Thread: Short Climbing Rope for Young Son

Short Climbing Rope for Young Son

Indoor project for my 5yr old son to enjoy:

I'd like to take a thick piece of rope, double it over, tie 3 or 4 large knots in it and hang it with a carabiner from the pull up bar (roughly 7.5ft) on my squat rack.

Problem is, I have no idea where to find the supplies (sure ain't my local Lowes) or any significant experience tying knots.

Can anyone help a PF'er out?

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post

I'd like to take a thick piece of rope, double it over, tie 3 or 4 large knots in it and hang it with a carabiner from the pull up bar (roughly 7.5ft) on my squat rack.

Problem is, I have no idea where to find the supplies (sure ain't my local Lowes) or any significant experience tying knots.

You mean something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Logest-Climbi...2182691&sr=8-7

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post

Do you have a Rural King? They should have 5/8" options that are natural or soft poly you buy by the foot.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Home Depot has 1" Manila for $1.65 a foot. Three quarter inch only $.80 a foot.

Figure 8 knots?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

If you’re looking for a cool DIY project you can use an old climbing rope to braid a nice thick “fast rope” style rope. I’ve done a handful for a local CrossFit/gymnastics gym and they wind up being quite a bit nicer and more comfortable than the Manila style ones you can purchase.

Lots of indoor climbing gyms will give away their old retired ropes too, so there’s the potential for doing it on the cheap. A single 60 meter rope will yield plenty of length for your project. I’d recommend using an 8 strand round braid. And for little kids, you can just tie overhand knots in the thick rope to make “ledges” they can easily hang or stand on.

There are a bunch of tutorials online. But here’s an example of what I’m talking about (no affiliation).

Site Supporter
    I've found West Marine to have a good selection of rope for different projects. I've bought lots of different ropes and rope related items from them over the past years and been pretty happy. They also let you buy by the foot, which helps.

I have piles of old line. If you can't find any PM me and I'll mail you some.

The difficult/expensive part would be the carabinier, you have to be careful because a lot of carabiniers big enough to fit over a pull up bar aren't rated for lifting or climbing.

If you're doubling the rope anyways I would just tie your first knot about a foot from the middle of the doubled portion and put that loop over the top of the pull up bar and pull the rest through the loop, choking it. Then you can just pull it off when he's done.

Overhand knots work fine for climbing. If you want to be able to reuse the rope for something else without fiddling with untying the knots for as long use figure 8.

Instead of rope, have you considered webbing that rock climbers use to build anchors? Double it up, tie knots where you want them…

https://www.backcountry.com/cypher-1...Igd2ViYmluZw==

Or failing that, REI usually sells climbing rope by the foot.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    If you’re looking for a cool DIY project you can use an old climbing rope to braid a nice thick “fast rope” style rope. I’ve done a handful for a local CrossFit/gymnastics gym and they wind up being quite a bit nicer and more comfortable than the Manila style ones you can purchase.

Lots of indoor climbing gyms will give away their old retired ropes too, so there’s the potential for doing it on the cheap. A single 60 meter rope will yield plenty of length for your project. I’d recommend using an 8 strand round braid. And for little kids, you can just tie overhand knots in the thick rope to make “ledges” they can easily hang or stand on.

There are a bunch of tutorials online. But here’s an example of what I’m talking about (no affiliation).

That is so cool! I want one.

User Tag List