Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Preventing Car Theft

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I wonder what the % is in thefts by opportunist looking for stuff stupidly left available vs thefts by well equipped professionals.
    In my area, I would say over 95% are opportunists. Keep in mind that crime trends are regional and YMMV.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Have you seen how easily a thief can reach in over your garage door with a wire and pull the emergency release on your garage door opener?
    I think I am going to at least cut the handle off, could still grab (but not hook) the rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I wonder what the % is in thefts by opportunist looking for stuff stupidly left available vs thefts by well equipped professionals.
    Before I put a good lock on the shed (used one of the puck locks like you see on the doors of commercial vans) it was broken into. I live at the end of a dead end street, typically pretty secure with enough eyeballs on strange vehicles going down the street. Out of all the stuff that was in the shed, the only thing stolen was my chainsaw. Detective told me that there was a junkie that was traveling around the area on a bicycle, looking for single things he could carry away on his bicycle and could sell for enough to score. So somebody that was equipped, and had a plan, and in a sense was professional, but still opportunistic.

And ohbytheway, this dumbass had already bought the lock and hasp. It was in the shed, didn't get stolen...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Old fashioned steering wheel/break pedal lock. Are they even around anymore?
    Heh. I knew of a woman who pulled up to a high-end restaurant with valet parking. She insisted that the valet install her steering wheel lock.

Her car was a rusting Yugo. The right-seat passenger had to either shimmy across to the left side or climb out the window because the door didn't work.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    When I lived in a crappy apartment in a crappy part of town the fuse box on my truck was by my left knee when seated as driver. I pulled out the fuel injector fuse in sketchy areas.

I am looking for a new vehicle for the first time since 2010. I am doing some homework, and am researching this. it is basically a key and an electric cutoff setup. Local auto theft guys are optomistic. Even a cloned key or fob won't do it without the plug.

A guy I knew wired an electral cutoff into his cigarette lighter in his late 90s truck, and used a tubular key to actuate it.

Like so many other things, auto theft prevention is much less "can't get this", and much more "this is too much work. Let's go over there and check out that one"

Not being able to steal the car does not keep them from destroying it, either before or after they figure out they can't steal it.

pat

What happens if you loose your keys with the plug?
    Or the plug in connection gets worn over time, falling out or loosing continuity at the worst possible time.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    When I lived in a crappy apartment in a crappy part of town the fuse box on my truck was by my left knee when seated as driver. I pulled out the fuel injector fuse in sketchy areas.

I am looking for a new vehicle for the first time since 2010. I am doing some homework, and am researching this. it is basically a key and an electric cutoff setup. Local auto theft guys are optomistic. Even a cloned key or fob won't do it without the plug.

A guy I knew wired an electral cutoff into his cigarette lighter in his late 90s truck, and used a tubular key to actuate it.

Like so many other things, auto theft prevention is much less "can't get this", and much more "this is too much work. Let's go over there and check out that one"

Not being able to steal the car does not keep them from destroying it, either before or after they figure out they can't steal it.

pat
    Last edited by UNK; 01-19-2022 at 09:41 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I just got this $20 pedal lock for my FJ Cruiser. It's a manual, and the lock attaches solidly to the clutch pedal. This seems like a decent solution when I leave the vehicle at a trailhead or in a sketchy location. I may invest in a wheel boot as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2DPJD7
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    What happens if you loose your keys with the plug?
    Or the plug in connection gets worn over time, falling out or loosing continuity at the worst possible time.
    That is part of what I am researching. I believe extra plugs can be made, with either an original or the documentation provided.. If so, it would be no different than any other key I have. Multiple duplicates stashed in several places.

pat

Site Supporter
    I don't know the specifics, but a local agency lets its deputies leave the car running and remove the keys. Any attempt to put it in gear without replacing the key kills the vehicle. I have it on good authority that there is also a traditional kill switch in the unit that has to be tripped before starting.

I know of two nearby agencies that have had thefts/or attempts on running units at scenes at least 3 times in the last couple of years. With our new multi agency compatable radios the agency can opt in to have the radios GPS'd and or Phase III location enabled. But that costs money, and so does the "officer down" features. For that reason I cannot turn off the car radio in my unit. We don't have the features, but contract we piggybacked off of specified that the user not be able to shut off the radio.

Like I said before. Measure and countermeasure. I have seen lots of dashes and steering columns destroyed when the thief couldn't get the car started, for whatever reason. The car was not drivable, but it was there. The one a few spaces down gets boosted.

@JRB

pat

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I know of two nearby agencies that have had thefts/or attempts on running units at scenes at least 3 times in the last couple of years.
    An example that was local here with two fatalities.

Dickhead stabs his dad, steals a truck, crashes the truck, and steals one of the units investigating the crash.
    And just this week manages to OD while in custody.

User Tag List