Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why BUIS?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    For what it’s worth, I’m willing to consider defensive handguns without BUIS due to the limited range. Long guns are a much harder sell for me.
    This is a good point, though in a purely civilian context, shooting through a dead RDS window is *probably* enough precision for the distance.

I had an RDS setup about 3 years ago. On a visit to the range, the RDS suddenly failed to operate. I quickly realized that I'd failed to properly screw-down the battery cover plate, enabling it to flip away during a string of fire, relieving the battery from the rig as well. Without my iron sights in that scenario, I'd have no effective means to hit a target beyond about 3-5 yds.

Because empty dovetails are ugly?

Edit, because tech forum:

Reasons -
    -I don't think a slide mounted RDS is as bomb proof as a frame mounted or carbine mounted optic, particularly the open emitter optics I use. The performance tradeoff is worth the risk for me, so I want BUIS.

-For the same reasons I maintained them on my Aimpoint PRO equipped carbine: because why not? Now that a LPVO sits on top of my carbine, I don't bother.

-Crude zero verification.
    Last edited by David S.; 01-14-2022 at 05:57 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Even good RDS shit the bed, like my T1 did on a SWAT op when bad guy was trying to turn a neighborhood into Fallujah. Not a dead battery, a dead optic. Finished the op w irons.

BUIS aren’t optional for me.
    Same, I had an EOTech (before our switch to Aimpoint) on my rifle go down hard dealing with a barricaded homicide suspect years ago. Had to flip the irons up.

I'm probably in the "old dog/new tricks" category but I'm just plain not comfortable with the idea that a life saving piece of equipment is entirely dependent on electronics/batteries.

Hell, I purposely choose to wear a mechanical watch because I won't ever have to deal with batteries. ;-)
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I'm probably in the "old dog/new tricks" category but I'm just plain not comfortable with the idea that a life saving piece of equipment is entirely dependent on electronics/batteries.

Hell, I purposely choose to wear a mechanical watch because I won't ever have to deal with batteries. ;-)
    Hope you never need a pacemaker. Or a flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    What are the reasons, excuses and justifications for having back up iron sights (BUIS) on optics equipped duty weapons (including carbines)?
    Last June I was able take a Rangemaster Instructor class, even though I am just beginning my advanced training journey. Second day on the range the screws broke on the RDS on my double stack 9 with Tom Givens standing right behind me. The sight flew up, landed on top of my ball cap and bounced to the ground. I was able to continue the drill uninterrupted with the iron sights. Tom said it confirmed his contention that RDS are not ready for prime time. Given the quality of my eyesight I will continue to use the RDS, but also practice with the irons. I cannot imagine any duty or self-defense EDC gun, not having BUIS with the RDS.
    Craig
    VCDL, ACLDN, SAF (Life), GOA, NRA (Benefactor Life), USAF Retired
    https://tinyurl.com/craig-trains

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Hope you never need a pacemaker. Or a flashlight.
    Or a modern car, or a cell phone or ...

That's an easy response/diss.

The world we live in now is filled in its entirety with electronics and I don't have a choice in matter. I'm using electronics right this second to respond to you.

None of this means that 1) I want it back the way it was before and 2) that I'm so comfortable with all of it that I don't worry about it anymore. It just means that I'm not comfortable relying entirely on electronics, no matter how useful they are (and they are incredibly useful)

Some things, like a cell phone or a flashlight, I can't do without and so I keep extra batteries and chargers and all the support stuff and even then, at the very moment I need them, they may not work, and I'd better figure out a way around that (preferably before it happens). With a pistol (or a rifle) the same thing can/has happened, the best/easiest "way around" that is to have irons, as far as I'm concerned.

Anything/everything breaks, I like the idea of having back ups that work entirely differently from the primary equipment.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Or a modern car, or a cell phone or ...

That's an easy response/diss.

The world we live in now is filled in its entirety with electronics and I don't have a choice in matter. I'm using electronics right this second to respond to you.

None of this means that 1) I want it back the way it was before and 2) that I'm so comfortable with all of it that I don't worry about it anymore. It just means that I'm not comfortable relying entirely on electronics, no matter how useful they are (and they are incredibly useful)

Some things, like a cell phone or a flashlight, I can't do without and so I keep extra batteries and chargers and all the support stuff and even then, at the very moment I need them, they may not work, and I'd better figure out a way around that (preferably before it happens). With a pistol (or a rifle) the same thing can/has happened, the best/easiest "way around" that is to have irons, as far as I'm concerned.

Anything/everything breaks, I like the idea of having back ups that work entirely differently from the primary equipment.
    I see that I believe I misunderstood your original post. Your response leads me to believe that you are good with electronic sights as long as they also have BUIS.... We both agree on that.
    I read your original post as being against Dots in general and you used irons exclusively. My bad.

I have suppressor sites on my Sig 320 with the carry optics. It helped me to learn to use the carry optic. But now they are just big sites in the way.

User Tag List