Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun Solar powered dot that fits MOS cut out

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    For what it's worth, Aaron Cowan said on FB that he's been using one for about a year now and the auto adjustment is the best he's ever seen... Multiple light sensors that communicate with each other and are smart enough and quick enough to adjust to WML and such without the shooter even noticing. Sounds impressive (and long overdue) if it's true.
    If that’s true (and no reason not to think it would be) I’ll be replacing all my Shield RMSC with these.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Regardless of people trying to avoid buying things from China, Holosun produces things that have no competition.

It’s like avoiding iPhones or Apple products because they’re made in China.

At some point, having the better product might have to win out.

Seems like some smart product development engineers that actually are shooting enthusiasts.
    I'm close to giving up. Why are we paying a premium for Swedish and German engineers at Aimpoint and Steiner to fail utterly at competing with these guys? They hype up a new launch and hand us a gigantic mailbox that has no place on a pistol slide. It's tragic.

Let’s say I buy into the so called innovations of this new optic.

When will the solar panel be charging the battery? While in the holster under my shirt? Secured in the safe? On the nightstand while sleeping? I guess I’m gonna have to get a night light for my Glock. Or, I can set the Glock on the windowsill next to the cat to soak up the sun.

The real innovation would be the ability to plug a charging cord into the sight while the handgun sat on the night stand as I sleep, next to the phone and my hands free device.

I don’t want an auto adjust for illumination. I’ve yet to use an auto adjust setting that worked for me. I find that I’m sideways making adjustments to the illumination levels on my phone and computer screen. At least with my Aimpoint, adjusting illumination level is a simple turn of the knob.

I don’t want a side loading battery tray that doesn’t hold the battery securely. I don’t want a sealed emitter optic that fogs internally.

Offering features that don’t work the way I want isn’t innovation, no matter how unique they are. Convenience, ease of use, durability, reliability and seamless integration is. That’s what I get from Aimpoint.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

"Seamless integration"...?

Name:  dssadsadaasd.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  11255277_03_glock_19_gen_5_mos_aimpoint_ac_640.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  34.5 KB

Well, poop - that's another optic I've got to try! Now make one for the "K" footprint and I'm done and done - all optics, all the time

I’m intrigued. And I’m hoping it’s successful so Aimpoint and Trijicon follow along.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I would rather buy American/1st world, but as been said multiple times where is the innovation? Aimpoints new release is a joke. The p2 is where again? Not at your local store, that’s for sure. What is trijicon doing?

Holosuns aren’t as cheap as they once were, but they seem to be building optics that work and at least brining new things to market, that I am sure will sell. I’m going to buy what works best for me and my application. If it is made in China, oh well, global economy and decades of mismanaged policy and all that. Everyone else can keep craping on the only ones who aren’t just phoning it in and paying more of your dollars for last decades tech.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    For what it's worth, Aaron Cowan said on FB that he's been using one for about a year now and the auto adjustment is the best he's ever seen... Multiple light sensors that communicate with each other and are smart enough and quick enough to adjust to WML and such without the shooter even noticing. Sounds impressive (and long overdue) if it's true.
    Very interesting. I will go log on to facebeast to look for this. The lack of a usable sensed ambient to reticle brightness setting is one of the most annoying features of my Holosun sights. So much I pretty much leave them on manual/lockout, a few clicks down from full bright.

On the technical innovation front, I looked at various companies before I bought my first dot, a year or more ago. I'd reviewed the Trijicon offering, and it was impressive, made in USA, seemed to be reliable by all accounts for duty use. It also had a fairly stiff price tag (I recall the thought running through my head was you mean the OPTIC costs AS MUCH as the gun?!.

Then I looked at what Trijicon was doing in the marketspace to counter Holosun. I am not the world's most knowledgeble industry insider, but looks like they made two shrewdly calculated moves.

Trijicon: "Hey, those guys at Holosun are innovating. What should we do to compete and provide technical discriminators so consumers chose our optics? I know: LET'S FILE A LAWSUIT AGAINST THEIR BUTTON LOCATION!"

Holosun - "We moved the buttons."

Trijicon: "Ok team, we are working on a new slim optic, leveraging RMR technology. Hmmm, these people at Sig Sauer just introduced a slim new pistol design with a stack and a half magazine, that seems awfully popular. But, their optic-ready version has this other makers optic footprint. What should we do? I know: LETS DESIGN THE RMRCC WITH A DIFFERENT PROPRIETARY OPTIC FOOTPRINT!"

Sig Sauer: Proceeds to sell over a million P365 FCUs, many that end up with direct screw-on RMSc optics.

Talk about a couple forehead slapping decisions. I mean, I'd love to buy American, but geez guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    "Seamless integration"...?

Name:  dssadsadaasd.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  11255277_03_glock_19_gen_5_mos_aimpoint_ac_640.jpg
Views: 888
Size:  34.5 KB
    Yes, seamless integration, as in seamless integration of operation. As in, all I have to do is pick up the weapon, look through the sight and use it. As in, if I have to make an adjustment, I can make that adjustment easily. Not "Damn, I wish I could make that dot brighter. Or dimmer. By simply pushing a button. Or turning a dial."

A big negative of the Delta Point Pro (not a Holosun, I know) is changing illumination levels. Reaching inside the sight, blocking the view of the dot while being able only to increase illumination is a poor design.

I don't want illumination control to be only automatic because it'll never be at the level I want or the compromise I can live with. That's not seamless integration. Clunky features like a solar panel instead of a charging port is not seamless integration.

Are Aimpoints perfect? No. I don't like I have to remove the turret caps and use a special tool to make sight adjustments, which is why I use FCD ATA caps on my micros.

Yes, the P2 looks like a mailbox. I mentioned that sometime back on another forum. Seamless integration of aesthetics is a whole other discussion and low on my list of priorities.

Holosun has come a long way astonishingly fast. But not all features are innovative. One Holosun feature that is- the giant circle that helps the shooter center the sight and find the dot. That's innovative.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Yes, seamless integration, as in seamless integration of operation. As in, all I have to do is pick up the weapon, look through the sight and use it. As in, if I have to make an adjustment, I can make that adjustment easily. Not "Damn, I wish I could make that dot brighter. Or dimmer. By simply pushing a button. Or turning a dial."

A big negative of the Delta Point Pro (not a Holosun, I know) is changing illumination levels. Reaching inside the sight, blocking the view of the dot while being able only to increase illumination is a poor design.

I don't want illumination control to be only automatic because it'll never be at the level I want or the compromise I can live with. That's not seamless integration. Clunky features like a solar panel instead of a charging port is not seamless integration.

Are Aimpoints perfect? No. I don't like I have to remove the turret caps and use a special tool to make sight adjustments, which is why I use FCD ATA caps on my micros.

Yes, the P2 looks like a mailbox. I mentioned that sometime back on another forum. Seamless integration of aesthetics is a whole other discussion and low on my list of priorities.

Holosun has come a long way astonishingly fast. But not all features are innovative. One Holosun feature that is- the giant circle that helps the shooter center the sight and find the dot. That's innovative.
    You're describing issues with current products. A manufacturer is claiming that they have engineered a solution to problems you've encountered in real world use and requires less futzing with the optic. That is the definition of innovation.

Whether or not the product lives up to those claims remains to be seen.

User Tag List