Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mountain Gun S&W should have built

I need a .45 mountain gun

Couldn't agree more about the 5" N frame being ideal. I was a Skeeter Skelton fan in my youth and he favored that barrel.

I like my factory 5" 27-2 OK. It just doesnt do much for me as I prefer the K-frame.

That said, I do agree, a 5" .41mag would be really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    I personally love guns like this. A bit of rust on it, some scuffs here and there. All of which will clean up. It is not a collector's gun, and you won't mind carrying it hunting, camping, fishing, etc.
    I am getting to the point where I do not want to be in possession of perfect things, I do not want to be the custodian of it when it gets a flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Funny you mention .41 Special.

I have 2K pieces of Special brass coming and will be doing up some loads for that in the near future.

I plan on running a 215 SWC for the Special and a (when I can get the Mag brass) 240 Keith SWC for the Mag.

My friend has been loading .41 Mag for decades and I consider him an SME on all things related to loading .41s and .38 Super. I actually call him "Mr. 38 Super". So I will use some of his data to start with.

The other gun he sent out is an old Colt Combat Commander .38 Super that was his carry gun for years. 1950s era as I recall. Nice old piece. He really wants me to load both .41 and .38 S for commercial sales and I told him (and others) that I can't/won't load something that I have not thoroughly vetted, so I have to have guns chambered for those cartridges. That is how I ended up being sent the toys.

Another gent that has picked up a good bit of ammo, after doing so offered to send me one of his .41s if I would load for it, and others have asked as well, so I figured I had better start doing so. "If you build it, they will come!"

Those old Camo Pachs feel great, and I like the look for an 80s era gun.
    Very interested in .38 Super info! I'm working with that caliber now.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I need a .45 mountain gun
    You and a lot of other people. Prices are just stupid on the auction sites.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I have two, 27-2 5", one for me and one for my son. We were just shooting it today along with my 624. I really do love the 5" barrel and agree it hits the sweet spot for me. While the N frame is large for a .357 they shoot so sweet I will gladly workout a bit more to compensate for the weight. Here is a pic from today. We were shooting the heavy weights today, .357, .44 Spl, .45 ACP and our G3 rifle. I would love for Smith to take your suggestion and bring back some classic looking 5" guns. I could definitely use a 5" .45 Colt.

Name:  IMG_1252.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  56.0 KB

The .41 Special could be built on the L-frame, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I am getting to the point where I do not want to be in possession of perfect things, I do not want to be the custodian of it when it gets a flaw.
    I built what I considered a perfect Model 29. A 5" -2 that was and is awesome. I promptly started carrying it in the field and knocked enough of the new and shiny off of it that I would not feel bad if it received a few battle scars during hunting/camping/hiking trips.

I consider them "story marks".

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I got rid of my N frames, but I have an old black Pachy grip sitting around just in case. I dig the Harlequin look, too.

Kinda wish Hogue would do some no-finger-groove GP stocks in their Ghillie Green. That stuff looks really nice against stainless.
    I actually stole the Pachmayer grips that are shown on it off of my 4" 629:

The grips that came on the 5" .41 Mag were a truly gorgeous set of wooden ones that according to Bob were built by a member from the S&W forum (I don't know the name). In discussion with him he stated however that they did not fit his hand due to being slightly too large. They did fit my hand quite nicely, so I put them on my old 4" 29-2 that has worn a pair of fancy Herrret's Ropers for many years.

These are the grips that I took off Bob's .41 and put on my 4" 29:

Bob has always admired the fancy Ropers, so they are going to be shipped to him. Here they are on the 4" gun on top of a true GEM of a gift from Bob. More on that in a bit.

User Tag List