Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Combat Launches P365 Grip Modules

Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    I asked on one of their posts on IG if they had any plans to release a larger manual safety. Kind of a shot in the dark but sometimes companies will respond there. Langdon tactical releasing some info in the comments of an IG post comes to mind.

No response though.
    I asked a couple of specialty manufacturers about this a few months ago and got the email equivalent of them staring at me like I had a tree growing from my forehead. To me, the XL straddles the line between a subcompact and a smallish primary holster pistol - similar to a G48. Having a slightly more prominent manual safety would aid that primary role.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Came home from a road trip last night to find mine waiting for me. Maybe I'm a tool, but how the actual fuck to you "install the supplied magazine catch, spring, and lock?"

I've been like a monkey f***ing a football all morning with this thing...

1:05".

Cliff's:

Remove the mag catch, teeny spring, and doohickey from plastic bag.

Place teeny spring in the "channel" of the mag catch.

Align mag catch with hole, press through grip body, retaining catch with opposite thumb from inside the grip, so that you don't drop the fricken' teeny spring (this is bad, ask me how I know).

Press the mag catch all the way, like you are releasing a mag. Look at the other end protruding through the grip, carefully and as fast as you can because by this point you are pressing for all you are worth, drop in the doohicky into the mag catch.

Gently release pressure on the mag catch.

You should be done at this point.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I asked a couple of specialty manufacturers about this a few months ago and got the email equivalent of them staring at me like I had a tree growing from my forehead. To me, the XL straddles the line between a subcompact and a smallish primary holster pistol - similar to a G48. Having a slightly more prominent manual safety would aid that primary role.
    I asked GGI this same question regarding P320 safeties, their answer was that the safety is a MIM part and thus milling it would be prohibitively expensive and extremely difficult.

I haven’t compared p320/365 safeties side by side, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the reasoning was similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hstanton1 View Post
    I asked GGI this same question regarding P320 safeties, their answer was that the safety is a MIM part and thus milling it would be prohibitively expensive and extremely difficult.

I haven’t compared p320/365 safeties side by side, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the reasoning was similar.
    That makes perfect sense, although I think the reactions I was getting were more utility based. We may have to hope SIG develops one for their inevitable Emperor Penguin Warrior versions.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Now, if we can just get Wilson to offer a slightly larger manual safety we’d be cooking with gas.
    Preach. It took time to get consistent enough with that tiny safety to feel comfortable carrying it. A wider safety would be a significant improvement.

their inevitable Emperor Penguin Warrior versions.
    Ha!

Needed to do more than just like this.

Beaver tail is too long and big. Going to jab in the gut AIWB. But we gotta make it point, look and feel like 1911 if it says Wilson Combat on it

Site Supporter
    I'm wanna try the WC module, but damn...
    it's -10 outside, better put a log on the fire and wait a bit.

I just got home from SHOT last night and found the Wilson Combat box at the front door. I really like how it feels in the hand so far. Nice texture and shape.

Received my WC Grip Module for my P365X late Thursday. I installed it yesterday and took it to the range today.

BLUF

The grip feel, both in dry practice and live fire, is much more solid and “squeezable”, than OEM. I seem to shoot it objectively better. My dry draws are worse by about 0.3”, which is either my make-shift holster or I just suck (or both.) For CCW, the thicker grip of the WC module seems to offer less room for my hands, at least for me, AIWB.

I like it, a lot.

Physical

Install was straightforward. I followed the WC video. I ordered the Tungsten Weight kit. These are three short rods which fit (loosely) into three slots milled into the grip. I used a schmear of Loctite silicone on the tungsten rods and slid them into place.

Name:  IMG_0389.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  101.8 KB

Pro-tip: After you install the rods, wipe down any excess silicone from the inner part of the grip when you are done. I had to remove it by hand after it dried. Not a huge issue, but would have been easier if I’d noticed it and wiped it off while it was wet.

By itself, the Sig grip module weighs 44 g / 1.55 oz;, the WC module is 52 g / 1.83 oz. The three tungsten rods total 42 g / 1.5 oz. The WC grip module, with tungsten weights in place, weighs 94 g / 3.32 oz. Gun weights before and after are:

P365X with Holosun 407k and OEM grip module, complete, no mag: 472 g / 16.65 oz.

P365X with Holosun 407k and WC grip module, complete, no mag: 523 g / 18.45 oz.

An interesting find was this tapered / sloped area, molded into the inner/rear of the magwell. It appears to be an to aid magazine insertion. The standard grip, shown right in this picture, has no magwell taper. A nice touch.

Name:  IMG_0007n.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  41.8 KB

The pistol clicks in perfectly in my JM CK P365XL shell I’m still using.

Functional

The new grip “feels good in the hand” as they say. It’s not so much the dimensions as it is the shape which is different. Thicker in certain places, with more to hang on to (this is hard to describe). It reminds me very much of a HK VP9sk, with M grip inserts: kinda round, but not quite. Not blocky at all, which the Sig grip sometimes feels to me.

The WC front and back strap texturing is much, much more aggressive than stock. The side panels are about the same. I like the fact the area where I want grip (front and back) has the rough texture, and the area I don’t want it on (sides) doesn’t.

I did my normal Dry Practice (Concealed) timed routine with the new grip in place this morning. For this segment of my Performance Journal, I record my times against the Gabe White Performance Standards: full size USPSA target A zone and 4” white circle, at 7 yards. I do all four drills (Bill Drill, F2S, Immediate Incapacitate, 4 body 2 head) from concealed, meaning normal go-to-Wal-Mart outfit of T-shirt and shorts. To count for a valid “par”, I have to have the last trigger press occur with the dot in the scoring zone, before the par beep on my AMG Timer. Results were:

...and they say timers don't lie...
    Name:  shot-timer-results.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  47.6 KB

Observations:

1) I do suck

2) I didn’t find the slight enlargement of the WC beavertail to have any noticeable affect walking, sitting, driving the truck, etc. while wearing concealed in my Dry Practice area, as compared to the original grip. And

3) My par times with the WC grip were about 0.3’ slower than the last time I ran the P365, in November.

Reasons for the timing(s) probably include:

1) See Point one

2) I am finding the make-shift leveraged holster/PTD less than ideal; probably time to order the JM CK AIWB 2.5 like I should have done. In particular it’s like there’s not enough room for my hands (Size M).

Thinking about it, this is probably more to do with the fact I’m trying to work with a micro-sized pistol. My G19 by comparison is much, much easier to get a grip on (well, duh, Rich).

3) The WC grip, while thicker, and “feels” better, also seems to be harder to find/locate my master grip on, as compared to the thinner OEM grip. There’s just more room to put my fingers in, with the original grip. I wasn’t expecting that, at all.

Operational

I took it to my local square range today. Ammo was Federal AE 124 FMJ.

Scores were:

10 rounds on a B-8 at 25 yards, standing two hand unsupported, slow fire: 83-1X, with 10/10 on paper. Group seemed a bit high, maybe 3”. (Previous Best: 78-0X). 10 rounds on a B-8 at 10 yards in 10 seconds (aka The Test): 97-3X. (Previous Best: 92-1X). 10 rounds Find Your Level at level 1, 5 yards: Clean, 10/10 (Previous Best: 8/10)

All of these scores are personal bests for me with the P365X.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-22-2022 at 11:27 AM.

User Tag List