Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun Solar powered dot that fits MOS cut out

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    The solar panel is completely flush and out of the way. It’s about the least clunk option aside from the RMR that has to be removed to replace the battery.
    Let's look at my typical day-

-Regardeless of when I set the alarm, I am awakened by Belle when she places seven and a half pounds of her ten pound body weight to let me know it's time to fix her breakfast at 0605 sharp. If I ignore her, hoping she'll go away, she turns up her gravity so that tiny paw is now pressing down with close to twenty pounds. I groan, sit up and fumble for my glasses in the dark. It's winter and the sun hasn't come up yet. I do not turn on the lights as to not disturb my wife. My glasses are on the nightstand, near the handgun in it's holster. I can just make out the three tritium pips of its sights.

I get up, follow Belle into the dining room where she's brushed. Then we play, using a cat wand until she's had her morning exercise. Then, I fix her breakfast and feed her.

I had to the bathroom and snap on the lights and do the things I need to do before starting the day.

My job requires me to enter a TSA secured area to meet aircraft. No weapons allowed. Therefore, my pistol stays home. Before I leave for work, the pistol goes into the safe. Where it's dark. If it's a day where I leave later, the sun's only up for a couple of hours before the pistol is secured in the safe.

If I'm going out & about, the pistol goes on my belt concealed under a shirt. Where it's dark.

If it's a day I stay home and write, the pistol is either on me under a shirt, in the desk drawer, on the desk or on the nightstand. I suppose the optic might get a couple of hours of indirect light.

But the reality is, the pistol is rarely in a situation the solar panel would be charging the optic and is therefore, useless no matter how seamless it seems. Give me an optic that can be charged while sitting on the nightstand next to the phone. Have you ever used a solar powered only calculator? It doesn't get enough light to be counted on to work reliably. Yes, the optic in question has a battery for when the solar panel isn't charging the system. But if a solar panel can't be counted on to reliably run a calculator, it tells me it cannot be relied on to charge the battery of a pistol optic.

And if the auto adjust works as well as the theory, it’s more seamless than anything with a manual adjust.
    Auto adjust doesn't set the illumination levels where I want it 100% of the time. I'd rather have a simple to use manual adjust than auto-adjust only.

Like the people that rogue an always on RDS is better than an EO with on/off button. Well executed auto adjust is as seamless as it gets.
    That's completely different. EOTechs are notorious for burning through batteries, even with its auto off feature.

I would love an electronic sight that I can plug into a charger. That would be seamless!
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Let's look at my typical day-

-Regardeless of when I set the alarm, I am awakened by Belle when she places seven and a half pounds of her ten pound body weight to let me know it's time to fix her breakfast at 0605 sharp. If I ignore her, hoping she'll go away, she turns up her gravity so that tiny paw is now pressing down with close to twenty pounds. I groan, sit up and fumble for my glasses in the dark. It's winter and the sun hasn't come up yet. I do not turn on the lights as to not disturb my wife. My glasses are on the nightstand, near the handgun in it's holster. I can just make out the three tritium pips of its sights.

I get up, follow Belle into the dining room where she's brushed. Then we play, using a cat wand until she's had her morning exercise. Then, I fix her breakfast and feed her.

I had to the bathroom and snap on the lights and do the things I need to do before starting the day.

My job requires me to enter a TSA secured area to meet aircraft. No weapons allowed. Therefore, my pistol stays home. Before I leave for work, the pistol goes into the safe. Where it's dark. If it's a day where I leave later, the sun's only up for a couple of hours before the pistol is secured in the safe.

If I'm going out & about, the pistol goes on my belt concealed under a shirt. Where it's dark.

If it's a day I stay home and write, the pistol is either on me under a shirt, in the desk drawer, on the desk or on the nightstand. I suppose the optic might get a couple of hours of indirect light.

But the reality is, the pistol is rarely in a situation the solar panel would be charging the optic and is therefore, useless no matter how seamless it seems. Give me an optic that can be charged while sitting on the nightstand next to the phone. Have you ever used a solar powered only calculator? It doesn't get enough light to be counted on to work reliably. Yes, the optic in question has a battery for when the solar panel isn't charging the system. But if a solar panel can't be counted on to reliably run a calculator, it tells me it cannot be relied on to charge the battery of a pistol optic.

Auto adjust doesn't set the illumination levels where I want it 100% of the time. I'd rather have a simple to use manual adjust than auto-adjust only.

That's completely different. EOTechs are notorious for burning through batteries, even with its auto off feature.

I would love an electronic sight that I can plug into a charger. That would be seamless!
    Do we know that sunlight is required? My Logitech keyboard is “solar powered”. The LED desk lamp has kept it charged for a couple years now. I do agree a cable would be better but I don’t discount it out of hand just yet. My TI solar calculator works the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Do we know that sunlight is required? My Logitech keyboard is “solar powered”. The LED desk lamp has kept it charged for a couple years now. I do agree a cable would be better but I don’t discount it out of hand just yet. My TI solar calculator works the same.
    Solar panels can work off most types of artificial lighting.

My pistols, including my EDC, spend more time in the dark, than they do in the light. I'm not gonna put my EDC under a desk light while sleeping, or on the window sill during the day to justify the solar panel when electronic sights of better quality with an unassisted battery life measured in years are available.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

It appears there's also a S&W M&P model coming as well.

Name:  Screenshot_20220118-021054~2.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  31.6 KB

Holosun is claiming 20,000 hours of runtime once the internal battery is charged. No mention on how long it takes to fully charge or how to verify when fully charged.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post

Holosun is claiming 20,000 hours of runtime once the internal battery is charged. No mention on how long it takes to fully charge or how to verify when fully charged.
    Cowan says his would be in the safe for a week plus and be on when it came out and it can be charged with artifical light.

Sounds like my range trips will charge my battery for the week or 2 in between them hahaha.

I'm surprised and very excited to see a S&W CORE version so soon, and at all.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post

So assuming a full charge you can leave it in your safe in the dark for 2 years without any light at all.

That's pretty pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    So assuming a full charge you can leave it in your safe in the dark for 2 years without any light at all.

That's pretty pretty good.
    Nah, it'll never work. Holosun is dumb for innovating.

Saw one in a video for p10c as well.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Saw one in a video for p10c as well.
    Well, shit. That may cost me some $$$.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List