Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NH Shooter style Rifle?

NH Shooter style Rifle?

I greatly admire NH Shooter's style or approach for his 11-87 and his double 12 gauge, think it ties in well with things DB has mentioned on podcasts and here about low profile and realistic mission requirements.

Would be interested in his thoughts for similar approach to his 11-87 Premier but done for a rifle.

I was thinking probably a levergun, though thought that might match up more for the role that he uses his double barreled 12 gauge namely really restrictive places like NY.

But was curious if he might pick something like M1 Carbine, Remington Model 8/81. or ??? for a built similar to his 11-87 role.

Before I ever saw any of his posts about those guns I had been looking for a Remington model 14/141 for similar project, though I also have thought about Remington Model 8/81, I have seen some pictures of 14/141 with really nice wood furniture.

Winchester 1907?

Five, 10, 15, 20 round detachable box mags were made. It's a blowback gun with a recoil spring under the barrel. So you can chop the barrel back to 16". You'd have to reload for it, chambered in .351 Winchester Self-Loading.

That said, the practical solution is to build yourself some kind if AR-based bit of kit and fit it out with wood furniture...https://www.blackwoodusa.com/blogs/build-gallery

Site Supporter
    Do you really want to use a self defense rifle that has been out of production for 50 years with no factory parts support $100+ magazines and impossible to find factory ammo?

The m1 carbine is the most supported out of that list, but you may find it more difficult to get as reliable as a modern rifle.

When the bad guys are running AR rifles/pistols on the regular and ‘xtendo magazines in all their pistols building an obsolete rifle doesn’t make sense to me. A gun that’s easy to mount a dot and flashlight on with affordable magazines and commonly available ammunition is not mission creep if it’s legal in your area.

Here’s a recent home attempted invasion from TX, note the BG’s guns.

Site Supporter
    If you can find one in stock a lower from fightlite migh be worth looking at.

https://fightlite.com/lowers

And since I forgot to add it to the last post, while Pat Rogers used to say the mission drives the gear train, having “low profile guns” has little to do with mindset and decision making abilities. One of the most heinous poor decision incidents we’ve seen lately was perpetrated by idiot rednecks armed with a wood stocked 28” 12 gauge shotgun and a .357 revolver (the Ahmaud Arbery case).

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    I greatly admire NH Shooter's style or approach for his 11-87 and his double 12 gauge, think it ties in well with things DB has mentioned on podcasts and here about low profile and realistic mission requirements.

Would be interested in his thoughts for similar approach to his 11-87 Premier but done for a rifle.

I was thinking probably a levergun, though thought that might match up more for the role that he uses his double barreled 12 gauge namely really restrictive places like NY.

But was curious if he might pick something like M1 Carbine, Remington Model 8/81. or ??? for a built similar to his 11-87 role.

Before I ever saw any of his posts about those guns I had been looking for a Remington model 14/141 for similar project, though I also have thought about Remington Model 8/81, I have seen some pictures of 14/141 with really nice wood furniture.
    Thank-you for the mention!

The transition from my 11-87 (or SxS) to rifle is for the transition from when things go from just-a-bit sporty to full-on chaotic. That's when the pretense of low-profile get's abandoned, and the rifles reflect the reality of such.

If forced to move to a ban state, the go-to rifle would be based on this with a top-tier LPVO - https://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles/ti...tactical-rifle
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 01-17-2022 at 04:45 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post

The 1187 you are referencing is a modern firearm, it happens to have a blue finish and a Woodstock but it’s also got a fiber optic sight and, it I recall correctly, a light mounted to it.

Old rifles are cool but they are old. There’s a reason people don’t use 50 to 100-year-old cars as daily drivers. So why would you pick the firearms equivalent of that as a serious life safety tool?

Sporting guns are also built to a different level of durability and reliability then military/service guns. Just because people made something work in the past because they didn’t have any other options does it mean it’s a good choice in the present.

An optic is a good idea but a light and a sling are pretty much mandatory for any serious used long gun in the 21st-century.

Of the guns you listed the M1 carbine is the only practical choice. A Ruger mini 14 with a wood stock would also be a possibility. If you do go with a mini 14 I would strongly recommend one of the newer 500 series models. They are more accurate, more reliable and of course have current factory parts support. I would also try to stick with Ruger factory magazines.

Even if you go with a lever gun I would want a relatively modern, recently built one that has parts support such as a Henry, a Marlin or a Browning. Personally I would probably choose a small frame bolt gun like the Howa mini action or the recently discontinued CZ 527 over a lever gun. It doesn’t meet your aesthetic requirement but the Ruger American ranch rifles in .223, 300 BO, 7.62x39 or 6.5 G would be a very practical choice as well

A Ruger American Ranch in .300Blackout with something like PA's 2x SLX 'mini-cog' mounted low might be an interesting experiment. Little lighter than an LPVO setup.

Thanks for the responses.

I guess I didn't state it clearly enough in my opening post but I was talking about low profile travel concerns similar to what DB has talked about, think he has mentioned specifically on a P&S podcast though I don't recall which episode, issues and concerns when traveling with guns and liking revolvers and 30-30 levergun. Shotguns also fit that role very well of course, but with my age and health issues pump shotguns even with low recoil loads are no go & for this mission was wanting to stay away from semiautos.

Additionally my significant other doesn't like bolts or pumps, and since I want her to be familiar and comfortable with all the defensive arms looking mainly at leverguns for this role since trying to avoid autos. At home we have his & hers 11-87's plus AR & Marlin 336Y in addition to the CCW's

Reason I looked at the old Remington pump rifle in the past is the takedown feature, which would greatly simplify secure transport in vehicles, and to lesser extent the no detachable magazines for PR perception issues (again this is for low profile traveling).

For takedown rifle/carbine of modern manufacture that I'm aware of there are the takedown versions of 1892's (357 mag) and Browning's BLR takedown which I have also been looking at. Think they would compliment each other well. The BLR is finally available from the factory in 6.5CM

NH Shooter mentions the Tikka Bolt gun and Revolver Rob mentions Ruger's American Ranch rifle, I think those are both excellent choices for people comfortable with bolt guns in this role. I had a Steyr Scout rifle for many years that would be roughly equivalent, though I that Tikka might be lot more durable.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    A Ruger American Ranch in .300Blackout with something like PA's 2x SLX 'mini-cog' mounted low might be an interesting experiment. Little lighter than an LPVO setup.
    Do you have experience with that optic? It's a prism illuminated right? The 1x versions are sort of like Red Dot for astigmatism sufferers? I haven't used Red Dot for while, my Astigmatism might be bad enough to give me problems with them now.

I think a wood-stocked bolt action is going to have the smallest radar signature.

Or maybe something like this - https://www.remarms.com/rifles/pump-...600/model-7600

If a pump floats your boat, you could keep your eyes open for a 760.

User Tag List