Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W Bodyguard 38 vs Ruger LCR

$.02

If the revolver must be a snubby, and is to be left unattended/neglected in a garage, and potentially used only in case of emergency, a slightly heavier weight .38 Special revolver like the Bodyguard might prove easier to shoot well in extremis than a very lightweight one like the LCR, in spite of the better stock trigger on the LCR.

I have a S&W 649 and two Ruger LCRs, and I find heavier (158gr+P LSWCHP) loads to be both much easier to shoot and far more accurate and precise from the 649.

The LCRs are better with lighter loads, and actually hit to POA in my two examples only with 148gr wadcutters.

(I'm assuming used examples of 49s and 649s are to be found for less than retail on the LCR, of course. I got mine new-used in a private transaction years ago for $200 and had the trigger tuned, and overall I consider it's a notably superior gun to the LCRs, all things considered.)

If a 2" barrel isn't a requirement, then I agree with those above who suggest a somewhat larger revolver.
    Last edited by SAWBONES; 01-15-2022 at 09:42 AM.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    $.02

If the revolver must be a snubby, and is to be left unattended/neglected in a garage, and potentially used only in case of emergency, a slightly heavier weight .38 Special revolver like the Bodyguard might prove easier to shoot well in extremis than a very lightweight one like the LCR, in spite of the better stock trigger on the LCR.
    The current S&W Bodyguard is a 14oz polymer framed gun, just like the LCR.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The current S&W Bodyguard is a 14oz polymer framed gun, just like the LCR.
    Oh, the one with the top-backstrap cylinder release?
    No way, wouldn't even consider it.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!
    My initial response to him was find a bigger space to secure the gun! I agree that something like a Model 10, et al would be much more ideal.

I was trying to push him towards the 3" versions of the LCR at a minimum. He could also take that when we go hunting or fishing. I was kind of pushing the .357 to get some extra weight as he would like his wife to be able to shoot it as well (with .38's). I carried a 442 for a year or so in the 90's and while it was light, I never enjoyed shooting it and thus did not practice with it very much.

We were sort of "drinking and thinking" about a solution last night, but I think I am going to try and steer him back toward the Model 10 solution.

I will also let him know that the Bodyguard is probably best avoided. I figured that the Bodyguard is not mentioned often for a reason.

Thing 1: Everyone talks shit about the current bodyguard but has anyone actually used one?

Thing 2: A 15 oz J with 3 finger grip is a pussy cat with FGMM 148's I think before we talk about gun weight a bigger discussion is what will be used in it.

I owned an early version of the Smith & Wesson bodyguard. I bought it because I had a Taurus revolver that sucked so I decided to buy something different.

While as the LGS, I was looking at a Ruger LCR and I noticed that there was a bodyguard in the display cabinet for a little less money, and it came with the factory laser as well. I thought that the laser would be a good idea, it wasn’t, and so I bought the bodyguard.

The cylinder turns like a colt, the laser wasn’t as easy to turn on as I originally thought, and it was really easy to short stroke the trigger which would result in a click not a bang. I ended up selling it a short time later and bought a Smith & Wesson 442 instead.

All that being said, I did take a chance and purchased a Taurus 856, and have been really impressed with it. I bought the steel version so it is a little heavier but nicer to shoot. So if a full sized model 10 or something like it won’t work, the 856 would be worth looking at.

Wade

Site Supporter
    Additional thoughts: Bodyguards that are real, original Bodyguards look like this 638: https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...70&preselect=1 and if you want one, that’s a fine gun that is still in the product line. They aren’t as popular as the Centennials with completely enclosed hammers, though.

The polymer revolver labeled “Bodyguard” in the current product line doesn’t seem to have a good reputation. Whether that’s curmudgeons complaining, or real deficiencies in the product, I have no idea.

An all-steel Jframe (regardless of hammer/no hammer/shrouded hammer) with good grips that fit the shooter is much more fun to shoot a lot of rounds through, especially full-power or +P combat loads, than any Airweight or Airlight that isn’t a .22. That may or may not be important for the sock drawer/lock box crowd than for shooters, but I know from experience helping newbies, a pleasant shooting gun attracts them to go back shooting a lot more than one that makes them question their life choices.

I've always thought that the polymer Bodyguard was made for a specific price point. It competes with similar revolver designs using polymer or cheaper imported brands. I've been a J-frame fan since the '70s. My pocket carry J is the 340PD. Expensive when I bought it years back. Red ramp front sight and no lock. Haven't priced J-frames lately since I am not in the market for one. But I think I've seen them for around $1000, but as always, could be wrong.

User Tag List