Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: FN re-enters the P-35 game

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    This dude’s rant on the new FN “Hipower” is epic:
    This is brilliant.

But this new gun isn't an FN DAC (which is the compact variant of the HP-DA) or the HP-DA (which he probably meant, when he said DAC). Those guns are more true Hi Powers than this new thing is--just with DA-SA lockwork and different mags. Honestly, an HP-DA is a gun I would have loved to see being made again:

To my 1990s-aesthetic-tuned eyes... it's the best looking of all Hi Powers. And it's DA/SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I've read some of the Longmire books and have enjoyed them for the most part. And while I don't recall any specific instances off the top of my head I'm fairly sure there have been cases where Walt "pulls back the receiver to charge the first bullet from the clip." Or words to that effect that are supposed to create a dynamic moment but also serve to show the author's lack of firearms knowledge.

Not unique to Longmire in any way and I'm not reading the books for firearms knowledge. But still, more correct info/terminology is out there with minimal amounts of research.

With all that said, Mr. Johnson may have a good grasp and is writing that way with the understanding that many readers would be completely confused by magazines, cartridges and terms like Condition One.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I've bought every Longmire novel, so far, and I really love Johnson's characters and the settings, many of which are local to me.

However, when it comes to guns and action stuff in his novels, I get the feeling he's writing for an audience of little old ladies and wine-and-cheese art fanciers.

Back to the OT: This thing from FN...ugh. It smells of desperation and of "Where did we put the TDP and drawings for the Hi-Power? Mon dieu! we lost them. Put lipstick on one of our current pigs and send it out!"

I was excited about this until I saw the price.

Is it just me or does FN continually seem vastly out of touch with the civilian market? Everything they come out with seems either kind of cool and overpriced or "meh."

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I think people are looking at this wrong.

Everybody's mad because it isn't the original, but the original had tons of issues which is why nobody bought them in the first place. They are beautiful guns and if you have a really talented smith work one over and build up a beavertail you can even shoot it without bleeding! (Not sarcasm in my case)

What this looks like to me is a (potentially) reliable double-stack single action 9mm pistol. If it actually runs, it will do what the Staccato tries to do, but at less than 1/2 the price and with magazines that are a hell of a lot cheaper. I mean, this right here isn't a 1911:

...but it has the stuff people actually want from 1911's on it without giving up bullets in the magazine. It does the essential 1911 things, but more. And it's also stupidly expensive...not that it stops me from wanting to give one a go.

Everything runs in cycles, and we're at the beginning of a cycle where people figure out the virtues of Browning's hammer-fired, single action trigger with an ergonomic safety thing again now that the planet is awash in striker-fired plastic. There's a lot of room on the top of this gun for an optic...and it's likely FN will borrow some knowledge about optic mounting from their other endeavors to apply here.

I know people are making noise about a rail and if they make a duty style version I'm sure it will have one. WML's on concealed carry handguns aren't completely useless but they're pretty damn close in that context. I bet you they can even make a more compact version with a couple fewer rounds in the magazine and a shorter barrel, but with the same trigger arrangement.

The Walther PP and PPK are guns with absolutely beautiful lines...but they're fucking terrible to actually shoot. Le Grande Puissance is like an Italian supermodel. Absolutely gorgeous to look at in a magazine, but expensive and bitchy to live with. This has the potential to be more the girl who might never grace the cover of Vogue, but she still looks great in a slinky black dress at a cocktail party and she'll do That Thing You Like without complaining afterwards.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 01-20-2022 at 03:06 PM.
    3/15/2016

Yeager gives his take:

The gun doesn't look maybe quite as bulky here. Maybe Government Model-ish in size.

Sure would like to see a side-by-side with the old vs new but that's not likely something we'll get during SHOT.

Last edited by Tokarev; 01-20-2022 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    That’s good outline for a character. But it’s out of character for Walt Longmire. Too many changes too soon.
    The guy I was drinking with thought it was a good idea, but it's too late to go change A Cold Dish now.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    This is brilliant.

But this new gun isn't an FN DAC (which is the compact variant of the HP-DA) or the HP-DA (which he probably meant, when he said DAC). Those guns are more true Hi Powers than this new thing is--just with DA-SA lockwork and different mags. Honestly, an HP-DA is a gun I would have loved to see being made again:

To my 1990s-aesthetic-tuned eyes... it's the best looking of all Hi Powers. And it's DA/SA.
    It has the FN SFS action.

Best, Jon

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Yeager gives his take:

The gun doesn't look maybe quite as bulky here. Maybe Government Model-ish in size.

Sure would like to see a side-by-side with the old vs new but that's not likely something we'll get during SHOT.

"Internet RSO"???
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    I've bought every Longmire novel, so far, and I really love Johnson's characters and the settings, many of which are local to me.

However, when it comes to guns and action stuff in his novels, I get the feeling he's writing for an audience of little old ladies and wine-and-cheese art fanciers.

Back to the OT: This thing from FN...ugh. It smells of desperation and of "Where did we put the TDP and drawings for the Hi-Power? Mon dieu! we lost them. Put lipstick on one of our current pigs and send it out!"
    I enjoy some of the settings as well having attended Sheridan College back in the day. Same reason I like some of the CJ Box stuff.

So to get us back on topic; tell your drinking buddy that Vic needs to ditch her Glock and start packing an HP. Or have the department look at buying a standard handgun and have it mentioned that the HP is being considered.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post

<y gag reflex kicked in every time I read "large-frame Colt" in his last book.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List