Thread: Thank you to all at PF!

Thank you to all at PF!

I want to thank everyone here for their knowledge and experience and willingness to share it politely and professionally.

The topic of gun safety in regard to ADs/NDs/UDs and gun design came up.

The conversation turned to how in our lifetime cops went from DA to DAO revolvers, to TDA to DAO to SFA autos, and why. How the "safety" of them compared. How the amount and type of training has changed over the years. Why guns are the way they are, and some prefer one type to another. Why the Feds don't want a manual safety and the military did. How the FBI hated then loved Glocks. Why the Feds have light Glocks and NYPD heavy Glocks, and why NYPD wants to change. How "triggerless" take down is an issue for some and not others. Why there were AS and QA Walthers for example.

As usual, there was a wealth of good information with references from good people here I could remember. Made me look good.

Discussing how making guns easier to shoot when you want to, and harder to shoot when you don't have been tackled by the industry and agencies was interesting.

I suspect a some of that is part of why the SW EZ guns are the way they are. I do like them.

I thought it was ironic that after all these years, a safe, easy to shoot gun aimed at beginners is a SAO hammer fired auto with a short/light trigger with thumb (optional) and grip safety (not optional).

While this forum can make me crazy at times, I _DO_ appreciate everything you all bring to the table and the way you serve it.

Thanks again.

There's a historical perspective here you don't find anywhere else. It comes from people who lived through the actual changes and who were paying attention.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

That discussion brough this to mind:

Light Triggers, Hefty Profits

https://www.motherjones.com/politics...ernal%20safety.

And this:

Review of Shooting Incidents in the Department of Justice
    E & I Report I-2004-010
    September 2004

https://oig.justice.gov/reports/plus/e0410/intro.htm

Here we are, 18 years later. Does anyone know how the DOJ's UD rate looked before this period? Since? Now? Any other agencies?

SFA pistols w short/light triggers and no safety seem to be what most of the market wants most of the time. The verdict seems to be they are safe enough if you are and have not made things worse as far as gun safety. Handgun accidents have not increased as their share of the market has. I think the gun accident stats support that, but I'm not sure.

User Tag List