Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun Solar powered dot that fits MOS cut out

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    You're describing issues with current products. A manufacturer is claiming that they have engineered a solution to problems you've encountered in real world use and requires less futzing with the optic. That is the definition of innovation.

Whether or not the product lives up to those claims remains to be seen.
    Less futzing due to an unwanted feature. Previous makes and models claim to have an auto brightness feature that's innovative and works as advertised.

I want to be able to seamlessly set the dot illumination. Taking away that ability is less futzing, but also not seamless.

Bottom line- This new Holosun isn't what I'd buy, nor is it innovative. It offers features that aren't that useful in real world usage. It takes away the ability to over ride the auto brightness. It offers less utility, not innovation.

Holosun needs to fix their BS battery tray design.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Let’s say I buy into the so called innovations of this new optic.

When will the solar panel be charging the battery? While in the holster under my shirt? Secured in the safe? On the nightstand while sleeping? I guess I’m gonna have to get a night light for my Glock. Or, I can set the Glock on the windowsill next to the cat to soak up the sun.

The real innovation would be the ability to plug a charging cord into the sight while the handgun sat on the night stand as I sleep, next to the phone and my hands free device.

I don’t want an auto adjust for illumination. I’ve yet to use an auto adjust setting that worked for me. I find that I’m sideways making adjustments to the illumination levels on my phone and computer screen. At least with my Aimpoint, adjusting illumination level is a simple turn of the knob.

I don’t want a side loading battery tray that doesn’t hold the battery securely. I don’t want a sealed emitter optic that fogs internally.

Offering features that don’t work the way I want isn’t innovation, no matter how unique they are. Convenience, ease of use, durability, reliability and seamless integration is. That’s what I get from Aimpoint.
    Very specific requirements will sell very narrow product launches.

I’m sure some people still like and require flip phones and there’s a market for that.

The RMR and RMSc have great auto adjust sensors.
    I don’t think any red dot is going to be perfect and utilization of good BUIS mitigates in wash out conditions.

I think of this like augmented irons.

I’m wondering if this is going to be like my dual illumination Mepro21.

No batteries, just fiber plus tritium. But there’s an aftermarket small light to increase brightness to the fiber in wash out conditions.

I could see something like that. You wouldn’t need much battery at all.

If you need bright, there’s light for the panel.
    If you need it for dark, you only need a little augmentation.

Steve Fisher has had one for a while now. Looking forward to his review.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    Ive been designing & engineering consumer and "prosumer" products for the last 15 years. Some of it made in the US, some in China. Some for small start-ups, and a lot for the big name brands(i.e. the junk you buy in big box stores).

I don't want to buy stuff from China. I don't like supporting Chinese companies. But I also loathe supporting companies that are just phoning it in and refuse to make products that consumers want to buy. Those legacy businesses who refuse to innovate are complicit in the rise of their Chinese competition.

One day I'll have to sit down and write an essay on it, but I've seen too many legacy brands destroy themselves through apathy and arrogance. I can't blindly wave the "buy American!" flag and support businesses that have no interest in serving the needs of the customer.

Sucks that the most innovative brand in this space is a Chinese business, but whose fault is that?
    100% agreed. I understand the urge to avoid buying from china but when American companies refuse to innovate am I supposed to reward them by paying a preimium for a product with lesser features. If the American companies truly wanted my business they'd make products that were undeniably better and I would be proud to buy them. It's like Holosun is making iPhones while Trijicon and Aimpoint are still trying to sell me the Nokia phone from the first Matrix movie.

If the most positive thing I can say about your product is "Well most of it isn't made in China." that's a sad state of affairs.

Granted right now this thing is an unkown to most of us and it might all be marketing fluff but if this optic performs as advertised it will be a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    100% agreed. I understand the urge to avoid buying from china but when American companies refuse to innovate am I supposed to reward them by paying a preimium for a product with lesser features. If the American companies truly wanted my business they'd make products that were undeniably better and I would be proud to buy them. It's like Holosun is making iPhones while Trijicon and Aimpoint are still trying to sell me the Nokia phone from the first Matrix movie.

If the most positive thing I can say about your product is "Well most of it isn't made in China." that's a sad state of affairs.

Granted right now this thing is an unkown to most of us and it might all be marketing fluff but if this optic performs as advertised it will be a game changer.
    Gimmicks completely aside I just want one that is designed for the actual handgun the way this one is.

We as consumers need to just say no to mailboxes, suppressor height sights, and the sides of the optic randomly jutting out from the slide, when Holosun has shown the market it is not necessary.

The MOS cut has been available for 7 years and no one else managed to do this? It's shameful.

I shall remain hopeful that some other company has a similarly streamlined pistol dot design hiding in its coat sleeves for SHOT. It's a pretty thin hope, though..

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post

The MOS cut has been available for 7 years and no one else managed to do this? It's shameful.

I shall remain hopeful that some other company has a similarly streamlined pistol dot design hiding in its coat sleeves for SHOT. It's a pretty thin hope, though..
    I could see others showing up just because CBP had put out they were looking for a duty red dot that direct mounted in the MOS cut and allowed the use of the standard ameriglo sights. I hope others were interested in making a sight as well.

Jason

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Oh man. I don't even have an MOS gun and I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    I could see others showing up just because CBP had put out they were looking for a duty red dot that direct mounted in the MOS cut and allowed the use of the standard ameriglo sights. I hope others were interested in making a sight as well.

Jason
    This is my hope, too. A choice of robust MOS direct mount closed emitter RDSes that allow normal height sights would bring me back into the MOS camp.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    Gimmicks completely aside I just want one that is designed for the actual handgun the way this one is.

We as consumers need to just say no to mailboxes, suppressor height sights, and the sides of the optic randomly jutting out from the slide, when Holosun has shown the market it is not necessary.

Have you actually used an ACRO ? Or a 509T? Or an MPS ?

Holosun did not come up with this optic on it’s own, it is a direct response to the U.S. CBP RFI issued in early 2020. Cbp is the largest law enforcement agency in North America whoever can meet their requirement is looking at selling 50,000 or 60,000 optics.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....red-dot-sights

The MOS cut was not designed to have optics mounted directly to it. Mounting an optic directly to the MOS cut is simply making the best of a bad situation. Regardless, the MOS uses top mounted screws Which is inferior to the cross bolt mounting system of the ACRO or Holosun’s own 509T.

For duty use open emitter sights are sub optimal. A gun and optic carried every day in an exposed duty holster lives a very different life than one carried concealed or one that goes from the gun safe to the Range and back.

The most impressive thing on this new sight is the auto adjust system, if it works as advertised.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-16-2022 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Have you actually used an ACRO ?

Holosun did not come up with this optic on it’s own, it is a direct response to the U.S. CBP RFI issued in early 2020. Cbp is the largest law enforcement agency in North America whoever can meet their requirement is looking at selling 50,000 or 60,000 optics.

The MOS cut was not designed to have optics mounted directly to it. Mounting an optic directly to the MLS cup is making the best of a bad situation. Regardless, the MOS uses top mounted screws Which is inferior to the cross bolt mounting system of the ACRO or Holosun’s own 509T.

The most impressive thing on this new site is the auto adjust system, if it works as advertised.
    My perfect world would be all makers adopting the ACRO cross bolt system, but I’m not sure that will happen. I’d think Glock would have started offering factory milled guns by now if there was a strong demand from CBP and other agencies.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List