Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colt Detective Special Questions

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Damn...I just got out my Official Police to check the latch dimension as compared to the one on the DS, and now I want to take the OP to the range.

The DS is going back to the 'smith; the sideplate is proud of the frame now and wasn't prior to the repair. I didn't notice it until after I had put the 130 rounds through it and it works fine, so I don't know if it's a result of the shooting plus the sideplate screws coming loose or if it was there before I shot it. The ejection issue was there prior to the repair. I'm going to see if he has checkering files and if so have him make the smooth front sight into a serrated one.

I just sent a PM asking about that before checking the thread....

Did you check the screws since its not seated down all the way?
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I just sent a PM asking about that before checking the thread....

Did you check the screws since its not seated down all the way?
    I responded to the PM. The screws are snug, I'm paranoid about tightening them too much with the sideplate not flush.

Site Supporter
    Update: We got the sideplate mostly flat. Apparently it had been tightened down with something stuck under it and was bent that way. It ejects empties better now.

It shares a characteristic with my 3" M10 in that it shoots 125-130s and 158s to the same POA. It shouldn't, but it does. My 642 requires 125-130s, while my 49 requires 148-158s.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Update: We got the sideplate mostly flat. Apparently it had been tightened down with something stuck under it and was bent that way. It ejects empties better now.

It shares a characteristic with my 3" M10 in that it shoots 125-130s and 158s to the same POA. It shouldn't, but it does. My 642 requires 125-130s, while my 49 requires 148-158s.
    I apologize for not getting back to you with numbers on the cylinder release to compare with yours, mine was close, but not exactly the same sizes, not different enough to indicate yours had the wrong part from a larger frame gun.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    @Malamute - No problem, we both have lives apart from this forum.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I wonder if its got a cylinder release from a larger frame gun in it?

Do you have any pictures?

This is what it should look like, cyl closed and open.

Attachment 82707

Attachment 82708
    Is your revolver an Agent or Commando Special?
    I carried a CS off duty in the '80s and stupidly sold it off a few years later.

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    Is your revolver an Agent or Commando Special?
    I carried a CS off duty in the '80s and stupidly sold it off a few years later.
    Its an Agent, so marked on the barrel. In the 1980s they did the dull finished version when they didnt have enough people to polish I believe.
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List