Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 21 gen 2

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    One caveat to early model G21s has to do with the breach face, extractor and slide stripper rail: If the G21's serial # is ALD000US or earlier, it'll have a 90 degree breach face with a 90 degree extractor, and a stripper rail without a bevel cut. To get the updated breach face, extractor and stripper rail modifications, coordinate with Glock Customer Service/Tech Support. You also might want to incorporate the later version of the trigger bar, which has a slightly higher vertical extension. As a matter of due diligence, I'd recommend replacing all springs (including magazine springs), the slide stop, spring cups, spring loaded bearing on the extractor/depresser plunger assembly, and the extractor.
    Interesting that you would mention that. The initial run of G21's had issues, and mine was one of the most unreliable pistols I've ever owned. Mine seldom made it through a box of ammo without choking once or twice.

Glock seemed reluctant to admit there were problems with the new gun, but they eventually started requesting that just the slide be returned. When asked, they wouldn't reveal what mods were being done to the slide, so I sold mine and didn't buy another one till all the bugs got worked out.

My second one (bought a year or two later) has been very reliable (it has only malfunctioned once IIRC) but it's not particularly accurate. In an attempt to address this, I purchased a Wilson Combat Match Grade barrel. Not only did that not improve things, but it also proved to be less accurate than the OEM barrel with some factory loads. Anyhow, the gun proved more than accurate enough for me to kill a couple of deer with it, so I haven't lost any sleep over the matter.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

It seems that it was in the Gen 3 G21 production where the G21 really found its footing. There were relatively few running changes to the Gen 3s that I'm aware of, other than the triggerbar mod (which was arguably unnecessary; it primarily came about as an answer to LAPD's habit of injecting lube into the firing pin channel as a maintenance muscle memory derived from their previously issued Beretta 92s), the SF mods, the various ambi/non-ambi magazine release configurations, and the slide finish changes and RTF2 receiver options-and of course the short-lived "fish gill" slide grasping grooves.

Basically, at least im my expereince, a Gen 3 G21 is pretty bulletproof. While Larry Vickers had some issues with his, particularly in his famous (or infamous) "sandbag test," I suspect that his issues had to do with pre-Gen 3 G21s; when he and I spoke, he literally didn't remember the generational details of the one he tested.

Yeah, they're big. And while an SF is a bit smaller girthed, and the Gen4 has some nice features, I have absolutely zero motivation to sell or trade out my venerable Gen 3 G21. Not my easiest Glock to intuitively handle, but exceptionally accurate and reliable.

In my opinion, a upgraded and maintained Gen 2 as we've discussed should also be an excellent G21 choice.

Best, Jon

The Glock 21 is a pretty darn bomb-proof gun. I particularly love the feel of the Gen2 guns. I bought my Gen3 new in August 2006 and had the frame changed to feel similar to the Gen2 (actually maybe even a tad thinner).

Mine has been totally reliable the entire time I've owned it. The one area of note on these guns is that some may experience light strikes with hard primers. This was rectified by changing the trigger bar to the 4256-1 trigger bar (it's marked and easily identifiable) after LAPD bitched. Glock is currently on 4256-3 I believe. It's a two second swap if you know your way around the Glock. I've heard that the 4256-3 doesn't have as nice of a trigger pull as the 4256-1, but I can't verify that. I'm sure you could find a 4256-1 if you looked for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    One caveat to early model G21s has to do with the breach face, extractor and slide stripper rail: If the G21's serial # is ALD000US or earlier, it'll have a 90 degree breach face with a 90 degree extractor, and a stripper rail without a bevel cut. To get the updated breach face, extractor and stripper rail modifications, coordinate with Glock Customer Service/Tech Support. You also might want to incorporate the later version of the trigger bar, which has a slightly higher vertical extension. As a matter of due diligence, I'd recommend replacing all springs (including magazine springs), the slide stop, spring cups, spring loaded bearing on the extractor/depresser plunger assembly, and the extractor.

Glock component for the most part are pretty inexpensive, and are certainly easily accessed and replaced. A good route might be to bite the bullet on shipping costs and send it directly to Glock for examination/repair/component replacement; you might want to take advantages of their in-house prices for sight replacement while it's there, replacing the OEM polymer sights with at least a set of Glock steels or tritiums-they have some good choices.

Best, Jon
    Jon,

I've been in the market for a few 21 parts now for about a year. I have an order placed with Lone Wolf since 1/22/21 that has yet to be filled. Am I missing something here? Have you a source of parts? That would be great.

Ebay is covered with them, but almost all are Chinese knock-offs with the expected level of quality (i.e., none).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Jon,

I've been in the market for a few 21 parts now for about a year. I have an order placed with Lone Wolf since 1/22/21 that has yet to be filled. Am I missing something here? Have you a source of parts? That would be great.

Ebay is covered with them, but almost all are Chinese knock-offs with the expected level of quality (i.e., none).
    Don’t know what specific parts you are looking for, but glockmeister usually has parts: https://www.glockmeister.com/product..._group_id=3713

Thanks. They are a good example. Very few parts out there. But I'll keep trying, for some reason I keep forgetting about them.

User Tag List