Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Preventing Car Theft

Old fashioned steering wheel/break pedal lock. Are they even around anymore?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Do you see people carving through cat converter shields or are they reasonably effective?
    The only place I know that tried them in number was a fleet of straight trucks and box trucks. They did not deter the thefts. The issue there was a dark secluded area where the thieves felt no time pressure, and it was an organized ring with multiple people hitting the lot at once. Compare to addicts in ones and twos with a cut off tool running around a neighborhood and it's a different league, so to speak, and harder to deter. I think in more favorably circumstances that put time pressure on the thief it may be more effective. That's guess work on my part, though, I don't have any hard numbers to back it up.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You know how to take all the fun out of life.
    I'm like a vulture, except for fun instead of corpses.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

My yard man's catalytic converter was stolen off the 1991 truck I sold him cheap. He said there was at least one other gone from the same parking lot.

What does a thief do with catalytic converters?
    OK, I looked it up.
    Google says some are sold as replacements for burned out (or stolen) units. That cost my guy $150.
    Some are mined for a stated 6 grams of precious metals each. That can be hundreds of bucks worth of platinum, palladium, and rhodium.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    Do you see people carving through cat converter shields or are they reasonably effective?
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The only place I know that tried them in number was a fleet of straight trucks and box trucks. They did not deter the thefts. The issue there was a dark secluded area where the thieves felt no time pressure, and it was an organized ring with multiple people hitting the lot at once. Compare to addicts in ones and twos with a cut off tool running around a neighborhood and it's a different league, so to speak, and harder to deter. I think in more favorably circumstances that put time pressure on the thief it may be more effective. That's guess work on my part, though, I don't have any hard numbers to back it up.
    A Cat Clamp is on my list of things to add to Mrs. CF's 2006 GX 470. Oregon is having a huge problem with cat cutters--mostly homeless guys. A new law went into effect requiring paperwork for purchase of used converters. Not sure it will help...
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

And sometimes they are willing to go get keys from the house. Years ago my grandparents had their car stolen from the garage while they were in the backyard hosting a party. This was in Florida, and the car was eventually recovered, presumably after a drug run.

And the other way around, I do not leave a garage door opener in the truck that has to sit in the driveway. And I try and lock the cars while they are in the garage, I do not want somebody to come and get one of the openers (but my wife is not very diligent on this).

I have a set of keys for everything (cars, truck, shed, ATV) I grab when doing yard work and will need to move vehicles and get into the shed. When we leave for a few days I try and remember to drop these in the gun safe. The alarm allows a full minute before it even goes off, then you got the response time, Gone In Sixty Seconds is probably way generous when you have the car keys.

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Old fashioned steering wheel/break pedal lock. Are they even around anymore?
    I was astonished a few years back when I had to cut one off of a steering wheel of one of our fleet vehicles because the lock broke. A Sawzall with a course carbide blade cut through that puppy like buttah.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm like a vulture, except for fun instead of corpses.
    Carrion, my wayward son.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I was astonished a few years back when I had to cut one off of a steering wheel of one of our fleet vehicles because the lock broke. A Sawzall with a course carbide blade cut through that puppy like buttah.
    Sawzalls are impressive. Combined with angle grinders and small cutoffs not much is out of reach for the folks who want to get into things.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_L View Post
    Sawzalls are impressive. Combined with angle grinders and small cutoffs not much is out of reach for the folks who want to get into things.
    Indeed. Someone once sent a 20' container, locked it with a rather impressive & expensive theft proof padlock... and didn't send the keys.
    A cordless angle grinder did a fine job of removing that in about a minute.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List