Thread: Best solvent for removing paint from optics

Best solvent for removing paint from optics

I have a couple Aimpoints that some idiot (me) spray painted. Any tips on safely removing the paint?

You have to be careful not to damage the gaskets with some of the more aggressive solvent vapors.

What kind of spray paint? That will dictate the correct solvent or method.

I would simply spray paint them again with a sold color (I’m assuming they currently wear a rattle can camo finish).

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    You have to be careful not to damage the gaskets with some of the more aggressive solvent vapors.

What kind of spray paint? That will dictate the correct solvent or method.
    Just regular krylon I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    I would simply spray paint them again with a sold color (I’m assuming they currently wear a rattle can camo finish).
    I considered that, but OD green is gonna look weird on a stainless revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Super77 View Post
    Just regular krylon I believe.
    OK. I would look for a LOW VOC paint stripper gel, and carefully apply it to the painted areas with a small brush, while avoiding the lens gaskets and turret gaskets. The low VOC formulas should minimize the potential to damage the lens seals and the gaskets, and should have no effect on the underlying anodize finish.

PPG PR-3500-35 PAINT REMOVER LIMITED VOC is an aircraft-rated paint stripper that is OK on aluminum and anodized aluminum, as one example. Look for something that meets MIL-R-81294.

Citri Strip works well on Krylon but like stated, be careful of the gaskets, etc.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Pure Acetone is the correct solution.
    Most commercial strippers you find are Acetone based anyways with other more dangerous chemical additives included. It is probably the weakest solvent that is paint effective and it won't hurt gaskets unless they are sitting in them for hours.

Use a rag and q tips and go slowly. I have done many scopes this way.

Site Supporter
    When I worked in the flooring business, I learned that regular vegetable oil would remove paint without damaging surfaces.

User Tag List