Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Kimber K6xs, aluminum 38spl for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by PTSDog View Post
    I got to hold a K6xs yesterday at Cabela’s in Columbus. Was not impressed. Very “un K6” like, with its blocky design and cheap looking. One thing that the K6 has is it’s beautiful lines and how it just melts it’s smooth comers. Not so on the XS version.
    This confuses me. They share the same lines. The fixed sights of the XS follow the profile of the adjustable on the S. The cylinder is fluted and has the ejector rod cutout to get below that magical 16oz mark. Cylinder flutes are pretty standard and many of the fancy models from S&W have the little window cutout for the ejector rod to look cooler. They take the same grips from what I’m told and have seen so far. I will confirm they fit the same holsters once usps graces me with my package from Tom. The build quality looks good on the couple samples I’ve seen. Truthfully the only part of the gun that looks cheap is the shitty paint in the front sight.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    This confuses me. They share the same lines. The fixed sights of the XS follow the profile of the adjustable on the S. The cylinder is fluted and has the ejector rod cutout to get below that magical 16oz mark. Cylinder flutes are pretty standard and many of the fancy models from S&W have the little window cutout for the ejector rod to look cooler. They take the same grips from what I’m told and have seen so far. I will confirm they fit the same holsters once usps graces me with my package from Tom. The build quality looks good on the couple samples I’ve seen. Truthfully the only part of the gun that looks cheap is the shitty paint in the front sight.
    Sorry, should have state those are my thoughts about he XS version. I had problems telling it from the 856UL that was right next to it in the case. And to me, the XS doesn’t seem to have the quality the S has.
    Professionally Trained Service Dog. Not dogs with issues! LOL unless you are talking about my mutts.

Here's a link so I/we don't have to keep searching for it in this thread:
    https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/revolver

Site Supporter

Update

I haven't gotten a chance to fire it yet, but my proceed finally came back this last Sunday (or at least that was when the gun store called me to pick it up). I have done a bit of dry firing and the trigger has already smoothed out quite a bit. I did notice the gun was fairly dirty so guessing there was very little wipe down after the factory put some rounds through it. It weighs in a 15.8 ounces with the hogue grip it comes with and the trigger pull averaged about 10.7 pounds on my digital trigger gauge. I also noticed they have a free speed strip included with the gun. One thing that was missing is the tool used to remove the grip, so when buying one, you might want to check to box to insure its included if you wish to swap out the grip at some point. I will post again after shooting. I have some high desert cartridge ammo I received from the owner this last week at the Pressburg class to try out along with some remington 130 grain and some 148 grain plated wadcutters. With it being a bit heavier than my 442 and this grip being a bit longer I imagine it will be a bit easier to shoot.

Site Supporter

Shooting update

Today was the day. I finally got this gun to the range. I was somewhat impressed, but also disappointed. I fired about 150 rounds. Some 125 grain TMJ, some 132 grain remington, 148 grain coated wad cutters and 12 rounds of 135 grain gold dot short barrel.

Lets start with the good. The trigger has gotten way better with the small amount of dry fire I have been doing. It made being accurate with the trigger easier. There is no longer a hitch when pulling the trigger. The grips tamed the recoil very well. There was no stinging of the hand when shooting any of the ammo. I was able to hit a steel popper at around 55 yards with 2 to 3 rounds out of each round cylinder.

The bad... I have no clue what ammo the sights on this thing is set for. While the gun grouped well, at 10 yards it was about 4 inches high. It did not matter what ammo I fired. At 25 yards, it was about an inch to 2 inches high. As mentioned above it almost seemed like the sights are regulated for 50 yards as I was basically holding directly on and hitting the popper.

So its a pretty decent gun, but I have no idea how to fix the sight issue other than to just hold low. With how shootable it is, I would almost say the gun is worth the price, but at the same time I would expect the sights to shoot point of aim with at least one type of common ammo. The weight is great and it rides well in an ankle holster. At 5 yards the off set of the sights was not as noticeable, so it is still a good belly gun. What is disappointing is with how shootable the gun is that the sights are not on at any kind of distance.

Next trip I will try a few more kinds of hollow points and see if any of them are better regulated. I might also try some 158 grain .38 special ball.

All in all, for the price I am not quite sure the gun is that much better than anything else on the market, but I am not disappointed I bought the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Today was the day. I finally got this gun to the range. I was somewhat impressed, but also disappointed. I fired about 150 rounds. Some 125 grain TMJ, some 132 grain remington, 148 grain coated wad cutters and 12 rounds of 135 grain gold dot short barrel.

Lets start with the good. The trigger has gotten way better with the small amount of dry fire I have been doing. It made being accurate with the trigger easier. There is no longer a hitch when pulling the trigger. The grips tamed the recoil very well. There was no stinging of the hand when shooting any of the ammo. I was able to hit a steel popper at around 55 yards with 2 to 3 rounds out of each round cylinder.

The bad... I have no clue what ammo the sights on this thing is set for. While the gun grouped well, at 10 yards it was about 4 inches high. It did not matter what ammo I fired. At 25 yards, it was about an inch to 2 inches high. As mentioned above it almost seemed like the sights are regulated for 50 yards as I was basically holding directly on and hitting the popper.

So its a pretty decent gun, but I have no idea how to fix the sight issue other than to just hold low. With how shootable it is, I would almost say the gun is worth the price, but at the same time I would expect the sights to shoot point of aim with at least one type of common ammo. The weight is great and it rides well in an ankle holster. At 5 yards the off set of the sights was not as noticeable, so it is still a good belly gun. What is disappointing is with how shootable the gun is that the sights are not on at any kind of distance.

Next trip I will try a few more kinds of hollow points and see if any of them are better regulated. I might also try some 158 grain .38 special ball.

All in all, for the price I am not quite sure the gun is that much better than anything else on the market, but I am not disappointed I bought the gun.
    If it's hitting high, i believe it is because of slower ammo, so maybe it's regulated for faster .357?
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter
    Well that would be pretty magical if you could fit a .357 in it since its a .38.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    If it's hitting high, i believe it is because of slower ammo, so maybe it's regulated for faster .357?

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Well that would be pretty magical if you could fit a .357 in it since its a .38.
    Fair enough, i hadn't kept up with them enough to realize they were not .357 guns like the k6s.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Just change out the front sight with a new...

Oh damn. NVM. Kimber cheaped out on this one.

Try a different grip, I have the K6s 2" and the K6xs and my K6s works best POA/POI with Altamonts. K6xs shoots about 3" high at 10 yds but dead on in azimuth. That works for me, I just train with the sight picture that matches POA/POI. Learned that with an old Colt OP fifty years ago. One load, one sight picture, one gun---bullet goes to one place.

I like my K6xs light with a great action, 6 shots, and easy to shoot well. Not a lot of Kentucky windage as I have with a J frame. Carrying the Federal 120 Punch 38+P.

User Tag List