Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Why BUIS?

The main thing I still haven't seen change in 20... shit, maybe 30 years?.. of this argument...

why NOT BUIS?

If you can't afford these, the problem isn't the gunfight* it's your finances.

If you can't lift them, the problem isn't the gunfight either.

and that's just one example that's relatively low cost and low weight.

*as mentioned earlier in the thread, I couldn't care less about the gunfight. People get carried away with "transition to the pistol" or "I'm not gonna have the tools to remove by 1.x-2M optic", etc.

Maybe. IDK, I haven't had my gunfight yet. A trend I hope to continue.

I have damn sure been at the range looking to shoot a match, drills, class, etc. and finding myself short one functioning optic and never short of tools or someone to borrow said tools from or unable to field-expedient a solution. I suppose that, there again, if you've trucked your full arsenal to the static range to shoot them all with your cousin that's in from Canada and has never shot a "machinegun"... maybe it still doesn't matter. Just shoot a different gun or, since they probably won't hit shit anyway, just rock on with the tube.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Holosun 407K/507K Notch

For those who have used them, how effective is the notch "rear sight" on these optics when paired with a proper height front sight?

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    For those who have used them, how effective is the notch "rear sight" on these optics when paired with a proper height front sight?

Works very well. And for most guns it can use the factory front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Works very well. And for most guns it can use the factory front sight.
    Thanks, much appreciated!

Lots of reasons to have them, less not to. I like co-witnessed BUIS with a rifle or handgun mounted RDS, as the BIS allow me to quickly check if my dot has shifted for any reason....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

USPSA CO shooters generally remove the irons from their guns to keep the window uncluttered and as large as possible. It's interesting that the advantages of BUIS do not outweigh this for most competitors, including me.

I'm trying "lower 1/4" with iron sights forward on my P-07, and it's close to not having irons at all--except when needed. The trade-off is that without a very long front blade, the POI is in the center of the window when the irons are aligned. That works surprisingly well, and I think I'll do this on future carry guns.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Several reasons, some already mentioned(assuming a defensive piece here):
    1. Policy
    2. An ability to stay engaged if the dot goes away(battery, electronics failure, etc. One side question for me here is: how many actually practice that? Erick Gelhaus has reported work on this, to include taping the front and back lens(indexing).
    3. I also like Wayne Dobbs’ response of pulling the malfunctioning sight and carrying on.
    4. Checking the dot on the glass.
    5. Related to #2 above, some gentlemen with extensive “real world” experience run them especially on carbines, though have never needed them. One even runs the irons flipped up to save time should they be necessary.

Put another way-why have a reserve chute...?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    USPSA CO shooters generally remove the irons from their guns to keep the window uncluttered and as large as possible. It's interesting that the advantages of BUIS do not outweigh this for most competitors, including me.
    As I slowly make my way out from under a rock in regards to MRDS on pistols, I had made two important points of discovery this past weekend when I fondled my son in-laws Sig P226 Legion RXP, which is equipped with a Romeo 1 Pro 6-MOA optic;

• My corrected vision renders the 6-MOA dot perfectly (a happy observation!)
    • The irons obscure more of the window area than I thought they would and certainly diminishes the unobstructed view through the optic (a not-so-happy observation)

Though not being set up as a competition gun, I too would prefer an "uncluttered" view through the optic. My current thinking is that the rear sight notch on the HE407K-GR X2 paired with an appropriate front sight would be unobtrusive yet reasonably effective should a need for BUIS arise.

Backup, plain and simple. Two summers ago I attended a one day rifle course. The night before I made sure everything was working and good to go. Day of the class my AimPoint died first thing in the morning. It just wouldn't turn on. Tried different batteries.... nothing! This was an old AimPoint and sooner or later things break and the night before was it's last night.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Rangemaster View Post
    Several reasons, some already mentioned(assuming a defensive piece here):
    1. Policy
    2. An ability to stay engaged if the dot goes away(battery, electronics failure, etc. One side question for me here is: how many actually practice that? Erick Gelhaus has reported work on this, to include taping the front and back lens(indexing).
    3. I also like Wayne Dobbs’ response of pulling the malfunctioning sight and carrying on.
    4. Checking the dot on the glass.
    5. Related to #2 above, some gentlemen with extensive “real world” experience run them especially on carbines, though have never needed them. One even runs the irons flipped up to save time should they be necessary.

Put another way-why have a reserve chute...?
    Re # 5 - many run only the front BUIS up on carbines, the idea being if the dot dies the front sight post can be used in conjunction with the optic window /body acting as a rear close up. The thought being at greater distance there would likely be time to flip up the rear BUIS.

Of course on a secondary sighting system doesn’t need to be irons, though it’s still the most practical choice on a pistol. A red optic and a green laser can be viable.

User Tag List