Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber K6xs, aluminum 38spl for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    At the moment, I feel like a pair of 856 revolvers is a better bang for the buck over a single K6xs. 🤷🏻*♂️
    I agree. The lack of a rear sight kills the K6XS for me. It doesn't do anything better or different than the 856 UL other than have a concealed hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Anybody know if K6S holsters fit the k6xs?
    Tom is sending me an Apollo. I’ll report back as soon as it lands.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by TeflonDon View Post
    I agree. The lack of a rear sight kills the K6XS for me. It doesn't do anything better or different than the 856 UL other than have a concealed hammer.
    IDK. Look at all the meat in the area of the front and rear sights. Looks like plenty of room for some dovetails to be milled. We could possibly see some nice custom builds based on the K6xs.

For the average person though I do agree a pair of 856’s is damn hard to beat in terms of bang for the buck.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    IDK. Look at all the meat in the area of the front and rear sights. Looks like plenty of room for some dovetails to be milled. We could possibly see some nice custom builds based on the K6xs.

For the average person though I do agree a pair of 856’s is damn hard to beat in terms of bang for the buck.
    Why would anyone buy a $500-$600 lower grade Kimber, and then pay hundreds extra to fix it? Kimber revolvers sell, but aren't hot sellers. I doubt anyone is going to tool up or start offering that as a service if it's even possible.

I don't even know of any revolvers or pistols with aluminum frames that have dovetail sights, and there maybe a reason for that. Then the existing Kimber iron sights that are available for the steel frame K6s maybe a harder steel than the aluminum used on the K6XS frame which would also be an issue.... Just more trouble than it's worth for a low budget Kimber revolver.

Lastly, there's also enough aluminum aka "meat" to dovetail the 856 UL too if it were possible.
    Last edited by TeflonDon; 08-02-2023 at 10:53 AM.

While I don’t own a K6xs, I do own multiple S&W Jframes, a Kimber K6S, a Taurus M85 which is basically a 5 shot 856, and a Taurus 942. They all have very simular designs and use coil main strings. There are inexpensive trigger kits that exist and have existed for years for Taurus revolvers that will improve the trigger pull if that's a necessity someone feels they require. IMHO, the stock 856 and even S&W Jframes trigger are perfectly fine. Lightweight 2" DAO snubbies are long range target pistols. The triggers on all of the above are more than efficient enough for their purpose IMHO.

Speaking objectively it just seems like the only thing you really get with the K6XS is the Kimber name vs Taurus and maybe a nicer looking revolver??? That maybe worth the extra $200-$300 for some I reckon.
    Last edited by TeflonDon; 08-02-2023 at 10:47 AM.

I got to hold a K6xs yesterday at Cabela’s in Columbus. Was not impressed. Very “un K6” like, with its blocky design and cheap looking. One thing that the K6 has is it’s beautiful lines and how it just melts it’s smooth comers. Not so on the XS version.
    Professionally Trained Service Dog. Not dogs with issues! LOL unless you are talking about my mutts.

Quote Originally Posted by PTSDog View Post
    I got to hold a K6xs yesterday at Cabela’s in Columbus. Was not impressed. Very “un K6” like, with its blocky design and cheap looking. One thing that the K6 has is it’s beautiful lines and how it just melts it’s smooth comers. Not so on the XS version.
    That's what I've been hearing. I will probably just buy a S&W 340PD instead.

I was excited about the aluminum version too at first until the details came out. Kimber might have an asterisk by their name for hit or miss 1911s, but their build quality and looks were always top notch. I'm not seeing that with XS version. No hate towards Kimber as I own a 3" K6S DASA, so I would have loved to have a lightweight mini-me. I would have rathered they kept the same price range as the K6S, but added more bells, whistles, and build quality. They should have tried to complete with the S&W model 340 PD instead of the Taurus 856 IMHO. People who buy Kimbers do mind spending extra if they're getting something for their money.

An .357. 11-12oz K6S with a fixed pinned front and rear sights and scandium alloy frame would have stole my money. Would have taken sales away from the 5 shot S&W 340 PD too. That's what they should have made in black and in stainless/grey.
    Last edited by TeflonDon; 08-02-2023 at 08:18 PM.

People who buy Kimbers do NOT* mind spending extra if they're getting something for their money.

I've got (only) four J-frames (642, 640Pro, 60, 637), but now that the Kimber K6 series has now been out for awhile now, I just may go into a LGS and touch & hold one.
    I haven't heard of any of these K6 models breaking down, unless someone here has more info on its reliability.

I did notice since the first K6 models came out, some of these models are already gone/discontinued.
    I don't know if these discontinued models is an indication the entire product line is likely to disappear or not.

Anyway, no decisions for now. As I said, I haven't even touched one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I've got (only) four J-frames (642, 640Pro, 60, 637), but now that the Kimber K6 series has now been out for awhile now, I just may go into a LGS and touch & hold one.
    I haven't heard of any of these K6 models breaking down, unless someone here has more info on its reliability.

I did notice since the first K6 models came out, some of these models are already gone/discontinued.
    I don't know if these discontinued models is an indication the entire product line is likely to disappear or not.

Anyway, no decisions for now. As I said, I haven't even touched one yet.
    They may hay discontinued some finishes, but that's about it. I own a S&W 640 Pro and 3" 60. The K6S'es are really nice. They're like prelock Smith in that they do not have ANY MIM parts. Every last thing is machine from bar stock. 0f course, there's no Hillary whole either. That said, I personally like the M640 Pro better.

This is the only pic I have of my K6S DASA next to my Colt King Cobra.
    Last edited by TeflonDon; 08-02-2023 at 10:52 PM.

User Tag List