Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heinie Straight 8 sights - Combat hold , Center hold, 6 o’clock?

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I'm not arguing with you Dan, or criticizing you in any way, but there are people in some occupations who want the rear night sights subdued a bit. I've had some pistols with night sights that were so bright that I could clearly make out my facial features in a mirror across a dark room, call it ten yards or so. That's too much backlighting for my comfort. I asked a friend about the situation and he told me to use a black Magic Marker to subdue the rear sights a bit. He's one of those "well experienced" types, and his recommendation worked perfectly for my tastes. The two rear dots seemed to be the primary offenders in my situation. Since then, I've noticed that some sight manufacturers seem to subdue the rear sights a bit, and my experience seemed to demonstrate why that may be. A decently bright front sight seems to be a comfort though, and offers contrast to subdued rears.
    The critical remarks regarding MY Heinies should have been more specific - both vials/sights are too dim to see in darkened states where I can't see the weapon. As such their usefulness in dim light situations are less than I find with fiber optic sights. To be fair, I had to send the slide off to have the dovetail cut for the front sight so I don't know how long the Heinies may have been in stock at the gunsmith's shop. On the other hand, MY Heinies aren't as bright as other older night sights I have or have used.

I'm aware that some night sights might be considered too bright - I've indexed on officers in completely dark environments during training by their luminous watch faces or night sights while in the holster, from behind and reflected off eyewear. In reality, I'm not sure how much that impacts the everyday user who 1) probably won't be fighting in a black box; 2) who's weapon is concealed; and 3) probably, absent TEOTWAWEKI, won't/shouldn't be hunting people on the street in situations where they have the opportunity to get behind you.

I get that there are folks - such as LE and .mil (BTDT) - who need to operate in situations where being front lit or tracked from the rear by night sights could be fatal. But, in my present circumstances, that really isn't a concern.

Anyways, enough off topic rambling on my part.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Dan- Even so, every product needs to perform to your specific situation, and your needs or they're worthless. Or worse. If Straight 8s don't fill your needs, then at least there are plenty of alternatives. The downside is the money you already have invested is something that won't work for you.

You should see my bag of P320 front and rear sights. I must have bought four or five sets to get to something that will (hopefully) work properly with my GGP slide. The first set was too high, and blocked half of the RMR. The next set was better. but still ate up too much of the window. The third set was better, but the point of impact was hopelessly low. And so on, and so forth.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List