Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig is releasing their NGSW Entrant (MCX-SPEAR)

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch View Post
    It’s $8k because the people paying $8k for it are not using their own money.
    I would be willing to be the house that the people paying for it with other peoples money are not paying $8k per unit.

Also when are we actually going to see .277 Fury, it was one of the things that interested me in the Sig Cross but it seems to have become mythical at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Anyone have the over/under on how long the lawsuits brought by the losers will drag on?
    I don't think very long unless the Army did something profoundly stupid in the project. Glock's challenge went nowhere.

We're already down to two contenders anyway: SIG and TrueVelocity/LoneStar Future Weapons. By most accounts Textron has been out since November, 2021.

A point about the cost is that you can't shoot 8 factory Colts at the same time.

This might be something when teamed up with that extra-high-pressure bi-metal .277 Fury cases. It might (I'm not in any kind of a position to know) offer external ballistics superior to even 6.5 Creedmoor, and the platform itself might (same caveat) be more capable of operating at higher pressures than other large-frame AR systems. If the gun and ammo really do work as advertised, it could be the best thing going for long-range gas guns, assuming anyone can afford to train with it in its full-up guise.
    Last edited by Bergeron; 01-14-2022 at 02:09 PM.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    A point about the cost is that you can't shoot 8 factory Colts at the same time.

This might be something when teamed up with that extra-high-pressure bi-metal .277 Fury cases. It might (I'm not in any kind of a position to know" offer external ballistics superior to even 6.5 Creedmoor, and the platform itself might (same caveat) be more capable of operating at higher pressures than other large-frame AR systems. If the gun and ammo really do work as advertised, it could be the best thing going for long-range gas guns, assuming anyone can afford to train with it in its full-up guise.
    I think the rifle can take it. SAAMI spec on .277 Fury is max pressure of 80,000 psi. Plus, SIG's entrant has the shortest barrel of any of the three (now down to two) finalists, and all designs have to meet the same velocity goals for the provided 6.8mm projectiles.

I guess I'm a curious how this pans out from an ammunition perspective.

I get the requirement to defeat near peer body armor. But it comes at a cost of decreased capacity, and increased recoil and wear - those are some hefty pressures.

The advantage of the LSAT Cased telescoped ammunition was weight savings, which the TV offering has at least.

LSAT has 5.56, 7.62 and 6.5 options; I am curious if the 6.8 "magnum" requirement was a bridge too far.

I would be surprised if any NSGW cartridge would replace 5.56 for the vast majority of the Army.

The current plan (for what that's worth) is to issue the NGSW carbine and MG to combat specialties only. Others would keep their M4s.

This reminds me of SIG selling the M17 'Commemorative' at a high markup. At 13.7" and a can, the MCX-SPEAR is also a two stamp package.

I imagine a 16" 7.62mm model (without the suppressor) will follow, and have broader appeal considering the price of the hybrid ammunition and the NFA complications. Undoubtedly if they win the contract we'll see more models.

Still, look forward to Garand Thumb beating the snot out of one.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Still, look forward to Garand Thumb beating the snot out of one.
    That guys YouTube comments section is out of control.

I would be a sucker (and a broke one at that, lol) for a 16" ".277 Fury" SPEAR (God, the marketing names, lololol).

I get the feeling that owning it would be a similar experience as when I had a .35 Whelen back in broke college days: Save up the money and ammo until there's finally enough for a substantial range trip. Who knows, maybe Sig could offer to sell loaded 20-round magazines for $100?
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I like what True Velocity is doing with ammunition, but I can't see the US military going bullpup.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List