Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W Bodyguard 38 vs Ruger LCR

S&W Bodyguard 38 vs Ruger LCR

A friend of mine is looking for a small revolver that will essentially be used very little and will be left loaded and secured in his garage. At first I suggested the Ruger LCR but those are going for about 600 bucks locally. That seems pretty steep for a gun that will not be used heavily. Then I remembered the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard. Those are 400 dollars locally.

I know the LCR seem pretty well received here, but I have not read much about the Bodyguard. What do you guys think? I have seen some reviews that are positive but the revolver does not get much attention overall.

Thanks,

Matt

I chose the LCR because it was a lot easier to put on a real front sight (XS Big Dot).
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

I haven’t been impressed. Had a few Bodyguards come through classes.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I have had my Ruger LCR .38 since July 2019, and am at about 525 rounds through. It's reliable and accurate. I installed a Big Dot sight and find that helps, over the white ramp.

When I bought it, I tried a number of S&W J-frames. They looked very nice, but they all had some varying degree of trigger creep or crunchiness. Since I'm not skilled enough to do whatever tuning was required to smooth that out, I just bought the LCR (I caught a CDNN sale and it was $369 plus shipping to my FFL.)

The Ruger trigger was noticeably better than the Smiths. One knock I would have is you have to let it all the way out for the reset. Early on I didn't, and had issues. I generally don't shoot mine much now, maybe every month or two, to verify action and clean. I carry it in a Desantis Nemesis.

If it's not being carried why not a used modle 10, or Taurus 856? Both would be less expensive.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    If it's not being carried why not a used modle 10, or Taurus 856? Both would be less expensive.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk
    Yes.
    One problem with small revolvers is small grips, and I do not think there are many alternatives for the Bodyguard.
    Might also be able to find a used GP-100? Might find a 3"?
    Maybe just troll for whatever used revolver that might be available locally?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4" m64
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921225581

I know it's not one of the 2 being asked about but it doesn't seem like it has to be a 2" snubby.

Quote Originally Posted by ECVMatt View Post
    A friend of mine is looking for a small revolver that will essentially be used very little and will be left loaded and secured in his garage. At first I suggested the Ruger LCR but those are going for about 600 bucks locally. That seems pretty steep for a gun that will not be used heavily. Then I remembered the Smith and Wesson Bodyguard. Those are 400 dollars locally.

I know the LCR seem pretty well received here, but I have not read much about the Bodyguard. What do you guys think? I have seen some reviews that are positive but the revolver does not get much attention overall.

Thanks,

Matt
    Is the “secured” storage space so tiny that the weapon MUST be a small-frame weapon? A pre-owned Model 10 has been mentioned, already, and I will add that only the tiniest of hands will find a Model 10 to be too large to handle.

The only role that I have, today, for J-Frames, is occasional specialized carry, such as pocket and ankle, and, just recently, because the City Special, that is on my Enigma rig, is not made for what has been my usual minimum revolver, since about 2002, the SP101. By reputation, here at P-F, and on other forums, plus, favorable experience with multiple samples of SP101 and GP100 revolvers, I would, personally, choose the LCR, if I had to select a smaller-than-SP101 revolver, purchased new, today.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Site Supporter
    If buying used, I would look for one with a better return policy than “as is.” Another forum member is currently having multiple issues with a used Detective Special as discussed in other threads.

As between the J-frame and Ruger, the better, more easily replaceable front sight could easily make up for the difference in cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    4" m64
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921225581

I know it's not one of the 2 being asked about but it doesn't seem like it has to be a 2" snubby.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Yes.
    One problem with small revolvers is small grips, and I do not think there are many alternatives for the Bodyguard.
    Might also be able to find a used GP-100? Might find a 3"?
    Maybe just troll for whatever used revolver that might be available locally?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    Is the “secured” storage space so tiny that the weapon MUST be a small-frame weapon? A pre-owned Model 10 has been mentioned, already, and I will add that only the tiniest of hands will find a Model 10 to be too large to handle.

The only role that I have, today, for J-Frames, is occasional specialized carry, such as pocket and ankle, and, just recently, because the City Special, that is on my Enigma rig, is not made for what has been my usual minimum revolver, since about 2002, the SP101. By reputation, here at P-F, and on other forums, plus, favorable experience with multiple samples of SP101 and GP100 revolvers, I would, personally, choose the LCR, if I had to select a smaller-than-SP101 revolver, purchased new, today.
    This, all of it. A gun for pocket or ankle? Yeah, get that little 5 shot .38. A gun that’s going to sit in a lockbox for HD, or in a sock drawer? 4” Kframe heavy barrel or GP100 makes a lot more sense.

User Tag List