Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: FN re-enters the P-35 game

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Forgotten Weapons weighs in.
    Does this mean the new High Power is already forgotten?
    Ian answers this question in his second video, which you linked later. He says that FN created a gun that is useless for either duty or competition, and is only useful for plinking. Which, he emphatically proclaims, is a completely valid reason to make a gun.

It's basically the American SIG P210 from FN.

Until the FW videos, I didn't realize that the "new" FN HiPower was significantly larger than the original, especially in thickness. I suppose it cannot compete with SIG P365XL anyway, so might as well dollop some fat in the name of comfort and magazine capacity.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    Ian answers this question in his second video, which you linked later. He says that FN created a gun that is useless for either duty or competition, and is only useful for plinking. Which, he emphatically proclaims, is a completely valid reason to make a gun.
    Going by MSRP, they're $560 more expensive than a SA-35, which at least is pretty much a clone of a P35. $560 buys a holster and a bunch of extra magazines, since the P35 Mecgar mags fit.

Crimus, if you're going to buy one for plinking, then get a Girsan (MSRP $563), which leaves you money for a holster, magazines and a thousand or more rounds of 9mm ball.

But if money's not much of an problem.....
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Going by MSRP, they're $560 more expensive than a SA-35, which at least is pretty much a clone of a P35. $560 buys a holster and a bunch of extra magazines, since the P35 Mecgar mags fit.

Crimus, if you're going to buy one for plinking, then get a Girsan (MSRP $563), which leaves you money for a holster, magazines and a thousand or more rounds of 9mm ball.

But if money's not much of an problem.....
    $434 would also get the BHP SS Reliability package with new barrel (if needed).
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I saw one of these at Cabela's over the weekend. They actually had two of them in the display case.

Really not as big and bulky and blocky as it appears in pictures. Without being able to compare a new and old side-by-side I'd guess they are actually pretty close in size. Of course Cabela's had a trigger lock on the gun so there was no real way to get a solid overall feel for it. I wouldn't dry fire a new gun but it would have been nice to be able to pinch and hold the hammer to get a general idea of the trigger.

Anyway, I could see myself buying one of these at some point just to mess with. Still holding out some hope that FN will produce an aluminum frame version and / or one that's optic and light compatible.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Vending Machine Operator
    I think the new FN "Sorta-Powers" look amazing and the changes make sense.

I have one minor problem with them, one major problem.

The minor problem is that what is the dang point of buying a gun based on an old, legendary operating system (like the 1911) if it's almost entirely incompatible with parts that fit that style of gun? This is a minor problem because it mostly impacts cost and tinkering, not actual usability of the gun as long as FN supports the gun and parts and maintenance are available. Which brings us to the major problem.

The major problem is that modern FN has yet to prove they support a handgun ecosystem reliably. They churn out and drop models on a Taurus-level speed curve. I thought they were solving that issue with the 509, which by all reports seems to be a solid-enough service nine, then they went ahead and announced a newer, better service nine. The cringetastic HiPer. When I saw that announcement all I could think about the poor 509 was that scene from The Green Mile. Dead man walkin'!

I'd have to choose the Springfield option, almost certainly. Standard Hi-Power size and frame, quality seems nice, much cheaper, and Springfield might not always be Tier-1 elite tacticool operator status but a lot of their guns are solid and they do seem to back their stuff up for quite a while.

All FN has to do for a steadily improving reputation is keep the product line consistent and supported without constantly reinventing the wheel. Maybe in a few years if the 509 is still around I'd have faith to try their new Hi Power-ish.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post

It's basically the American SIG P210 from FN.

Until the FW videos, I didn't realize that the "new" FN HiPower was significantly larger than the original, especially in thickness. I suppose it cannot compete with SIG P365XL anyway, so might as well dollop some fat in the name of comfort and magazine capacity.
    I don't see what makes it useless for duty? I'd carry it on duty if I was an officer.

FWIW, @Tamara says she intends to keep the FDE one she took in for a print review and 2000 round test.
    I consider that a pretty good benchmark, as I wouldn't trust a real Mk I, Mk II, or maybe even a Mk III to go that far without choking or breaking something, and she's forgotten more than I know about these things.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I don't see what makes it useless for duty? I'd carry it on duty if I was an officer.
    1. No light rail
    2. Not optic ready

It’s 2023, not 1993. There’s really no excuse for manufacturers to ignore those two things.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    1. No light rail
    2. Not optic ready

It’s 2023, not 1993. There’s really no excuse for manufacturers to ignore those two things.
    Pretty much sums up my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List