Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun Solar powered dot that fits MOS cut out

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    My understanding (and it could be wrong) is that it's basically a battery optic with a solar option to extend the battery life.
    If it doesn't see a lot of light, just swap out the battery like a normal RDS.
    If you listen to the interview the battery isn’t user serviceable.

It’s a rechargeable lithium internal battery that when charged can run the unit 20,000 hours.

If battery gets to end of life cycles they said they’d factory service it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Sarcasm??? Leave my carry gun under a window for a few days so anyone walking by can do a smash and grab?

Thats great. My regular Holosun does the same. However, when it isn't fine, I just put in a new battery and we are ready to go again in like 2 minutes.

Please dont misunderstand. I like the idea. Would have preferred that to be a closed emitter optic, but I've been carrying open emitters for years without any serious issues. My gun lives indoors, under a cover garment 95+% of the time. I'm at the range once a week-ish, but end up under cover most times when I cant redefine the firing line due to others being there. Even if I were to go out from under the cover I'm there for an hour or so. Is that enough to charge it or do I end up with a dead optic and need to take hours to charge it. Kind of sucks if I wake up and see the blinking dot and now what???

While my question was posed in a tongue and cheek kind of way it was serious. Can this thing be topped off with drawer lamp, or safe lamp or? How does charging work and get controlled. If one were to rig up a chagrin light in a nightstand drawer or safe, would it cook the battery eventually...
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    My understanding (and it could be wrong) is that it's basically a battery optic with a solar option to extend the battery life.
    If it doesn't see a lot of light, just swap out the battery like a normal RDS.
    When in sunlight the dot doesn't use the battery. I'm guessing that is direct sunlight only. Also, there is a limiter on the charging of the battery, so while any light source will charge it, it doesn't overcharge it. I'm thinking I'll treat it like everyone treats battery operated RDS's -- instead of replacing the battery once a year, let it charge under a light for a few hours(unless you run a DPP and replace the battery every 6 months). I have a Delta Point Pro on my G19 now and want to switch to the SCS. I like the low profile, no plate needed, regular sights are usable, the technology is cool and I like they matched the slide serrations to the optic; which I didn't notice until they mentioned it in the video. The DPP can move to my shotgun.
    The battery is not "end-user" replaceable. It has to be sent in for battery replacement, IF it ever needs it. In the video, they call it a lifetime battery. My guess is they are going to develop something more high-tech in 6 months making the SCS obsolete like a payphone.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Me too, but I don't see anything else on the optic body that resembles a switch. I'm trying to create a preliminary QRC for it, maybe I will just wait till they drop the owner's manual to confirm.
    I emailed Holosun support to ask how the button works, didn't get a reply yet but I'll post if they do.

On the battery: This is just speculation based on being a boomer EE retired out of the Aerospace biz, so take it for what it's worth:

The SCS system components most likely include the following. A three way power system consisting of a light-capturing solar array, battery, and some kind of capacitive storage that recharges from any amount of ambient light. Inputs would be a micro motion-sensor and two external light-activated sensors (two, based on the statements in various videos that suggest a better light-sensing algorithm). The output is a highly efficient laser emitter, all of these tied into central custom or semi-custom integrated circuit containing the processor and logic firmware.

It's most unlikely Holosun will publish any power consumption figures other than "estimated" lifetime(s) for the SCS under "normal use". The manufacturer states "Unlimited" for battery life, which obviously isn't quantifiable but interesting nevertheless.

I think the closest analog I can think of to this sight is my solar-recharged Citizen dive watch I have. There's no battery replacement on it, either, it just works. I keep it hanging up on my peg board, exposed to ambient light in my office. But in general I don't worry about it. It think the objective of the SCS is that Holosun expects it to act the same way - users don't have to worry about it.

The question probably more germane is "how long can the SCS be stored in complete darkness, and be pulled out and be expected to work?" is a good one. I don't know the answer to this, but perhaps somewhere in the product review videos someone from Holosun mentioned, but not sure.

As a design engineer, and potential consumer, I would hope the specification for this is on the order of a year or more, but we'll have to see.

On the battery: This is just speculation based on being a boomer EE retired out of the Aerospace biz, so take it for what it's worth:

The SCS system components most likely include the following. A three way power system consisting of a light-capturing solar array, battery, and some kind of capacitive storage that recharges from any amount of ambient light.
    Do you have an educated guess as to what kind(s) of light would charge the system? Would LEDs be likely to do so?

I was thinking along the lines of retrofitting a tiny LED nightlight into a nightstand drawer or quick access safe situation. The container mounted light certainly wouldn't make it harder to access your handgun in an emergency. If a tiny amount of light leaked out, it could even help with orientation in the dark; I would consider drilling a pin hole through the container in the most appropriate spot. If excess light pollution became the problem, then a simple gasket material could be added.

One could even use a cheap solar nightlight that was relocated to the nearest windowsill every morning, but a reasonably well thought out 120 volt solution would be a one-time intervention that would have multiple added benefits. For those with limited skills/knowledge/creativity to build from components, a 6' USB cord, an $8 USB light stick, and some duct tape or hook-&-loop adhesive strips could be the endgame here. I'm thinking $20 in components, some duct tape, a drill bit, and a half hour of time would do it for most people. It wouldn't have to be the 'Mission to Mars' of DIY projects.

Come to think of it, everyone I know seems to have 120 volt AC outlet strips, old USB AC adapters, USB cords, duct tape, and ton of other stupid crap haunting the nether regions of their closets and junk drawers. Most people would probably just need an $8 USB light bar.

Quote Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
    Do you have an educated guess as to what kind(s) of light would charge the system? Would LEDs be likely to do so?
    Not sure. As a complete WAG, and based on how these sensors typically operate, I'd say literally anything within the visible spectrum above UV and below IR (400 to 700 nm) could elicit a charge current from the solar array. The more Lumens the better, of course.

Of more practical interest would be what the floor would be for flow sufficient to provide a valid charging potential across the capacitor...this is likely a bit higher than a single LED, for example, but I dunno.

We call this wiggly amp stuff (aka analog). You have to have specifics on the components, which aren't really in the public domain here. We'll have to wait and see how the early adopters turn out...

Site Supporter
    The question probably more germane is "how long can the SCS be stored in complete darkness, and be pulled out and be expected to work?" is a good one. I don't know the answer to this, but perhaps somewhere in the product review videos someone from Holosun mentioned, but not sure.

As a design engineer, and potential consumer, I would hope the specification for this is on the order of a year or more, but we'll have to see.
    The button for the reticle is also an on/off button. You'll be able to turn it off, wait a few years and then turn it back on(this is just a W.A.G. I have no idea if it can be left off for a few years).
    --Jason--

This is the video where the Holosun rep mentions 20,000 hours. 2:15.

20,000 hours is 833 days or a bit over two years. Hmmm.

I emailed Holosun support to ask how the button works, didn't get a reply yet but I'll post if they do.
    I received this response from Holosun Customer Service tonight:

“Thank you for contacting Holosun

A long press will power the optic on and off, and momentary presses switch reticle options, i will have exact times when the SCS is released in the May time-frame.

Best regards, ”

Gotta say, I didn’t expect an answer, but I’m impressed.

Edit: Cross posting the preliminary QRC for the SCS MOS, here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1327766
    Last edited by RJ; 02-28-2022 at 08:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    I received this response from Holosun Customer Service tonight:

“Thank you for contacting Holosun

A long press will power the optic on and off, and momentary presses switch reticle options, i will have exact times when the SCS is released in the May time-frame.

Best regards, ”

Gotta say, I didn’t expect an answer, but I’m impressed.

Edit: Cross posting the preliminary QRC for the SCS MOS, here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1327766
    May release is good to know. I was saving up for the SCS but bought a S.O. Tech Messenger bag off ebay I didn't need.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    May release is good to know. I was saving up for the SCS but bought a S.O. Tech Messenger bag off ebay I didn't need.
    No. He says he "will have exact times in the May time frame". That's when they will actually reveal the release date. I suspect it won't be out before next year at that rate.

User Tag List