Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gen 5 Glock 19 Tritium Irons

Gen 5 Glock 19 Tritium Irons

I'm looking at picking up a Gen 5 Glock 19 non-MOS pistol. I already have a Gen 5 MOS 19 and a Gen 5 MOS 45. Both wear RMR's via FCD plates and Heinie MOS sights. I keep getting asked to teach beginners (friends, family, and extendeds mostly) and for that space I'd prefer to have an iron-sighted G19. Secondary role for this pistol would be for my wife's disposal if I'm out of town and/or she wishes to carry. She does not currently carry regularly. Final role would be if for some reason I ever wanted to specifically carry something without a dot.

Anyway, with all that in mind, I'm looking for sight recommendations. As I do a lot of 25yd shooting, I'm pretty particular about the sights being regulated to hit POA=POI with tips of blades. For this reason I consider the Dawson Adjustables; both for the ability to fine tune them to different loads as well as their Perfect Impact guarantee. However, with the potential for carry, those rears are pretty large and sharp. Also I think the simpler the better for a pistol of this kind. In the past I've had several sets of different Ameriglo sights on various Gen 5 Glocks to include a pair of 19's. I liked them and had figured out the height formula to get them to hit center, but discovered 2 flaws:
    1. They are very low to the slide and therefore somewhat difficult to pick up on a draw stroke
    2. I had an Ameriglo rear walk out of the dovetail in a Gabe class last September and since then I want a rear sight with a set-screw

Ideally the sights would have a tritium front, .125 wide with a high-viz ring ala Trijicon HD's with non-outlined tritium vials in the rear similar to what I had with this Ameriglo set:

Lack of outline isn't necessarily a deal-breaker though and neither is something like a "Straight Eight" sight picture with a single tritium vial under the rear sight notch. I would prefer to have the option for rear-sight manipulations. Currently I see options from Warren, Heinie, and Wilson Combat (the Vickers sights) that all tickle my funny bone. My primary concern is that they hit where I want them to.

My Heinie MOS sights are supposed to hit "directly behind the front sight." Well, that's not the case. At 25yds with a 6:00 hold on the black of a B8 they still hit up in the 8 ring. I brought Heinie's attention to it via email and while they did at least respond, it was nothing helpful.

Does anyone have experience they could share specifically with irons on Gen 5 Glocks and what is working for a good POA=POI?

thanks!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH556 View Post
    I'm looking at picking up a Gen 5 Glock 19 non-MOS pistol. I already have a Gen 5 MOS 19 and a Gen 5 MOS 45. Both wear RMR's via FCD plates and Heinie MOS sights. I keep getting asked to teach beginners (friends, family, and extendeds mostly) and for that space I'd prefer to have an iron-sighted G19. Secondary role for this pistol would be for my wife's disposal if I'm out of town and/or she wishes to carry. She does not currently carry regularly. Final role would be if for some reason I ever wanted to specifically carry something without a dot.

Anyway, with all that in mind, I'm looking for sight recommendations. As I do a lot of 25yd shooting, I'm pretty particular about the sights being regulated to hit POA=POI with tips of blades. For this reason I consider the Dawson Adjustables; both for the ability to fine tune them to different loads as well as their Perfect Impact guarantee. However, with the potential for carry, those rears are pretty large and sharp. Also I think the simpler the better for a pistol of this kind. In the past I've had several sets of different Ameriglo sights on various Gen 5 Glocks to include a pair of 19's. I liked them and had figured out the height formula to get them to hit center, but discovered 2 flaws:
    1. They are very low to the slide and therefore somewhat difficult to pick up on a draw stroke
    2. I had an Ameriglo rear walk out of the dovetail in a Gabe class last September and since then I want a rear sight with a set-screw

Ideally the sights would have a tritium front, .125 wide with a high-viz ring ala Trijicon HD's with non-outlined tritium vials in the rear similar to what I had with this Ameriglo set:

Lack of outline isn't necessarily a deal-breaker though and neither is something like a "Straight Eight" sight picture with a single tritium vial under the rear sight notch. I would prefer to have the option for rear-sight manipulations. Currently I see options from Warren, Heinie, and Wilson Combat (the Vickers sights) that all tickle my funny bone. My primary concern is that they hit where I want them to.

My Heinie MOS sights are supposed to hit "directly behind the front sight." Well, that's not the case. At 25yds with a 6:00 hold on the black of a B8 they still hit up in the 8 ring. I brought Heinie's attention to it via email and while they did at least respond, it was nothing helpful.

Does anyone have experience they could share specifically with irons on Gen 5 Glocks and what is working for a good POA=POI?

thanks!
    For the type of accuracy you were looking at at 25 yards, due to slight variation from gun to gun and variation with different weight and velocity bullets There isn’t any one size fits all solution that will have perfect B-8 10 ring POI.

The best option would be a set of the Dawson fix sites, such as the chargers and if the POA is off for elevation use their custom height front sight guarantee. Just be aware that if they need to do a custom height tritium front sight for you it may take some time.

It might be easier to get the adjustables end simply knock off the sharp edges and hit them with a touch up pen.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The best option would be a set of the Dawson fix sites, such as the chargers and if the POA is off for elevation use their custom height front sight guarantee. Just be aware that if they need to do a custom height tritium front sight for you it may take some time.
    This would be my first try - there's a set of tritium Chargers on our PPQ, and having multiple height options to get everything dialed was a huge plus. Dawson is also super helpful.

You end up with no outline rear vials and a front vial with a small white outline. If that's not what you're looking for there should be ways to make the front sight of this set orange.

That and with the way Glock front sights (and Walthers) work, this is pretty painless even if you have to try more than one front sight.

here is my qual with my issued Gen 5 with Ameriglo Orange Front non ringed tritium rear (purchased that way)

It was with 147 Speer Lawman and 5 shots were from 25 yards, 10 shots were from 15 yards. the rest were 7 and on in.

I will admit this could have been cleaned up considerably as my main focus lately is 1911 .45.

this was last year's qual; I get to do it again in March.

this is just a reference as some of the times up close made me shoot fast and not necessarily aiming at the orange dot.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 01-12-2022 at 05:34 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Edit: Never mind, you mentioned you didn’t want Ameriglo.

Red Loctite in the rear dovetail will probably be stronger than any setscrew.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have a Dawson adjustable rear and a FO front I haven’t used in years. PM me an address and I’ll send it to you. If you like it, keep it. If not, send it back. No charge.

Quote Originally Posted by davisj View Post
    I have a Dawson adjustable rear and a FO front I haven’t used in years. PM me an address and I’ll send it to you. If you like it, keep it. If not, send it back. No charge.
    Thanks for the offer, seriously, but I've had Dawson adjustables recently enough to know that's probably not the path I want to go here. Thanks again for your generous offer though!
    Food Court Apprentice

I'm thinking the move is to go with an MOS gun to future-proof the purchase a bit and then the non-co-witness Dawson MOS Tritium sights. That way I can make use of their Perfect Impact guarantee to get them to hit where I want.
    Food Court Apprentice

Smack dab in the middle of flyover country
    I am running the Heinies on both of my mos guns and on my last remaining iron sighted pistol ( gen 4 G19) I am still running the Heinie Straight Eights Ive run for more then a decade. Couple of drops of a paint blend I mixed way back make the front scream. Lot to be said for consistency over multi “ platforms” .
    Actually I think it was you that pushed me over the edge to put the Heinies on my MOS guns…Thanks!
    Name:  D099BF89-C277-4DC1-BB57-4C8873449A31.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  22.7 KB
    Name:  67C61A66-545D-444E-AEF6-FDFE0E6EA17E.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  22.8 KB

Edit: Sorry I should have read your entire post before responding…carry on.
    Last edited by CHNEAL; 01-13-2022 at 08:19 AM.

User Tag List