their being available in reasonable quantities at semi-reasonable prices, I've actually never been really all that impressed with any of the High Power's magazines. The baseplates are relatively thin, with sharp corners, and susceptible to being bent. The followers on the after-market MecGars (as opposed to the ones that MecGar produced as the OEM followers for FN/Browning) have been a bit questionable and unstable to a degree.

The NP3 (or similar) finished ones with the mousetrap springs were probably the best of the batch of the OEMs, but the new ones on this FN offering seem to have superior basepads. Capacity is a far, far lower concern or criteria for me, so as long as they're at least 10 round or higher. Parochially, from a IDPA competition standpoint, I'd like them to be at least 11 rounds; the 17 round capacity of the new ones is great-so as long as they hold up to hard use, continious unloadings and loadings, and being dropped on various surfaces. That applies to the basic gun as well. Ease of field stripping (at least) and re-assembly, and required levels of basic field/operator maintenance is key. As are quality of components; intrinsically and in actual use.

From a practical standpoint, it's of very little concern to me as to whether the New High Power's magazines are interchangable with my classic High Power, as I have a basic magazine issue for each individual gun that I own.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Grip "looks" a little longer but that might be kind of an illusion with the undercut trigger guard and magazine base pad.

I doubt this pistol will fit in too many old HP holsters with the ambi slide release lever.

So who's the target audience? Lack of a rail or red dot is not likely to be a turn off for old guys who love HPs. But will the old curmudgeon crowd embrace any changes? Will the younger crowd who wants something non-Glock embrace this gun without a rail?

And then what about the Canadians? I haven't kept up on their pistol quest. Did they not spec a rail on the military handgun? It would be extremely cool to see Canada adopt this gun if for no other reason than simply it is not a Glock or SIG.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I believe Canadians ended up going with Glocks but I don't really care what the Canadian military decided to use. I don't mean that in a snarky way, just not something I pay attention to or have interest in.

I'm pretty sure the none Glock younger crowd doesn't really care about rails? How many of them do you actually see in use? Maybe.... maybe, someones nightstand gun. Ill bet you anything the vast majority of younger gun owners (and gun owners in general) who carry do so without lights and optics.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post

Apparently some focus group included a USPSA Production shooter with his three pound CZ and concluded that the market wanted heavier guns.
    The Sig p320X carry Legion is 40oz. And that's a polymer lower and advertised as "carry"

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    40 ounce weight. Was the original hi power that heavy?

Site Supporter
    A 15 sec search of Google yielded the following response re weight of previous Hi-Powers

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...-mark-iii.html
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Beretta M9 is 41 ounces. So maybe new High Power already has an aluminum frame.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    40 ounce weight. Was the original hi power that heavy?
    31 ounces for the original.

Site Supporter
    So is there any USPSA/IDPA division where one can use a SA 9mm double stack pistol?
    I'm thinking open but don't if it fits into others.

Site Supporter
    I feel like I read it was steel on their little product sheet thingy...

I wonder if it's of the "MKIII cast" pedigree or some new kinda forging.

User Tag List