Page 77 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987 ... LastLast

Thread: Holosun EPS & EPS Carry - Enclosed 407K/507K

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Rich - where did you end up sourcing the EPS-C?
    https://midwestoptics.net/

Tip o' the ballcap to a Supporting Member here for the suggestion. They received my order Sunday night and I got a tracking number today. Might want to look at the "send me an email price" link on their web site...

Sorry if I missed this somewhere else, couldn't find it.

Which Sig p365 XL Xray sights match up well with the EPS Carry for a low-witness (say, lower 1/4 or 1/5 of Window)?

I need to replace some suppressor height sights that came with a Sig P365 XL, not sure whether to get the #6 front and #6 rear, or #8 and #8, or some other combo.

I’m ashamed to say I haven’t figured out a new front sight height for my XL. Mine uses the notch on the EPS Carry for backup.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Re front sight height with EPS Carry on a P365XL, I have an EPS Carry MRS inbound I plan to put on my spare XL slide, so I'll need to work this out soon myself. Be interested in what you guys end up with.

A few months ago I did a thought experiment on this, but with a 407k. Obviously the deck height of the optic "ears" at the rear of the optic body are going to be a bit taller than the EPS Carry. For what it's worth though, below is the math I ended up using. I'll do the same thing when my EPS gets here and update this, but perhaps there's something here someone can use:

Some measurements of the two slides I have. Slide 1 is a P365XL slide I bought as part of an X-change kit, to use with my Macro grip for USPSA CO. It has a 407k on it. Slide 2 is the slide that came with my P365X. It has the original irons (plate version), front and rear. The sights on my slides are listed as "XRAY 3" on the Box. My P365X S/N is 66B71xxxx, born on date October 2021. I bought the X-Change kit late last year, before they were discontinued.

Slide 1 (P365XL w optic)

Front Sight height, top, to top of slide: 0.173"
    Rear "Sight" height, slide to bottom of vestigial notch on Holosun 407k: 0.185"

Slide 2 (P365X w XRAY 3s)

Front Sight height, top, to top of slide: 0.172"
    Rear Sight height, slide to bottom of XRAY3 sight notch: 0.100"

So the rear of the XL slide with the optic is kicked up 0.085" over the XRAY 3, from the optic body. With a sight radius of 5.5" (P365XL), 0.085" in elevation error would translate to a theoretical elevation error of 3.9", high, at 7 yards. In other words the XL "irons" I have should shoot high, by almost half my 8" circle "nipple to nipple" chest target zone, at typical self-defense distance of 21', if my dot fails.

Preserving the rear/front delta of the X slide irons for the optic slide, you'd have to have a front sight taller than the optic, by the same amount the irons are. You can figure out how much as follows:

How tall is the front iron over the rear iron? 0.172 - 0.100 = 0.072.

Add that delta, to the optic rear body height, to determine equivalent front sight height needed with a 407k: 0.185 + 0.072 = 0.257"

So the math predicts the "correct" front sight height for a P365XL slide with a Holosun 407k is 0.257".

My guess is that since the EPS Carry deck height is a bit less than the 407k, the front sight height needed is going to be a bit less, too, i.e. by the difference in the deck height of the two optics (407k v. EPS Carry).

At least from Sig, these are the options available. #5 is as tall as they come, so if that isn't tall enough, looks like you'd need to go aftermarket.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-15 07-22-44.png
Views: 566
Size:  66.2 KB

I'd be curious if anyone knows the dimensions of those new "tall" sights Sig has on the new plate-less slides they are coming with these days.

https://www.sigsauer.com/xray3-sight...uper-tall.html

EDIT Found an answer buried in a customer CS question from 2020:

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-15 07-37-59.png
Views: 575
Size:  17.3 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 06-15-2023 at 06:38 AM.

I have a low tech method for calculating front sight heights on RDS pistols.

1) sight in pistol RDS
    2) using a digital micrometer, determine front sight height to cowitness with dot

I know this is totally the wrong way, but hey - it’s been working so far.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I'm going to try to follow @stomridertx and try this amazon DPP plate… I'll try and take some pictures of the MOS gun with the stock glock sights just for comparison on how low this will hopefully sit.

Quote Originally Posted by masternave View Post
    I'm going to try to follow @stomridertx and try this amazon DPP plate… I'll try and take some pictures of the MOS gun with the stock glock sights just for comparison on how low this will hopefully sit.
    I'm hoping a high round count shooter will run a gun with one hard and report back. Ideally Aaron Cowan, but it would be nice for the initial positive impression of the plates to be vetted for real. I've had zero issues and it's my favorite mount right now. It does kind of suck that China has made another inroad in milling titanium cheaper than we can (and doing it with precision), but that compromise is already made with the actual optic.

Installed the new EPS Carry MRS on my spare XL slide today. I skipped the RMSc plate and used McMaster Carr T10 M3-0.5x10mm Torx Plus Flat head, as recommended up thread.

Adding the new deck height measurement as Slide 3:

Slide 1 (P365XL w 407k)

Rear "Sight" height, slide to bottom of vestigial notch on Holosun 407k: 0.185"

Slide 2 (P365X w XRAY 3s)

Front Sight height, top, to top of slide: 0.172"
    Rear Sight height, slide to bottom of XRAY3 sight notch: 0.100"

Slide 3 (P365XL w EPS Carry MRS)

Rear "Sight" height, slide to bottom of vestigial notch on Holosun EPS Carry: 0.150"

Again, preserving the rear/front delta of the X slide irons for the EPS Carry:

How tall is the front iron over the rear iron? 0.172 - 0.100 = 0.072.

Add that delta, to the optic rear body height, to determine equivalent front sight height needed with a EPS Carry: 0.150 + 0.072 = 0.222"

EDIT: I'm not sure about that table I posted; I just measured a take off XRAY3 at 0.165". It's stamped "6" and came off my P365XL. I'll have to go and check on that.

EDIT2: Ok, I think I was referencing the wrong point for 0.230/0.165. Here's a drawing I found to show where 0.230" can be measured; it's down to inside the dovetail, apparently. Learn something new every day. Author of the drawing is user "Willard", it dates from about 2019.

Name:  Screenshot from 2023-06-15 17-37-46.png
Views: 532
Size:  46.9 KB
    Last edited by RJ; 06-15-2023 at 04:39 PM.

Argh, forgot the glamour photo.

Name:  IMG_2754.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  102.6 KB

Testing new Holosuns

Seems like folks say that they either last forever or bite the dust fast.

Do we have a rough idea of what things you should test on a new carry optic to "find the bad QC" problems before committing to it as an EDC?

Things I've seen suggested in the thread:

- submersing in water overnight
    - shooting 1-2k rounds mounted

Anything else that the new Holosun owner should be looking for to find the failures fast?

User Tag List