Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Mountain Gun S&W should have built

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am getting to the point where I do not want to be in possession of perfect things
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I consider them "story marks".
    The only professionally customized gun I have is a SP101 that went to Gemini. I think in my subconscious mind I have not taken very good care of it because I want to diminish the resale value enough that I will never be tempted to sell it.

Name:  MMc SP101.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  75.9 KB

Well this thread has ripped the skin off a previously healed wound. Use to have a blued Model 57 in 41 magnum. Six inch barrel and looked exactly like the model 29 44 magnum. I liked the idea of a bit more metal in the cylinder/barrel area due to its caliber.

I had a model 27, nickel, 8 3/8" barrel. Target hammer/trigger. Presentation case. It was the bomb.

Well let me go to the corner of a dark room and bounce my head off the wall for letting these two get away.

On May 24 1977 Bob graduated the police academy in Dallas Texas. That evening there was a graduation function, but there was also a function that Elmer Keith was going to be attending, and Bob was a big fan, so he skipped out on the police academy's evening festivities to attend the other event.

Most do not know it, but before Elmer Keith wrote "Hell, I was There", he wrote a separate autobiography entitled "Keith, an Autobiography". Bob purchased a copy and that evening in May of 1977 Elmer Keith signed the book for Bob:

Bob has come out to visit me (he lives on the east coast) a couple times, and I have taken him around Elmer's territory, including Horse Heaven Pass on the Pahsimeroi (Keith has written of the area), where we did some long-range lobbing of lead with .41s and .44s.

Plus shooting on a dry reservoir bed out to 500 yards:

A few years back, Bob ended up sending the Keith autobiography out to me as a gift, stating that it seemed appropriate that it should end up in the country where it started.

Needless to say, it is one of my most personally valued books.

I hung out with Bob and his crew a bit at the NTI one year. 38 Super devotee.

This thread is awesome. We went from the technical advantages of a 5" to Uncle Lost River story time, which is always great.
    I'm lucky enough (in my opinion) to own a 57-5 Mountain Gun. I've often wondered how it would be with a 5" tube on it.

It's actually one of the most versatile guns I own. I usually keep it loaded with .41 Special that I sourced from Reed's, and a reload of .41 Mag. I have a field holster, and a nice about town holster that conceal very well under a winter coat.
    Name:  IMG_1555.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  40.7 KB

And a JRC IWB for when I need to be really presentable.
    Name:  IMG_1556.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  38.0 KB

And when I'm going to be really, really rural, like two hours from anything on a rough two-track, or a couple of hours deep into the Black Hills of South Dakota, I usually grab it's "companion piece", my 1895 Winchester in 30-40.
    Name:  IMG_1557.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  35.0 KB

If I'm carrying a pack, or fishing a stream, I have a "tanker style" Simply Rugged chest holster that was so kindly gifted to me by our very own @flyrodr.
    Name:  IMG_1558.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  39.0 KB

So, one revolver, 4 holsters, and I can pretty much go anywhere, do anything, except maybe a nude beach.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Man, you guys are really steering me on a dangerous course....

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1768.html

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1770.html

Best, Jon

WVincent,

That is a superb setup, levergun an all. Hard not to smile when you look at all of that!

Those are definitely 2 guns to ride the river with

That Lipseys GP100 5" 5 shot .44 special is really something pretty cool.

I had noticed them before but did not really read the specs. I just did and realized that the .44 Special, being a larger bore, weighs less than the .357. Lipseys GP. It also weighs less than the 5" 41 Mag "Mountain gun I am playing with! That would make for a dang cool trail gun.

S&W really should give the Mountain Gun concept another try.

As far as what they should have done, I would have liked to have seen the following.

627 (Could also be called a 628) Mountain Gun
    -Brushed Finish
    -8 Round Cylinder
    -Obvious Tapered Barrel
    -3.5" and 5" Barrel Lengths

Three inch, and Five or Six inch, 686 Mountain Guns

Also, instead of going the .41 Special route, it would make more far more sense to finally give the .401 PowerMag a chance. A six shot .401 L frame would be an incredibly size efficient offering. It would offer more power than a .41 Special, and would have slightly more meat between the chambers. Lighter defensive loads could be offered that would cover anything a .41 Special could do. Something like this is really what the gun writers of the 50s were looking for, and it would still be great today.

https://www.gunblast.com/Fryxell_Herters401.htm

User Tag List