Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPA going after leaded avgas

EPA going after leaded avgas

@GJM

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/...aviation-fuel/

In a long-anticipated move, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced today (Jan. 12) that it “will take the necessary steps to regulate lead pollution from aircrafts (sic).” Those steps start with proposing an “endangerment finding” on leaded aviation gasoline, expected by the end of this year. Finalizing that finding is expected in 2023."
    #RESIST

Well, darn; where will I gas up my Ferrari 250?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Nothing new. They’ve been after this for years.

Also, it needs to be explained to them that the word “aircraft” IS plural. Adding an “S” is a personal pet peeve...
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Nothing new. They’ve been after this for years.

Also, it needs to be explained to them that the word “aircraft” IS plural. Adding an “S” is a personal pet peeve...
    They’re serious this time.
    #RESIST

Removing lead from Avgas would make my job easier, reduce maintenance costs and possibly extend hours before overhaul of piston engines. For example, oil changes are usually performed every 50 hours because the lead in the fuel contaminates the oil and builds up in the lubrication system. Because of lead buildup, spark plugs need to be cleaned and inspected every 100 hours. You can’t just replace spark plugs because they’re expensive and engines use two per cylinder. A four cylinder engine uses 8 spark plugs.

The article mentions various STCs (supplemental type certificates) allowing the use of mogas (automotive gasoline). The problem with mogas is the presence of ethanol and looser standards. STC notwithstanding, performance while using mogas is not consistent, even with high octane ethanol free mogas. Adding to the problem is not all airports carry mogas.

The problem is developing a unleaded blend that meets the criteria for detonation suppression, evaporation and vaporization for safety of flight. Mogas is prone to vapor lock at altitudes piston driven aircraft are likely to be operating.

My hope is that we find a solution before the EPA steps in and mucks up the works.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-16-2022 at 10:39 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Removing lead from Avgas would make my job easier, reduce maintenance costs and possibly extend hours before overhaul of piston engines. For example, oil changes are usually performed every 50 hours because the lead in the fuel contaminates the oil and builds up in the lubrication system. Because of lead buildup, spark plugs need to be cleaned and inspected every 100 hours. You can’t just replace spark plugs because they’re expensive and engines use two per cylinder. A four cylinder engine uses 8 spark plugs.

The article mentions various STCs (supplemental type certificates) allowing the use of mogas (automotive gasoline). The problem with mogas is the presence of ethanol and looser standards. STC notwithstanding, performance while using mogas is not consistent, even with high octane ethanol free mogas. Adding to the problem is not all airports carry mogas.

The problem is developing a unleaded blend that meets the criteria for detonation suppression, evaporation and vaporization for safety of flight. Mogas is prone to vapor lock at altitudes piston driven aircraft are likely to be operating.

My hope is that we find a solution before the EPA steps in and mucks up the works.
    We’ve used ethanol free 89 octane mogas for decades without issue. You can get away with the lower octane in O-320’s and lower compression engines without issue. Frankly, it’s kept flying affordable for my family all these years.

O-360’s and higher compression engines will need a higher octane, as you know.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    We’ve used ethanol free 89 octane mogas for decades without issue. You can get away with the lower octane in O-320’s and lower compression engines without issue. Frankly, it’s kept flying affordable for my family all these years.

O-360’s and higher compression engines will need a higher octane, as you know.
    I was just thinking that from a private user perspective, mogas probably works fine.

But in my experience; for 135, flight school, aircraft rental; its performance is too unpredictable.

General Aviation needs an across the board safe replacement for 100LL.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    I was just thinking that from a private user perspective, mogas probably works fine.

But in my experience; for 135, flight school, aircraft rental; its performance is too unpredictable.

General Aviation needs an across the board safe replacement for 100LL.
    We ran mogas in one of the 172’s at the flight school I instructed at when I was in college. I think it was the only one with the STC. I don’t remember any issues, but of course that was one airplane and it was a 150hp O-320. I would not be nearly as willing to run mogas in a 180hp O-360, or maybe even a 160hp O-320.

I wouldn’t think twice about running it in something like a Cub or Champ, though.

But yeah, we’ve been on borrowed time with 100LL. A replacement is long overdue.

Rotax must be getting excited about this possibility, given their enthusiast market and mogas engines. I'm sure they're looking at this and getting ideas to expand their use outside the bush community.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Rotax must be getting excited about this possibility, given their enthusiast market and mogas engines. I'm sure they're looking at this and getting ideas to expand their use outside the bush community.
    We switched our Rotax powered Sport Cruiser to high octane ethanol free mogas for a short time. Didn’t turn out well.

Of course, our airport is at 4000 feet and ground temps through the year vary from 110 to -25.

User Tag List