Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sig is releasing their NGSW Entrant (MCX-SPEAR)

I shot a 13 inch MCX SPEAR in .308 today. Seemed ok but it sure was loud.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That's why there are suppressors.

I really enjoyed shooting the 13 and 16 inch spears. They're relatively light recoiling and they seemed really reliable throughout the day (Sig Freedom day event).

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    That's why there are suppressors.

I really enjoyed shooting the 13 and 16 inch spears. They're relatively light recoiling and they seemed really reliable throughout the day (Sig Freedom day event).
    The 13 seems so close in overall length to the 16, I am not sure it is worth the paperwork/loss of velocity over the 16?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What is the intended role of a 13" 308 rifle?
    What are the advantages over a 5.56 a with a 16" barrel that is much lighter and has about the same OAL?

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    What is the intended role of a 13" 308 rifle?
    What are the advantages over a 5.56 a with a 16" barrel that is much lighter and has about the same OAL?
    The 13 inch barrel is a carry over from the military entry chambered in .277 fury, or their 6.8X51 military spec load. It makes more sense in that length with that cartridge.

George, it really comes down to what you want to do with the rifle.

For most realistic and practical applications of this rifle, a 16 inch barrel is going to serve you very well. Unless you need or want the 13, I would go with the 16.

Up until a decade ago, a sub-16 inch .308 made no sense. Going less than 16” effectively turned the gun’s terminal performance into a glorified, albeit very loud, 7.62x39 with a very unpleasant recoil. Fast forward to the modern era and we have some .308 loads that perform quite well out to 400 meters or so (130 gr SOST, 110 grain Barnes TAC-TX, etc). However, you pay for it as these rounds aren’t cheap or readily available, and you have to pay for an SBR stamp.

In addition, a sub-16” .308 really needs to be suppressed for optimal shooting pleasure. However, read the fine print on your suppressor as not all of them are rated for barrels less than 16” in .308.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I see the value of a semi auto .308 for two things:

Hunting deer where there are bears around. As a general purpose rifle in camp where you can use it for a bunch of things from animal defense, to following up a wounded animal, to people defense. Sixteen probably works better for me.

The one thing the 308 has is barrier penetration, you can chew up a car or cinder blocks even with a short barrel. That's why the SAS used the G3K with a 12.4" barrel back in the time. But that's a niche use.

In any case, the SCAR-H also has a 13" version. I would like to hear from those who know what is the intended role and advantages of the 7.62x51 ammo vs a doble/triple tap with 5.56.

Sure you can put a suppressor on a 13" 308 rifle, but then it becomes longer again, heavier and more expensive, and the blast wears the suppressor fast.

The 13" SCAR barrel is generally the "I'm gonna use a can" barrel. The longer barrels are too unwieldy with the 7.62 can.

The amount of flash and blast with a bare 13" barrel is kind of silly.

User Tag List