Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Mountain Gun S&W should have built

Excuse the ignorance of a flat lander. I assume a mountain gun is a handgun in a caliber large enough to shoot something that may be trying to eat you yet is small enough to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Excuse the ignorance of a flat lander. I assume a mountain gun is a handgun in a caliber large enough to shoot something that may be trying to eat you yet is small enough to carry.
    More like light enough to carry; more likely than not the Mountain Guns I've seen are generally 4" lightened/thin barrel guns.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    Man, you guys are really steering me on a dangerous course....

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1768.html

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1770.html

Best, Jon
    One Ohio gun shop had a 5” GP100 in 10mm last year. I’m now wishing I had explored importing it to WV.

About the same time that S&W made the 38 Super 686 they also made a 6 shot L Frame in 40 S&W. They didn't make a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    More like light enough to carry; more likely than not the Mountain Guns I've seen are generally 4" lightened/thin barrel guns.

Best, Jon
    Also, I believe the following to be more or less true of the Mountain Guns:
    Black powder bevel on leading edge of cylinder
    Smooth, non-serrated trigger
    Combat style hammer
    Sights is where it tends to run off the rails, I have seen them with black front and rear, black rear with red ramp, and white outline rear with red ramp front.
    Always a round butt.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    WVincent,

That is a superb setup, levergun an all. Hard not to smile when you look at all of that!
    Thanks.
    When ever I load up the whole deal I find myself smiling like a kid stealing warm cookies.

Looking forward to your load development, especially the .41 Special side.
    I could send you some of my brass as I don't reload. All once fired.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    That Lipseys GP100 5" 5 shot .44 special is really something pretty cool.

I had noticed them before but did not really read the specs. I just did and realized that the .44 Special, being a larger bore, weighs less than the .357. Lipseys GP. It also weighs less than the 5" 41 Mag "Mountain gun I am playing with! That would make for a dang cool trail gun.
    I had a Lipsey's .357 that sat around waiting to get slicked up for several years. Finally took it out of the safe and handled it along with my GP MC. Realized that it would never be the gun I wanted it to be without a refinish to touch up all the rough edges that would have to be smoothed. And the front sight was floating high enough over the barrel that I'd never be happy with it. Would take either a custom sight with a custom dovetail or a new barrel to fix that. All in, it would have cost enough in custom work to get to the point of being the gun I'd imagined it being that I would have been better off just getting an MR73. It was a good time to sell the Ruger, it turned out. Still not sure what to do about an MR73, given Caleb's experience with his. Just getting by with a really nice MC for now.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    ...S&W...also made a 6 shot L Frame in 40 S&W...
    I still think one of those would be pretty fun to play with. See how it would group 155 grain SWC over Trailboss for fun and chicken coop vermin, a 200 grain flat point over something more substantial just because, and cook up a standard velocity 180 grain LFN or even SWC load with a wide meplat and soft alloy for general use.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    This is another thread destined for greatness....lol

Heading north for the first time since November next week. You’ve all enthused me to the point of putting the M28 on the list of things to bring. It’s not a big bore, but the Porcupine Mountains aren’t really mountains either, the bears are sleeping, and .357 should be adequate. 😁

I still kick myself in the @$$ for not picking up one of the 5” full lug .44spl GPs when Lipsey’s had them. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. I like the GP sized frame better than the N, and for the critters I may run across locally, 5 shots are plenty.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    S&W made several runs of “Mountain Gun” revolvers, back in the day. Actually, the first run was the Mountain Revolver, built on the Model 629. To keep that a collectible run, S&W named the subsequent runs Mountain Guns. Some common features were tapered barrels, the the leading edge of the cylinder being beveled. So, these were lighter in weight, and easier/smoother to re-holster, than the standard models.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List