Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tier 1 kitchen mixer?

I have the Kitchenaid Pro, and leave it on the kitchen counter. It has been definitely worth the investment. It's a buy once cry once sort of investment.

My son is an executive chef, and has the same model in his house.

Wife has had a KitchenAid mixer since the late 90's it is heavy, the weight helps when mixing dough. The noise it makes is consistent with the operation it performs in comparison the handheld beater used for mashing taters is loader at high speed. She considers this a necessary piece of kitchen equipment for baking.

My girlfriend loves her Kitchenaid. She uses it all the time for baking.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I need to add that my wife is tiny and hates heavy appliances.
    Maybe a kitchen aid for heavy duty and a separate handheld for everything else? The kitchen aid isn’t light.

Site Supporter
    We've had a KitchenAid mixer (standard model from back when they only had 2) for 21 years (wedding present). Same one, just keeps going and going...

It's heavy, but because we use it a lot, it lives on our counter, one of the few appliances to earn that honor. If it ever dies, I'll go out and buy another without hesitation.

We have a number of attachments for the PTO, but mainly use it as a mixer.

Chris

We've got a Kitchen Aid that was bought in the 2003-04 time frame that's still going strong. It generally doesn't see a lot of use until the holidays and then it earns it's keep during that ~6 week stretch. It's not a lightweight but that shouldn't be a big deal if it's staying on a counter.

A coworker is a kitchen appliance snob and she went with a Kitchen Aid stand mixer 5-6 years ago when her husband redid her kitchen.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I’m sensing a theme here….

My wife bought me a Kitchen Aid 15+ years ago. Out of the box it developed a timing issue, hitting the side of the bowl. 15 minutes on the phone with a nice woman running through adjusting procedures confirmed it was out of spec. Had a new one and a return label a few days later. New one has been flawless ever since.

It is heavy, but a comforting steel 1911 kind of heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Maybe a kitchen aid for heavy duty and a separate handheld for everything else? The kitchen aid isn’t light.
    This is Ms. Okie's setup. The KA Classic lives on the counter. My only issue with it is some of the attachments that go into the PTO thing on the front aren't very well made. I'd get one of the larger models if I had to replace it, but short of a house fire I don't see that in the cards.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I’d say they’re probably the best ones out there, quite adaptable with all the attachments.
    KitchenAid is like the Glock of mixers. There are all kinds of accessories for them. I'm sure the other brands are good, but to me, there would need to be some specific reason to buy something other than a KitchenAid.

My only decision was deciding between the "bowl-lift" mixer https://www.kitchenaid.com/counterto...e&plpView=list

or the tilt head mixer https://www.kitchenaid.com/counterto...e&plpView=list

My original concern during the decision making process was the possibility of the tilt head mixer bowl coming undone from its' twist in lock position while mixing. I rolled the dice with the tilt head, since it was less expensive, and I'm not that big of a user. I have had the bowl come loose during a mixing session, only once, but it's something that needs some attention. I also have a slight concern of snapping the handle off while tightening the mixing bowl down. So far so good.

These wouldn't be concerns with the bowl lift models.
    Last edited by JTQ; 01-17-2022 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I need to add that my wife is tiny and hates heavy appliances.
    A few years ago my mom gave her Hobart away because she couldn't move it anymore. But she is tiny and was about 80yo then (not doing much baking anymore anyway).

User Tag List