Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Mountain Gun S&W should have built

There were multiple reports of cracked forcing cones with factory and Skeeter loads on one of the Ruger forums and the single action forum not long after the 5” .44 Special GPs started hitting the streets. I wonder if they ever sorted that out?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Lost River:

That's a nice revolver. I have never been a fan of the 41 Magnum, but folks who have them, generally tend to be big fans of the cartridge. I always figured I could load my 44 Magnums up or down as the case warranted and hence, I never saw the need for the 41. That said the few times I have shot 41 Magnums, they generally seemed to have a less violent recoil than the 44 Magnum with equivalent loads.

In designing the revolver in question, the owner specified an impressive set of characteristics. I suspect it is a nice shooting and very practical wheelgun that will spend a significant amount of time in a Sparks holster. Hopefully it will end up looking like Malamute's Model 29.

If you get a chance to shoot it at long range, let us know what you think of the lightweight 5 inch barrel.

Great post. Thanks!

Bruce
    Bruce Cartwright
    Owner & chief instructor-SAC Tactical
    E-mail: "info@saconsco.com"

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    ...I have never been a fan of the 41 Magnum, but folks who have them, generally tend to be big fans of the cartridge...
    That's an understatement. My model 57 might be going on the funeral pyre that I may, in fact, take it with me:

Name:  20210911_094149.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  84.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Thanks.
    When ever I load up the whole deal I find myself smiling like a kid stealing warm cookies.

Looking forward to your load development, especially the .41 Special side.
    I could send you some of my brass as I don't reload. All once fired.
    I might take you up on that in the future, but am good at the moment, as I have some shipping in. But thank you, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cartwright View Post
    Lost River:

That's a nice revolver. I have never been a fan of the 41 Magnum, but folks who have them, generally tend to be big fans of the cartridge. I always figured I could load my 44 Magnums up or down as the case warranted and hence, I never saw the need for the 41. That said the few times I have shot 41 Magnums, they generally seemed to have a less violent recoil than the 44 Magnum with equivalent loads.

In designing the revolver in question, the owner specified an impressive set of characteristics. I suspect it is a nice shooting and very practical wheelgun that will spend a significant amount of time in a Sparks holster. Hopefully it will end up looking like Malamute's Model 29.

If you get a chance to shoot it at long range, let us know what you think of the lightweight 5 inch barrel.

Great post. Thanks!

Bruce
    I will definitely get a chance to shoot it, as it is the test gun for .41 Mag and special ammo that I will be producing. I have had requests, so I needed a gun, and Bob shipped one right to my door! Same with .38 Super. He sent a dandy of a steel framed Colt Combat Commander. He knows I am a .44 Mag guy and I think he is trying to plant a seed with this .41. I will admit it is darn nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    That is a neat revolver, right in the Goldilocks zone for barrel length.

There is a pinned thread on the .41 Mag & Spl over on the Castboolits forum. I’ve banned myself from reading it because I don’t need another caliber to load.
    I don’t need another caliber.
    I don’t need…
    That pinned thread on the CB forum was started by the owner of this fine 5" 41.

He is who I consider an SME on the subject of .41s and .38 Supers.

Thanks.
    When ever I load up the whole deal I find myself smiling like a kid stealing warm cookies.

Looking forward to your load development, especially the .41 Special side.
    I could send you some of my brass as I don't reload. All once fired.
    I appreciate that.hip the 41 Mag though

Now all I need is spare time! lol

I had 41 Special brass on order for over a year with Starline. I have various things on order with them and one day a few months back I realized that they simply cancelled my 41 Special. They did ship my 41 mag though.

I just moved and am still unpacking. Found the mag brass (again).

The mountain gun they should have made was a 1/2 lug, taper-barreled 586 in .41 Special.

And a JRC IWB for when I need to be really presentable.
    Attachment 82989
    Unfortunately, Jim is no longer taking orders.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!

User Tag List