Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: RDS on Shotgun - Height (Too High Even WIth Low Mounts?)

  1. #1

    RDS on Shotgun - Height (Too High Even WIth Low Mounts?)

    I saw someone mention here, in another thread I cannot find about most RDS ending up too tall to use well with shotguns on picatinny mounts and such. Has anybody here had this finding personally? I am looking at mounting an Aimpoint Micro or Duty RDS on my Benelli Supernova Tactical using those Mesa Tactical Picatinny Rails w/ Shell Holders on the lowest mount possible. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Has anybody here had this finding personally?
    It was probably me. And yes, I've had that happen personally.

    It's not that you can't use it, it's that the dot sitting high makes it more difficult to get the gun mounted with the sight landing right in the middle of your eye's focus. The key to using the shotgun quickly is a good mount.

    The Magpul stock allows you to put a raised cheek piece on the stock that will help out with a repeatable cheek weld for higher mounts.

    The other downside is that the higher up the optic sits, the more leverage the optic has against the fasteners holding the rail on the gun during recoil. I've watched fasteners tear the threads out of receivers as the rail with attached optic leave the receiver with significant velocity in the middle of a string of fire.

    I am looking at mounting an Aimpoint Micro or Duty RDS on my Benelli Supernova Tactical using those Mesa Tactical Picatinny Rails w/ Shell Holders on the lowest mount possible. Thoughts?
    I'm not a fan of Mesa's side saddles in general. Looking at pictures...which is all I can do as I don't have one in front of me...I don't see any obvious signs that the Mesa rail would sit any lower than one from Benelli.

    If it were me, I'd use a velcro shell card for the side saddle and just put a piece of factory rail up there.
    3/15/2016

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    It was probably me. And yes, I've had that happen personally.

    It's not that you can't use it, it's that the dot sitting high makes it more difficult to get the gun mounted with the sight landing right in the middle of your eye's focus. The key to using the shotgun quickly is a good mount.

    The Magpul stock allows you to put a raised cheek piece on the stock that will help out with a repeatable cheek weld for higher mounts.

    The other downside is that the higher up the optic sits, the more leverage the optic has against the fasteners holding the rail on the gun during recoil. I've watched fasteners tear the threads out of receivers as the rail with attached optic leave the receiver with significant velocity in the middle of a string of fire.



    I'm not a fan of Mesa's side saddles in general. Looking at pictures...which is all I can do as I don't have one in front of me...I don't see any obvious signs that the Mesa rail would sit any lower than one from Benelli.

    If it were me, I'd use a velcro shell card for the side saddle and just put a piece of factory rail up there.
    You know I've since started thinking about sending back the Mesa rail/saddle and just leaving this as factory until I can afford 1301 tactical with the CROM mount. That's what I really wanted but at the time just needed a solid shotgun to get me through. This model has the ghost ring sights which for my uses is probably just as good being a civilian chair sitter most of the time.

    I could also buy an Urbino stock with a riser if it were a problem with the height but by the time I add the rail, picatinny rail up front for a light and an Urbino stock I'd be scratching my head why I didn't just get a 1301 from the start. Which in all fairness is still not right for what I'm after from factory but I could live with that for a while I'd imagine.

    I read in the instructions for the side saddle/rail that it's not meant for longterm storage of shells, which was the main interest I had with it being able to store it in the safe with at least 10 rds on board total ready to go. I suppose it would probably work but it sounds like the retention would be insufficient as the silicone gasket gets flexed for too long it distorts shape.

  4. #4
    Site Supporter Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Im not a fan of the dual rail/shell holders.

    If I were you Id see if this Scalarworks mount works on the Supernova. I think it will since Ive seen other mounts that work for both the SuperNova/M4. https://scalarworks.com/shop/integral-mounts/sync-02/

    Then Id go with a velcro side saddle.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Im not a fan of the dual rail/shell holders.

    If I were you Id see if this Scalarworks mount works on the Supernova. I think it will since Ive seen other mounts that work for both the SuperNova/M4. https://scalarworks.com/shop/integral-mounts/sync-02/

    Then Id go with a velcro side saddle.
    Just checked and the Supernova and M4 use different methods of attachment, bummer because that looks about perfect for what iNeed.

  6. #6
    Site Supporter Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    Just checked and the Supernova and M4 use different methods of attachment, bummer because that looks about perfect for what iNeed.
    This is on GGGs website:

    Name:  E6CCE9A6-199F-4209-A2B7-D881C72BF36B.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  42.8 KB


    May be worth a phone call to verify.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    This is on GGGs website:

    Name:  E6CCE9A6-199F-4209-A2B7-D881C72BF36B.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  42.8 KB


    May be worth a phone call to verify.
    I will check on Monday, I think Mesa Tactical also had just the rail too. Which of these companies has the best track record of producing high quality gear?

  8. #8
    Site Supporter Lon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    I will check on Monday, I think Mesa Tactical also had just the rail too. Which of these companies has the best track record of producing high quality gear?
    If I was picking between the 3, Id go Scalarworks>GGG>Mesa
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    If I was picking between the 3, Id go Scalarworks>GGG>Mesa
    That was my thought also, thank you.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •