Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why BUIS?

Site Supporter

Why BUIS?

To avoid some bad thread drift on another topic, I thought I'd throw up a potential "burn the witch" question for @awp_101:

What are the reasons, excuses and justifications for having back up iron sights (BUIS) on optics equipped duty weapons (including carbines)?

Some thoughts about this were: fighting guns have always had iron sights, using iron sights to learn optics (a really bad, horrible training concept), use iron sights if optic fails (doesn't happen in extremis events) and the one I feel is the actual reason (and a good one) - if the optic dies, gets damaged, etc., we can remove it and keep the weapon in service.

Fire away.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 01-14-2022 at 01:14 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    To avoid some bad thread drift on another topic, I thought I'd throw up a potential "burn the witch" question for @awp_101:

What are the reasons, excuses and justifications for having back up iron sights (BUIS) on duty weapons (including carbines)?

Some thoughts about this were: fighting guns have always had iron sights, using iron sights to learn optics (a really bad, horrible training concept), use iron sights if optic fails (doesn't happen in extremis events) and the one I feel is the actual reason (and a good one) - if the optic dies, gets damaged, etc., we can remove it and keep the weapon in service.

Fire away.
    The reason I have them on my Rattler and carbines. But what do I know, I'm still carrying a 45acp 1911.

JW

Each morning I use the BUIS on my carry pistol to quickly verify that my RDS is still zeroed... That alone is reason enough for me to have them, aside from the already listed reasons.

I would be more curious to learn what possible advantage there is to Not having them. All I can think of is some initial cost savings if you need taller than OEM sights or a slightly cheaper direct mill cost.

IMO, the cost/benefit ratio favors BUIS for a working(not range toy)firearm. The size, weight, and expense seem reasonable compared to the potential consequences of having a firearm be effectively unusable due to an optics failure.

They’re an insurance policy for an unlikely event.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    The reason I have them on my Rattler and carbines. But what do I know, I'm still carrying a 45acp 1911.

JW
    This. Almost more of an "administrative backup" than actually expecting an optic to go down mid fight and then seamlessly transition to irons. We all do a lot more shooting for practice and living life than we do gunfighting.

Today's rational as I see it.

Pistols
    1. newer in the optics arena so there will be hesitancy.
    2. Many optic ready pistols come with compatible height sights.
    3. Just like Glock plastic sights are place holders for real sights your blaster will look weird with empty slots & holes.

Carbines
    1. Screw it I paid enough for this optic and mount. I'm not dumping more money into something I will never need/use.
    or
    2. You put them on your carbine so your buddies won't give you shit about not having them.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Why not?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

This seems like a question that shouldn't need to be asked.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Agency policy.

I’ve decided to push myself a little by going with RDS and no irons on my main carry guns - a G26, G43 (each with a RMRcc) and G27 (just sent to be milled for a RMR.) I’ve even gone the extra step to remove the rear dovetail and place the RDS back as far as possible. I do have three fallbacks, though - the simple one is adding a front sight and using the RDS as a big ghost ring with front index, the more involved one is adding a PMM IRDS and a front post, and the most extensive one is sending the slides back to Battle Werx for a dovetail forward of the RDS and refinishing.

I’m an analyst, so I tested my assumptions as best I could before committing to this. My method was removing the rear sight and battery from my G19 with RMR and first shooting it with just the front sight and unpowered dot, and then removing the front sight and shooting through the dark RMR. I found I was marginally faster and more accurate with the front sight, but not strikingly so. In both cases I was able to keep all hits onto a 6” target out to the maximum 10 yards I tested, an appropriate distance for my needs (not LE, concealed carry for self defense.)

I’m still comfortable with my choice.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 01-14-2022 at 02:36 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

User Tag List