Thread: Single-Side Slide Release for Gen 5 Glocks

Single-Side Slide Release for Gen 5 Glocks

Has anyone run across a good single-side slide release for the Gen 5 Glocks? I would like to do away with the ambi release.

Thanks.

- R.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Has anyone run across a good single-side slide release for the Gen 5 Glocks? I would like to do away with the ambi release.

Thanks.

- R.
    I had a problem with the Medium backstrap and the left side slide release; my hand would constantly bump the slide release and lock the slide open mid-mag. I wound up buying a 2nd slide release and dremeling off the left side tab (leaving enough for the slide to catch but removing the part that my hand would interact with under recoil). You should be able to just dremel off the right hand side so it's just not there since IIRC it doesn't have any load bearing parts on it as far as catching the slide goes.

FWIW, switching to the large backstrap pretty much fixed the issue for me on the G19 I have; I put the original unaltered one back in and it's been fine ever since that change.

Site Supporter
    Dremel, or I've even seen people use a Gen 4 release.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Dremel, or I've even seen people use a Gen 4 release.
    My take on the issue. Cut off ONLY the pad portion of the release, leaving the flat portion to engage the slide on that side. Smooth the cut and touch it up with a Sharpie or paint pen.

I have not yet noticed any aftermarket slide stops, specifically intended to replace Gen5 slide stops. I may well try a Gen4 part. I am a lefty, at least in the auto-pistol context, who instantly abhorred the “ambidextrous” slide stop, as it interfered with using my right hand as an effective support hand. I reckon that Gaston Glock is unaware of the support hand concept.

Of course, it is cheaper to simply cut/grind/sand the existing part. When I did the homework on this, the best practice seemed to be to remove ONLY the pad portion, in order to maintain proper support/stability for the part. Most of my Glocks are Gen4, so it has not yet been necessary for me to modify anything. I discontinued vetting my Gen5 pistols, when the panic-demic made it seem wiser to conserve our 9mm ammo. (Plus, I did not want to bring COVID home to my wife, who has significant risk factors, so, we have generally avoided shooting ranges.)
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I had thought about using a Gen 4 release, but they are thinner. I assumed there was a reason they are using thicker steel on the Gen 5 release.

Unless, Glock went to a thicker steel on later versions of the Gen 4 release?

Thanks for the comments.

I have a gen 5 19 and I cut the right side off just above the trigger pin. I rounded it off and smoothed the cut with a dremel. Works fine and I haven’t noticed any issues. I’m a lefty and I too hate the ambi slide release, I don’t know how right handed people deal with their support hand potentially hitting it all the time.

I wouldn’t recommend using a gen 4 slide release because the gen 5 supports both sides of the trigger shoe and I wouldn’t want to give that up. I don’t know if this would make a difference or not though in practice.

User Tag List