Thread: Beretta 92/M9A1 frame accessory rail compatibility issue with TLR-8

Beretta 92/M9A1 frame accessory rail compatibility issue with TLR-8

When attaching the TLR-8AG to my LTT Elite Centurion, I found that the light does not clamp evenly and throws the laser significantly to the right. It appears to apply clamping force too far back on the rail to apply even clamping force. I used the Streamlight recommended 1913-1 key (per their compatibility list, M9A1 frames use this key) which barely allows the light to clamp at all. The 1913-2 key looks like it clamps more evenly, but still throws the laser to the right slightly. It doesn't not clamp entirely straight until you offset it far away from the trigger guard with a 1913-3 key or UNIV-2. The WC Centurion and Brigadier Tactical frames seem to have the rail slot cut further back towards the trigger guard and allows normal clamping with the specified 1913-1 key.

Does anyone else have a problem mounting TLR-7/8 to the M9A1 style frames?

It seems to me this stuff is often a bit of a pain. I have a Crimson Trace light laser combination that I use on my M9A1 and I ended up JBWelding an extension onto the right side switch so I could reach it w/ my trigger finger. I tried all the different keys and any that mounted it further back had it interfering w/ the curved section at the transition of the trigger guard and rail. I could have ground a bit of aluminum off the gun but modded the light instead.

@FreedomFries

I’ve had this exact issue. The problem is the rear of the light clamp doesn’t correctly interface with the pistol’s rail. In other words beretta cut the rail groove too short, so during tightening the light pulls to the side.

Easy fix: on the streamlight where the aluminum clamp engages the pistol rail, just dremel off the edge that gets in the way. The anodizing gets removed but it’s only visibly on inside of the light. It’s not visible from the outside (when mounted) and it’s not actually dremeling the light itself, just the clamp piece. If needed I can post a photo but it should be fairly obvious.

I carry an M9A1 with TLR-7 and found this was the only fix to allow to ride as rearward (towards trigger guard) without canting way off to the right. The other solution is to use a rail key that pushes the light farther forward but that’s a lame fix and doesn’t work correctly w my JMCK light-bearing AIWB holster.

Photo attached. Looks ugly but when mounted it’s unnoticeable. The TLR7 still mounts fine to other pistols.

Name:  75514F20-E577-418F-8699-C12F3DD0D73E.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  12.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Squib308 View Post
    Photo attached. Looks ugly but when mounted it’s unnoticeable. The TLR7 still mounts fine to other pistols.

Name:  75514F20-E577-418F-8699-C12F3DD0D73E.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  12.6 KB
    Thanks for sharing. I may have to make the modification to the light if I want to clamp it to anything other than the Wilson Combat Berettas. I guess I'm not the only one with this problem.

User Tag List