Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tier 1 kitchen mixer?

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    I grew up in and around a commercial kitchen so my first answer is of course…HOBART!
    My wife and daughter both have KitchenAids. They have Glock like customer and aftermarket support. They are real heavy so If you don’t have the counter space to keep it be prepared to get it out and put it away for her. My wife’s is kept on the top of the refrigerator as cabinet space is at the same premium as counter top at our home, its a bummer but its worth the hassle to hear her say how much she loves it.

Stay Safe

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I need to add that my wife is tiny and hates heavy appliances.
    There’s a reduced size version. That’s what we got, mostly due to wife’s hatred of “clutter”.

There’s also retractable mixer shelf hardware, which I’d love to have just ‘cause it’s neat.
    https://www.rockler.com/rev-a-shelf-...uty-mixer-lift
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Having replaced the seals in two kitchenaids, I'd give the bosch a shot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    There’s a reduced size version. That’s what we got, mostly due to wife’s hatred of “clutter”.

There’s also retractable mixer shelf hardware, which I’d love to have just ‘cause it’s neat.
    My grandparents had one of those. I always thought it was so neat. Also, when that mixer came out, it meant we were having mashed potatoes for dinner.

Chris

We had 2 Kitchenaids that were supposed to be the heavy duty models. After the 2nd one broke the second time, the repair guy said that with the plastic gears they are not what they used to be.
    We bought a Hobart which would pay for several kitchenaids but seems more solid. So far so good.
    Wife bakes, cooks makes candy and deserts.

I would prefer the Hobart to the Kitchenaid if grinding meat. (but we do that commercially, on an 80q Hobart)
    The issue with Hobart, is their 5q and (don't remember if it is 12 or 17q) tend to be more expensive, and less often seen used, then their 20 quart (think the size of a kegerator).
    The Kitchenaids have always served my family well at homes. That said, this thread made me look on Craigslist, where I found an older one, that I believe is from the metal gear time frame, for a good price (don't forget used/estate).

A vote for KitchenAid here. Good support and parts availabilty for them. The plastic gear issue is real, but replacement metal gearing is available and resolves that weak point. There are refurbished older ones with the mrtal gearing for sale.

We have my grandma's standard ca. 1970 (in harvest gold!) that now needs the selector switch rebuilt but runs like a top otherwise, and a 4 year old lifting bowl model.
    They see weekly use.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    I have also replaced kitchenaid gears in the past. Almost cheaper to replace the mixer altogether.

Hobart is what I have seen the most of in Pro kitchens. Restaurant supply stores, going out of business sales, and craig's list should be your friends. You will pay for the quality you get...in money and the size of the beast you get. Storage may be an issue.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 01-18-2022 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

That. Is. Awesome.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I have also replaced kitchenaid gears in the past. Almost cheaper to replace the mixer altogether.

Hobart is what I have seen the most of in Pro kitchens. Restaurant supply stores, going out of business sales, and craig's list should be your friends. You will pay for the quality you get...in money and the size of the beast you get. Storage may be an issue.

pat
    Hm. I would be interested in hearing about your experiences with the Kitchen Aid gear replacement.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List