Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Armory Hellion (Rebranded HS Produkt VHS2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Seems like it could fill a LE squad car role, perhaps?
    So can an AR15 for half the price.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I played with one today....

1. The trigger is nowhere near as bad as advertised. It is better than the Tavor, Fs2000, Steyr Aug, etc. Probably inline with the Tavor-7. Longish take-up and reset. But there is a clear break. It shouldn't interfere with your trigger pull unless you only shoot .22 bullseye guns.

2. The LOP is on the long side. I am as perplexed as everyone else as to why they added an adjustment. They should have ditched that. It isn't unworkable, but odd.

3. The safety is odd, but again, not unworkable. It reminds me of the safety on an evo but the angle might help it from landing on your knuckle like most ambi selectors.

4. The plastic quality is nice. Nicer than a Bren or Tavor. It looks about like something from HK or FN in fit and finish.

5. The ambi charging handle is awesome.

6. Like most bullpups the weight is distributed nicely. Yes it is "heavy" on the scale but it can be easily held by the grip unsupported. The crys about weight are, again, exaggerated (probably by people who think about rifles only in terms of how much like their AR-15 they are).

7. The sights are fantastic. They are push button steel and have simple, obvious adjustments. Class leading BUIS.

It is a cool piece and worth a look if you like unusual military weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by mrozowjj View Post
    The more I look at this thing the less I want one.

As someone pointed out this is a more expensive and less proven battle rifle than either the X95 or the Aug. I mean the Aug has 40 years of service history with the only major complaints I know about being that the trigger is kind of bad but it at least can be improved somewhat.
    The AUG is extremely proven; I suspect in 3rd place to the AR/AK in terms of service history and combat employment of an assault rifle.

The X95...I'm not actually sure is that combat proven? The last major infantry operations I can recall Israel being in was the Invasion of Lebanon in 2006, and then Operation Cast Lead in Gaza in 2008. Photos from both almost exclusivly show M16/M4's. And then, the initial Israeli Tavors were the 'SAR' model, not the new X95.

The VHS-2 is actually surprisingly combat tested; it was one of the main weapons used by the Iraqi army in fight against ISIS:

The VHS-2 bullpup rifle manufactured by Croatia’s HS Produkt became one of the most frequently seen rifles during the Iraqi counter-offensives against ISIS during 2015-17. The rifle regularly appeared in news reports and social media posts and became somewhat synonymous with the fighting for Fallujah and Mosul.

https://silahreport.com/2022/01/15/t...vhs-2-in-iraq/

The VHS-2 was also 2nd place in the French Army Rifle Trials, losing out narrowly to the 416. As I recall it lost out due to some tiny o-ring or other part failing in the VHS-2 after 20kish rounds, so it scored worse in long term durability then the 416 for that reason.

I'm not saying the VHS-2 is better then the X95, as I've never held one much less shot one, but its got a decent pedigree behind it.

Last post was back in March... Anyone have additional real-world experiences they'd care to share? Interested in longer-term usage, performance, issues, etc.

John Farnam is using this rifle there are several quips about it at his website.

www.defense-training.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    John Farnam is using this rifle there are several quips about it at his website.

www.defense-training.com
    For perspective, John Farnham is always running weird, non mainstream rifles and like Hickock45, he rarely has anything critical to say about them.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    For perspective, John Farnham is always running weird, non mainstream rifles and like Hickock45, he rarely has anything critical to say about them.
    Yes. He used to be all over the Robinson Stoner 63 copy too, back when I still cared about such things.

He also overuses exclamation points, but that's another issue.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Yes. He used to be all over the Robinson Stoner 63 copy too, back when I still cared about such things.

He also overuses exclamation points, but that's another issue.
    The point is without any cons to balance, the pros, their feedback is worthless in terms of whether the gun is (or is not) any good.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The point is without any cons to balance, the pros, their feedback is worthless in terms of whether the gun is (or is not) any good.
    Also in the case of the Robinson the gun was only made in very small numbers and never saw service with ANY agencies that I am aware make his one anecdotal experience pretty much worthless.

Until a gun has been broadly issued to thousands of people (many with room temperature IQs) I'm not terribly interested in it for anything other than a range toy or exclusively a hunting gun.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I've been thinking about picking one up but at $1800 I'm not about to fork over all that in cash. Would anyone consider trading a Colt 6721 towards one of these VHSs? Assuming the 6721 was not your only AR?

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

User Tag List